2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
It's timeeee! Russian ice dance has its thread and ladies are deeper so we need one :) and I will be the one to do it :biggrin:

Championships Entries and Results
European Championships: Samodurova (1, 213.84), Zagitova (2, 198.34), Konstantinova (4, 189.72)
EYOF: Anna Shcherbakova (1, 202.79)
Winter Universiade: Konstantinova (3, 205.91), Sotskova (7, 170.20)
Junior World Championships: Trusova (1, 222.89), Shcherbakova (2, 219.94), UPDATED: Sinitsyna (4, 188.84)
World Championships: Zagitova (1, 237.50), Medvedeva (3, 223.80), Samodurova (8, 208.58)
World Team Trophy: Team Russia (3, 102)

Ladies with GP spots:
1. Alina Zagitova: Grand Prix Finland, Rostelecom Cup
2. Evgenia Medvedeva: Skate Canada, Internationaux de France
3. Maria Sotskova: NHK Trophy, Internationaux de France
4. Polina Tsurskaya: Skate America, Rostelecom Cup
5. Alena Leonova: NHK Trophy
6. Stanislava Konstantinova: Grand Prix Finland, Internationaux de France
7. Elizaveta Tuktamysheva: Skate Canada, NHK Trophy
8. Daria Panenkova: Skate Canada, Grand Prix Finland
9. Sofia Samodurova: Skate America, UPDATED: Rostelecom Cup

Grand Prix entries and results:

Skate America: Samodurova (3, 198.70), Tsurskaya (7, 159.45)
Skate Canada: Tuktamysheva (1, 203.32), Medvedeva (3, 197.91), Panenkova (9, 168.54)
Grand Prix Finland: Zagitova (1, 215.29), Konstantinova (2, 197.57), Panenkova (6, 161.48)
NHK Trophy: Tuktamysheva (3, 219.02), Leonova (7, 194.15), Sotskova (9, 176.99)
Rostelecom Cup: Zagitova (1, 222.95), Samodurova (2, 198.01), Tsurskaya (8, 147.45)
Internationaux de France: Medvedeva (4, 192.81 :(), Konstantinova (5, 189.67), Sotskova (7, 177.59)

Grand prix final qualifiers and results:

Zagitova (2, 226.53), Tuktamysheva (3, 215.32), Samodurova (5, 204.33)
*Konstantinova is second alternate, Medvedeva is third alternate*

JGP entries and results:

Week 1: Bratislava: Shcherbakova (1, 205.39), Tarusina (2, 186.68)
Week 2: Linz: Kostornaya (1, 203.50), UPDATED: Kanysheva (2, 191.84)
Week 3: Kaunas: Trusova (1, 221.44), UPDATED: Sinitsyna (3, 187.91)
Week 4: Richmond: Shcherbakova (1, 195.56), Tarakanova (2, 190.69)
Week 5: Ostrava: Kostornaya (1, 198.38), Vasilieva (3, 182.87)
Week 6: Ljubljana: UPDATED: Tarakanova (1, 190.05), Tarusina (2, 188.24)
Week 7: Yerevan: UPDATED: Trusova (1, 221.00), Kanysheva (2, 187.55)

Junior grand prix final qualifiers and results:
Anna Shcherbakova (5, 181.83)
Alena Kostornaya (1, 217.98)
Anastasia Tarakanova (4, 190.46)
Alena Kanysheva (3, 198.14)
Alexandra Trusova (2, 215.20)
*Anna Tarusina is first alternate*

Challenger Series Entries and Results:
Asian Open: no ladies
US Classic: no ladies
Autumn Classic: Evgenia Medvedeva (2, 204.89)
Lombardia Trophy: Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (1, 206.07), Sofia Samodurova (2, 184.82)
Ondrej Nepela: Stanislava Konstantinova (3, 180.02), Polina Tsurskaya (4, 154.61)
Nebelhorn Trophy: UPDATED: Alina Zagitova (1, 238.43)
Finlandia Trophy: UPDATED: Stanislava Konstantinova (4, 187.13), Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (1, 202.85)
Alpen Trophy: Anna Tarusina (1, 198.76), UPDATED: Serafima Sakhanovich (2, 174.36)
Tallinn Trophy: Serafima Sakhanovich (1, 202.62), Anastasia Gubanova (4, 180.73), Daria Panenkova (5, 173.61)
Golden Spin: Anastasia Gubanova (2, 198.65), UPDATED: Anastasia Gulyakova (4, 188.90), UPDATED: Maria Sotskova (5, 179.72)

Other international competitions:

