2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 999 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It's not how GP allocation system works. For senior GP events - it's ISU and other countries federations who decides what skater they invite based on their ranking and SB criterias. Nationals success or RusFed wishes have nothing to do with it. And so it happens that Sakhanovich has more higher SB score this season than those two. Therefore she has priority for ISU.

No. You forgot obvious limitation rule - one country can't have more than 18 spots at GP events. Divide it by two - and we have generally no more than 9 participants. And so it happens that Russia have much more skaters than that number - in SB top 24 list. Therefore priority is given to those who are at the top of the list. And those who are at the bottom - will be discarded. Guaranteed spot or not - there are only so much of them.

Idk :confused2:
Some low-level little-known skater, I suppose. Or acquaintance/relative of a skater who was training in the rink at that time. Or even some random passerby/onlooker.

See the above.

No, you have this wrong. If everyone is submitted by the Fed, EVERYONE with a guaranteed spot will get one. Fewer Russian skaters would get two spots, but if they are submitted Gubanova and Tarusina would get a spot each. Only the top 12 at Worlds are guaranteed 2 spots, everyone else is only guaranteed one, no matter how high their SB score is. And guaranteed spots are given out before they give people a 2nd spot. So they would give Evgenia, Alina and Sofia 2, then Sasha, Anna S, Liza, Alena, Serafima, Anna T, Anastasia G, Stanislava, and Maria 1 each. Then there would be 3 spots left that could give 3 girls a 2nd event. That’s why people speculate they won’t submit everyone, because they’ll want Eteri’s three girls and Liza to all have two at least.

As for Serafima, she’ll only get spots if the federation submits her, which they may not so that other girls can get two.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
No, you have this wrong. If everyone is submitted by the Fed, EVERYONE with a guaranteed spot will get one. Fewer Russian skaters would get two spots, but if they are submitted Gubanova and Tarusina would get a spot each. Only the top 12 at Worlds are guaranteed 2 spots, everyone else is only guaranteed one, no matter how high their SB score is. And guaranteed spots are given out before they give people a 2nd spot. So they would give Evgenia, Alina and Sofia 2, then Sasha, Anna S, Liza, Alena, Serafima, Anna T, Anastasia G, Stanislava, and Maria 1 each. Then there would be 3 spots left that could give 3 girls a 2nd event. That’s why people speculate they won’t submit everyone, because they’ll want Eteri’s three girls and Liza to all have two at least.

As for Serafima, she’ll only get spots if the federation submits her, which they may not so that other girls can get two.

Agree. And I think Serafima is in trouble as she didn't even qualify for Nationals this year and had a terrible skate at Russian Cup Final where she was 11th. I think it's very likely RusFed won't submit her at all.

Mawwerg

Final Flight
Agree. And I think Serafima is in trouble as she didn't even qualify for Nationals this year and had a terrible skate at Russian Cup Final where she was 11th. I think it's very likely RusFed won't submit her at all.

I think Maria could also be in trouble. Her season was hopeless and now she even left the leading CSKA team.

Edwin

СделаноВХрустальном!
Record Breaker
I agree with everything except this last part.

Lambiel more than the others, is a very good choreographer (the SP he did for Yulia was very cool and unique), like almost Lori Nichol's level, and he lives in Europe, it's easier to go there as opposed to North America and Canada with all the visa issues and also many russian coaches already spend their off-season time in Switzerland or Italy.

They should send more skaters to him, even for a month just for the programs, because honestly i haven't seen amazing programs from russian choreographers in Russia in a while. I don't know if it is lack of ideas, or bad vision, but it is a shame because you have these amazing girls like Kostornaya who already has great skating skills, she deserves some great material and instead you give that cheap RJ free program, you're doing a disservice to your skater.

I'm not saying Daniil or Eteri are bad choreographers (and most importantly this is a problem in general in Russia), they did good programs but when you set the bar so high for your skaters, the programs have to be that good as well.

As for korean girls at this stage they have to live abroad because Korea doesn't have the facilities and the experts to make them successful, they are clearly working well in the novice-juniors level cause all these girls have strong basis, but if you notice those that decide to stay there they don't win much.

Its OK to have a different opinion, it provides good arguments for a pleasant discussion ;-)

Choreography is a matter of personal taste and preference, and figure skating is still very much conservative oriented. Plus, routines probably need to have a worldwide appeal, hence the many 'warhorses' people skate to. EX is different, i just watched yesterday 2018 Euro's EX, and was amazed by the drums solo piece Kostner of all people used, very unusual, but not universally likeable I thought.

