2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 957 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

noraaa

Rinkside
Sorry but I disagree. There are many deserving big fed skaters, it's true, but it would be unfair and negligent to take away spots from small fed skaters. Allowing skaters from these smaller feds to compete fosters a more global appreciation of skating and helps those skaters and their countries' programs improve! Javier Fernandez was 35th at his first Worlds and yet went on to win twice. It does the whole of skating a disservice to restrict spots the way you suggest. And allowing the Russian and Japanese ladies to fight for their spots also fosters great competition and pushes the sport higher.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Congratulations to all of the ladies! ALINA won her first worlds title and it is so well-deserved! EVGENIA proved herself here and earned another worlds medal! And SOFIA had an excellent senior debut at Worlds with a respectable top-10 finish :)

With the stack ladies on the Russian side, usually consistency is the name of the game.

With Medvedeva's success here, do you guys think skate offs for the favorites who do poorly in nationa//early season will be more often especially with Kostarnaii and Trusova moving up next year?

I think this year, it only happened for a special reason. No seniors on podium and top senior was Stasya who did not do her best at Euros. Also Liza was sick.

However, I don’t know how RusFed works that well but honestly I think they should see more recent skates. I think they monitored some of Evgenia’s and Alina’s practices (someone said before that they do this). A LOT can change from December to March. There are many skaters who do so well early season, but end up faltering end of season. There are also others who have an awful first half of the season and a good end. Or Alina, who struggled in the middle of the season.

I don’t know whether this progress check should come in the form of skate-offs or just progress monitoring.

I think skate-offs could be possible in the future. If a favorite doesn’t do well at Nats, doesn’t go to Euros, and they decide World team after Euros. Maybe someone doesn’t do well at Euros and gets switched out. Either way, the fight to get a spot will continue. Unlike other countries that decide Worlds team after Nats, I think RusFed has a lot more to consider with their extreme talent line-up.

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
Boring? In my opinion, Russian Nationals was hands down the most exciting event in figure skating this past season, in large part because it showcased more talent than any other event the whole season. Boring to me is this...https://d.pr/i/97sVgy.

To be clear, this isn't about showing preference to Russia or Japan or anyone else. This is about showing preference and respect to the best figure skaters in the world, who work their tails off their entire lives and rightfully deserve these spots. And it's about putting on the best possible show for fans, too.

Different strokes for different folks. Label me weird, but I've seen nothing yet that would entice me to watch Russian Nats, although I do like Evgenia, Liza and some other Russian skaters. I respect your opinion, but I prefer diversity and don't want to see it taken away. One more spot maybe, but even that would be opening a door for further spots per country to come. The balance between diversity and the best skaters out there, is what makes 'the best possible show' for me.

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
Rusfed must have watching practices closely when making their decisions. This was why Zhenya won the skate off despite Liza’s superior FS. I suspect she wasn’t hitting her 3A consistently in practices but happened to nail it during the skate off. I think the results indicate Rusfed did their picking just right.

ramed

On the Ice
Country
Russia
sorry but lilbet looks like 14, age doesnt matter, body shape matters.
Elizabeth recently told in an interview how she was treated like a kid on an international flight by the personnel, like "Oh darling you're so cute, get this toy, that's for you" - "Sorry I'm not a child I'm 19" - "Mmmm... never mind, just get it." :laugh:

DougDorsey

On the Ice
Different strokes for different folks. Label me weird, but I've seen nothing yet that would entice me to watch Russian Nats, although I do like Evgenia, Liza and some other Russian skaters. I respect your opinion, but I prefer diversity and don't want to see it taken away. One more spot maybe, but even that would be opening a door for further spots per country to come. The balance between diversity and the best skaters out there, is what makes 'the best possible show' for me.

I understand where you're coming from, and I agree that a diverse field has its benefits, too. I guess what I'm saying is that when the current system ensures that several of the best skaters in the world will certainly not appear on the world stage next year, something is broken, and it makes sense to sacrifice a little bit of that diversity to remedy this.

plushyfan

Record Breaker
Country
Hungary
Rusfed must have watching practices closely when making their decisions. This was why Zhenya won the skate off despite Liza’s superior FS. I suspect she wasn’t hitting her 3A consistently in practices but happened to nail it during the skate off. I think the results indicate Rusfed did their picking just right.

You don't know Liza would have landed in her 3As or wouldn't. Evgenia result doesn't prove anything in this mutter. I'm sure Rus Fed's decision was far from your explanation.

ramed

On the Ice
Country
Russia
Label me weird, but I've seen nothing yet that would entice me to watch Russian Nats, although I do like Evgenia, Liza and some other Russian skaters.
Aha... You don't want to watch the world's most technically advanced skater (Sasha Trusova), you also don't want to see the world's most artistic skater (Alena Kostornaya) and even the cross between the two above (Anna Shcherbakova)... Too bad... To each one's own :)

Lechat

On the Ice
Country
France
Congratulations to all of the ladies! ALINA won her first worlds title and it is so well-deserved! EVGENIA proved herself here and earned another worlds medal! And SOFIA had an excellent senior debut at Worlds with a respectable top-10 finish :)

Agree congratulation to the three young russian ladies for doing well at worlds this year. It was a good and exciting championship more than last year.

icybear

Medalist
Lol I just remembered that someone on here said that the Japanese ladies were going to sweep the podium after the Russian team was announced:rofl:

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
You don't know Liza would have landed in her 3As or wouldn't. Evgenia result doesn't prove anything in this mutter. I'm sure Rus Fed's decision was far from your explanation.
My point was that Rusfed may have based their decision on practices and not the actual skate off. They seemed to think Zhenya was skating better at the time and had the upward momentum.

zounger

Medalist
My point was that Rusfed may have based their decision on practices and not the actual skate off. They seemed to think Zhenya was skating better at the time and had the upward momentum.

I think there is some truth in that, but not entirely. Because otherwise Mishin wouldn't make the analogy with Doctor Zhivago and Pasternak.

NAOTMAA

Medalist
Evgenia got sent because her reputation and she had TAT politiking for her, PERIOD.

They're lucky it all worked out in the end but let's not kid ourselves and act the committee was all wise and knew things everyone else didn't because they didn't.