Minsk-Arena Ice Star: JUNIOR: Safonova (1, 174.07), Sultanmagomedova (3, 140.64); SENIOR: Mostenets (8, 131.78)
Golden Bear: JUNIOR: Kanysheva (1, 197.90)
Volvo Open Cup: ADVANCED NOVICE: Kurnosenko (8, 86.40)
Alpen Trophy (advanced novice and junior version of Inge Solar Memorial): ADVANCED NOVICE: Berestovskaya (1, 134.05), Samodelkina (2, 133.47); JUNIOR: Vasilieva (1, 183.40)
Warsaw Cup: SENIOR: Gulyakova (1, 178.39)
Dragon Trophy: SENIOR: Tuktamysheva (1,188+), Gulyakova (2, 163+?), JUNIOR: Solovieva (1)

Changes:
Anna Kuzmenko will now represent France
Ekaterina Kurakova will now represent Poland
Alina Soupian will now represent Israel
Polina Shuboderova will now represent Israel
Ekaterina Ryabova will now represent Azerbaijan

SB list:
1. Zagitova: 238.43, Nebelhorn Trophy
2. Tuktamysheva: 234.43, World Team Trophy
6. Medvedeva: 223.80, World Championships
8. Trusova: 222.89, Junior World Championships
9. Shcherbakova: 219.94, Junior World Championships
11. Kostornaya: 217.98, Junior Grand Prix Final
12. Samodurova: 213.84, European Championships
18. Sakhanovich: 202.62, Tallinn Trophy
20. Tarusina: 198.76, Inge Solar Memorial
21. Gubanova: 198.65, Golden Spin of Zagreb
22. Kanysheva: 198.14, Junior Grand Prix Final
23. Konstantinova: 197.57, Grand Prix Finland
Russian ladies occupy half of the top 24 spots of the Season's Best list

Russian ladies' medal count:

Gold: 27
Silver: 17
Bronze: 13
Total Season Medals: 57

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
I'm honestly already ready for next season. To put worlds behind us and shift gears to the juniors.

I think these girls will get a first JGP next season:
1. Trusova
2. Kostornaya
3. Tarakanova
4. Shcherbakova
5. Kanysheva
6. Vasilieva
7. Sinitsyna

and they will battle it out for a second one.

More questions to consider:
Out of the following, who will move to seniors?
Options: Panenkova, Konstantinova, Gubanova, Samodurova, Nugumanova, Gulyakova

How will Sakhanovich and Gubanova look under their new coaches?

- - - Updated - - -

When's the first competition of the new season?

August 22-25, 2018 JGP Slovakia in Bratislava

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
What of Alisa Fedichkina? She’s old enough for seniors. Maybe she got over the puberty monster and is back and ready to go. In the summertime, is that when the Russian federation monitors the skaters and decides who goes where??

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Oh, and the “Ghost” girl? The one who skates for Eteri and looks as if she’s already past the puberty hump? Is she old enough for seniors?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Do you guys think Konstantinova is done for after what happened at worlds?
Wasn't the last time, why would she now?
What of Alisa Fedichkina? She’s old enough for seniors. Maybe she got over the puberty monster and is back and ready to go. In the summertime, is that when the Russian federation monitors the skaters and decides who goes where??
She just skated at St. PB Cup Finals.

SP FS

Personally, I think she's done.

kenboy123

On the Ice
After what happened yesterday, Eteri is not going to let Zagitova see the light of day ever again, Zagitova's career is pretty much over... She will follow in the footsteps of Lipnitskaya...

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
After what happened yesterday, Eteri is not going to let Zagitova see the light of day ever again, Zagitova's career is pretty much over... She will follow in the footsteps of Lipnitskaya...

No. It's a bad day and Eteri knew that. Alina won the OGM and while she might have what Eteri does with Zhenya, they do get on well. All this dramatics doesn't help.

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest, I fear she won't even make Nationals next year. Same thing with Kolomiets, Tarusina, and Ogoreltseva.

MissBeeFarm

On the Ice
No. It's a bad day and Eteri knew that. Alina won the OGM and while she might have what Eteri does with Zhenya, they do get on well. All this dramatics doesn't help.

To add to that: it would be enormously stupid. Alina still is, by technical merit alone, the most capable senior skater currently. She (and Zhenya) are Eteri's (and Russia's) best seniors, why would anybody give that up? Because a 15-y.o. had a bad day after a very long season, a 15-y.o. who was unbeatable until then, crazily consistent until then and definitely didn't have a good preparation leading up to this competition?
Who knows what'll happen once the quad and 3A girls turn senior, but that's a year away.