Has there ever been any Russian figure skater, under the age of 18 so on FFKKR stipend, that had a foreigner consistently and effectively do their winning routines?
Russia has a great tradition in ballet, is this tradition used to full extent in figure skating? But then too many 'classical' choreographies might perhaps be a limitation, and we've grown out of tutu routines??

It sure would be nice to have some of the best Russian men, women or pairs have a foreigner do their choreo. Let's pretend it is a 10K all inclusive package: a months stay, daily choreo work, but what about the other requirements, PE, skating skills, or whatever? Is a month even enough if the choreo doesn't 'stick' and the pro choreographer has to work overtime to get something done right?
And is there a guaranteed return of investment, i.e. at least equal, possibly much better scores?

For all intentions, I'd love to see such an amazing natural skater like Kostornaya really break her bonds and have a skate choreo done by one of the worlds best :)

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
It's not how GP allocation system works. For senior GP events - it's ISU and other countries federations who decides what skater they invite based on their ranking and SB criterias. Nationals success or RusFed wishes have nothing to do with it. And so it happens that Sakhanovich has more higher SB score this season than those two. Therefore she has priority for ISU.

No. You forgot obvious limitation rule - one country can't have more than 18 spots at GP events. Divide it by two - and we have generally no more than 9 participants. And so it happens that Russia have much more skaters than that number - in SB top 24 list. Therefore priority is given to those who are at the top of the list. And those who are at the bottom - will be discarded. Guaranteed spot or not - there are only so much of them.

Idk :confused2:
Some low-level little-known skater, I suppose. Or acquaintance/relative of a skater who was training in the rink at that time. Or even some random passerby/onlooker.

See the above.

But Sima can't get spots if she's not even submitted. And it would seem more likely for Anna and Anastasia to be submitted, as they were 8th and 9th at Nationals, whereas Serafima didn't qualify at all. Both girls also come from CSKA, but Serafima comes from a lesser-known coach in St. Petersburg. I do love Sima, but it wouldn't be fair for her to get spots above the other two girls.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I don’t blame the Russian Fed from not encouraging their skaters to train abroad. By keeping the talent in the country they keep the skater coach ecosystem alive and so the next wave of Russian skaters can be trained at home.

Neither do I. It is completely understandable.

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
Great spins, nice flow on the jumps and good extension. I just wish she would slow down a bit--I felt like she was racing the music the entire time.

Look at it. we speak about 12 y. o. girl whose overall skills can match even some very seasoned adult skaters, so we nearly ignore that she is really just 12 now and has a plenty of time to develop. While there are hudreds, maybe thousands of other girls her age all aroud the world who can't match her (and her teammates) at all and nobody would say "if only she would not race the music" or something like that. They would be just junior girls who have plenty of time to develop :)

That being said, I know nobody, even her, can't freeze on the spot she is, it's just remarkable how with great skills rather than recognition more demands come :)

flanker

Record Breaker
Country
Czech-Republic
I must have missed a lot of weekend news. So, there’s a rumor that Kostornaya might be leaving Eteri, Gubanova and Tarakanova are STILL remaining junior, and it’s apparently a trend to announce your music choices early.

These rumors about Alyona are like a month old and I think there is not a single reason to take them seriously.

Scott512

Record Breaker
Stanislava Konstantinova will be skating to Moulin Rouge for the FS for the 2019/20 season

I must have missed a lot of weekend news. So, there’s a rumor that Kostornaya might be leaving Eteri, Gubanova and Tarakanova are STILL remaining junior, and it’s apparently a trend to announce your music choices early.

Gubanova wasn't Junior last year because she didn't skate any Junior events so why should be junior next season especially since she turns 17 in December? She needs to skate in a few challengers and that one Grand Prix event. If they make her stay in juniors it must be so deflating for her.

I do like moulin rouge music for Stasya.

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
I think Sakhanovich is most in danger of not getting submitted, then Gubanova/Tarusina/Sotskova

Zagitova, Medvedeva, Samodurova are guaranteed 2 - that's 6 spots
Trusova, Shcherbakova, Kostornaia, Tuktamysheva are guaranteed 1, but I'd think rusfed wants them all to get 2 - that's another 8 spots
Konstantinova is guaranteed 1 and will probably be submitted - that's another spot

Which leaves 3 spots for Sotskova, Gubanova, Tarusina, and Sakhanovich, meaning at least one girl isn't going to get submitted (likely Sakhanovich). If they want Konstantinova to get a second spot, they'll have to not submit another girl (Sotskova/Gubanova/Tarusina).

There's essentially zero chance that any of the non-guaranteed skaters are getting GP spots

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Alina skating to Le Mis, as someone suggested she would, sounds about right. But maybe she’ll do Firebird. I’m trying to go through the list of warhorses and pick just one.

At this point, I fear that Guliakova and Sakhanovich and Fedichkina are done. No way to get GP assignments, no way to be seen. I feel so bad for them. 😔

Tarusina and Gubanova still have a chance.

Is ABBA girl still competing? Where is she? Can she get Internationals?

sk8r4ever

On the Ice
Alina skating to Le Mis, as someone suggested she would, sounds about right. But maybe she’ll do Firebird. I’m trying to go through the list of warhorses and pick just one.

At this point, I fear that Guliakova and Sakhanovich and Fedichkina are done. No way to get GP assignments, no way to be seen. I feel so bad for them. [emoji17]

Tarusina and Gubanova still have a chance.

Is ABBA girl still competing? Where is she? Can she get Internationals?

What does ABBA mean?

Happy Skates

Final Flight
I think Sakhanovich is most in danger of not getting submitted, then Gubanova/Tarusina/Sotskova

Zagitova, Medvedeva, Samodurova are guaranteed 2 - that's 6 spots
Trusova, Shcherbakova, Kostornaia, Tuktamysheva are guaranteed 1, but I'd think rusfed wants them all to get 2 - that's another 8 spots
Konstantinova is guaranteed 1 and will probably be submitted - that's another spot

Which leaves 3 spots for Sotskova, Gubanova, Tarusina, and Sakhanovich, meaning at least one girl isn't going to get submitted (likely Sakhanovich). If they want Konstantinova to get a second spot, they'll have to not submit another girl (Sotskova/Gubanova/Tarusina).

There's essentially zero chance that any of the non-guaranteed skaters are getting GP spots

Hmmm so I've been wondering, let's say RusFed submits their worlds ladies, Eteri's 3A, Tukt, Konstantinova, Tarusina, and Gubanova, just as a hypothetical. I would assume if they submitted that group they would want Tarusina and Gubanova to each get one and the rest to get two (although if it were up to me, I'd have Konstantinova being the one to only get one but we know thats not what they want). So, if all of those girls are submitted, how would RusFed guarantee that it turns out like this and that girls like Trusova, Shcherbakova, and Kostornaia get two spots? Because some federations might want to invite "weaker" skaters to protect their own, so would there be a chance that a deserving skater is left with one, while another skater gets two because other federations don't see them as as much of a threat? I assume there is probably politics that goes on behind this, but I wonder if this is a factor when choosing how many girls to submit.

Jontor

Medalist
Country
Sweden
Hmmm so I've been wondering, let's say RusFed submits their worlds ladies, Eteri's 3A, Tukt, Konstantinova, Tarusina, and Gubanova, just as a hypothetical. I would assume if they submitted that group they would want Tarusina and Gubanova to each get one and the rest to get two (although if it were up to me, I'd have Konstantinova being the one to only get one but we know thats not what they want). So, if all of those girls are submitted, how would RusFed guarantee that it turns out like this and that girls like Trusova, Shcherbakova, and Kostornaia get two spots? Because some federations might want to invite "weaker" skaters to protect their own, so would there be a chance that a deserving skater is left with one, while another skater gets two because other federations don't see them as as much of a threat? I assume there is probably politics that goes on behind this, but I wonder if this is a factor when choosing how many girls to submit.

I don't know how this "invitation" process works, but if we look at this season's assignments, the top 24 on the SB list all got 2 spots. So I guess there are certain rules that prohibits federations to choose "weaker" girls instead of the top 24??

Ziotic

Medalist
I don't know how this "invitation" process works, but if we look at this season's assignments, the top 24 on the SB list all got 2 spots. So I guess there are certain rules that prohibits federations to choose "weaker" girls instead of the top 24??

They would still be top 24 it’s just choosing Gubanova over Trusova type of issue.