Shayuki

Record Breaker

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest, I fear she won't even make Nationals next year. Same thing with Kolomiets, Tarusina, and Ogoreltseva.
Tarusina not making nationals? Some totally random names made nationals this season, even... Tarusina's a consistent 190p skater, that should be a lock for nationals. No?

Also, remember the significant injury she suffered a year and a half ago. Her jumps will probably become a bit higher over time. I doubt she could have fully recovered after something like that in such a short amount of time.

"Two of the ladies competitors, Anna Tarusina and Anzelika Klujeva, Tarusina’s coach Sergei Davydov, and one of Klujeva’s coaches were headed to the rink in a minibus when the driver lost control and hit an electronic pole."

"The Russian federation announced today that Tarusina will require surgery on her knee."

Usually, significant knee injuries take a very long time to recover fully from. The hope is, next season her jumps will be a little bit higher.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Well maybe not Tarusina, but it'll be hard. She won't have a GP, she won't have a JGP probably.
Also this year's Nationals saw a lot of big names withdraw and a girls who qualified but weren't eligible but will be next year

moriel

Record Breaker
Luckily we have 3 spots for all important competitions still.
Nationals are still a bloodbath, and would be even more of a bloodbath.

Personally, I expect Konstantinova to move to seniors now that she has 2 GP spots.
Overall, makes sense to Panenkova too - while she will lose to Kostornaya and Trusova, she has better chances in senior, where she could fight for #3-#4 of the team.

- - - Updated - - -

Well maybe not Tarusina, but it'll be hard. She won't have a GP, she won't have a JGP probably.
Also this year's Nationals saw a lot of big names withdraw and a girls who qualified but weren't eligible but will be next year

For JGP, i see rusfed doing the same as they did last year. Giving each girl a spot, and then giving a second one to whoever has a chance for JGPF.

kenboy123

On the Ice

- - - Updated - - -

Didn't a bad day kill Lipnitskaya's career, it started a string of never ending problems, only time will tell if Zagitova will head into that direction.. But it could definitely go into that direction...

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Tarusina might or might not have a JGP. But she's not bad. She's better than Konstantinova probably. And she's consistent. At least 5 competitions in a row, no mistakes. I hope RusFed's smartened up a bit regarding sending ticking timebombs to world championships(And I'm not referring to Zagitova here)... For qualifying to nationals you just need to do pretty well at Russia Cup etaps and even an average of 170 or so would be enough. Anna Tarusina actually skated a FS today at a local competition:

Anna Tarusina FS

So honestly, that sort of a skate would have received jr worlds bronze and probably a pretty decent position at senior worlds, right(Is it really worse than Bradie Tennell?)?

Watermelondrea

Final Flight
Wasn't the last time, why would she now?

She just skated at St. PB Cup Finals.

SP FS

Personally, I think she's done.

Why does everyone think Fedichkina is done? Is she still with Rukavicin? Someone PLEASE move her to Buainova or something!!! When you said she was done and linked those performances, I expected disasters. They were two clean programs (minus a popped loop) with great technical content! She still has great spins, and I think with some work with someone else, she could really challenge. With the work she does in the short program, I don't know see any reason why she couldn't do the 0-7 layout with some conditioning. Why does no one recognize her as a threat?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Why does everyone think Fedichkina is done? Is she still with Rukavicin? Someone PLEASE move her to Buainova or something!!! When you said she was done and linked those performances, I expected disasters. They were two clean programs (minus a popped loop) with great technical content! She still has great spins, and I think with some work with someone else, she could really challenge. With the work she does in the short program, I don't know see any reason why she couldn't do the 0-7 layout with some conditioning. Why does no one recognize her as a threat?
So... In Russia, there are about two dozen skaters who are capable of skating clean 7 triple programs. She's not capable of doing so. This was 174.80 points at a notoriously overscored competition which, as you even say, could even be considered a very good performance for her. That's not enough... for anything. She would even struggle making senior nationals. Let alone getting to compete internationally anywhere but potentially some smaller challenger events.

175-180 seems to be her range. She had one 194 point performance this season, but otherwise... That's really not good enough for anything significant.

Of course, she's probably not "done" in the sense that she can probably continue skating in some challenger events and Russian locals. But grand prix, actual championships? I just don't see any way. Even qualification for senior nationals will be a true struggle.

Of course, if she had had actual disasters with many falls, that could just be a bad competition. But she gets low scores, low PCS. And that's something happening consistently. It means that the fed has no faith in her. Anastasia Kolomiets completely outscored her in PCS, and she's a ... complete no-name.