2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 40 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Elucidus

Match Penalty
Well duh - russian girls are prettiest girls in a world after all - it's no wonder athletes are beauties as well :dance3:
I don't say that other nations can't have models also - they can. But as a whole picture russian athletes have more quality and quantity in that sense ;)

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Let's see...

Kamila Valieva April 26 2006 birthday. In 2015 Moscow basic novice championships she placed 21st with 116.76 points. School Moskvich.

Ksenia Melkumova May 1 2009 birthday. In 2018 Moscow basic novice championships she placed 21st with 115.83 points. School Moskvich.

Hopefully Melkumova will have a similar trajectory and improvement over the next couple of years and hopefully she'll additionally be with Eteri in 2021~

hanyuyuzuru1207

Match Penalty
Let's see...

Kamila Valieva April 26 2006 birthday. In 2015 Moscow basic novice championships she placed 21st with 116.76 points. School Moskvich.

Ksenia Melkumova May 1 2009 birthday. In 2018 Moscow basic novice championships she placed 21st with 115.83 points. School Moskvich.

Hopefully Melkumova will have a similar trajectory and improvement over the next couple of years and hopefully she'll additionally be with Eteri in 2021~
Kamila was born in 2006? So in 2022 she will be 16!! Wow just in time for Beijing [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]

andromache

Record Breaker
Well duh - russian girls are prettiest girls in a world after all - it's no wonder athletes are beauties as well :dance3:
I don't say that other nations can't have models also - they can. But as a whole picture russian athletes have more quality and quantity in that sense ;)

Maybe this is just a cultural difference, but I get sick and tired seeing fans of hardworking female athletes choosing to single them out for their beauty and/or appearance. Especially when its used as a point of nationalism like "our athletes are better looking than yours." Um, who cares? Btw, they're children. Looks of kids shouldn't matter.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Kamila was born in 2006? So in 2022 she will be 16!! Wow just in time for Beijing [emoji3][emoji3][emoji3]
Yeah... Some time back there was some discussion about skaters born around the same time as Lipnitskaya / Zagitova for the next Olympics and out of those Kamila Valieva would be the most promising, especially if she can get her jumps consistent. She indeed has good height on the jumps and the technique seems pretty good as well. They've just been wildly inconsistent... I really hope that she gets some help there.

moriel

Record Breaker
Maybe this is just a cultural difference, but I get sick and tired seeing fans of hardworking female athletes choosing to single them out for their beauty and/or appearance. Especially when its used as a point of nationalism like "our athletes are better looking than yours." Um, who cares? Btw, they're children. Looks of kids shouldn't matter.

If we are to be honest, all athletic young people are beautiful.
So for me, such discussion "our skaters are cuter than yours" is more of an offseason fangame, since we have no performances to compare.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker

I agree 100%. I mean, obviously there's nothing wrong in complimenting someone's beauty, but I think it's demeaning to their athletic prowess to focus on it too much, and yes, they are so young too.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
:think:
Looks just are going to be a part of performance sports. And well, if someone is pretty they're pretty. I don't see the sense in attempting to turn a compliment into an insult...

..., since we have no performances to compare.
Oh there are plenty of performances, just need to look for them! Some very interesting competitions will be going on in the next few weeks.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Yeah... Some time back there was some discussion about skaters born around the same time as Lipnitskaya / Zagitova for the next Olympics and out of those Kamila Valieva would be the most promising, especially if she can get her jumps consistent. She indeed has good height on the jumps and the technique seems pretty good as well. They've just been wildly inconsistent... I really hope that she gets some help there.

Well, she's with Eteri now, so that should follow... just look at Tarakanova. Yes she's messed up this season, but wayyyy less than she did under Panova.

esteticlove

Final Flight
I watched yesterday a very interesting documentary about Russian rhythmic gymnastics from 2015 and wanted to share it with you. Around the 25min I was amazed how everything the coach says (about making complex programs etc.) can apply to figure skating nowadays. (for example, Zagitova having the highest BV, by doing a full backloading, in combination with the upcoming ISU change rules and all the public discussions whether such thing should be penalised)

https://youtu.be/Tgj5sUH3ULM?t=25m45s

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
:think:
Looks just are going to be a part of performance sports. And well, if someone is pretty they're pretty. I don't see the sense in attempting to turn a compliment into an insult...

Of course there's nothing wrong in saying someone is pretty and paying them a compliment :) as long as it doesn't turn into a competition of 'who's prettier' ahah - especially when there are children involved :noshake:

I don't know if looks should be part of the sport - if you mean: picking the right costume\hair\makeup then absolutely yes, but nobody should be penalized for not having perfect genes!

millie

Medalist
I was just skimming through some of these comments about these young Russian girls and their appearance. How old are some of these little girls 8, 9,10? Isn’t it a bit over the top for them to be talked about it such a way to suggest other than that they are little girls that are skaters....minors. Just saying...It don’t sound nice. It’s nice to talk about their skating but their bodies not nice !
In my opinion, they are being objectified!🤨

tars

Record Breaker
I was just skimming through some of these comments about these young Russian girls and their appearance. How old are some of these little girls 8, 9,10? Isn’t it a bit over the top for them to be talked about it such a way to suggest other than that they are little girls that are skaters....minors. Just saying...It don’t sound nice. It’s nice to talk about their skating but their bodies not nice !
In my opinion, they are being objectified!🤨
The most objectified figure skaters in the world are Japanese male skaters. When I see all those middle aged women squealing in the stands with tears in their perverted eyes at the sight of young skinny boys in tight costumes, I want to throw up. :hopelessness::disapp:

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
When I see all those middle aged women squealing in the stands with tears in their perverted eyes

Excuse me, but this is so rude and disrespectful? I have met so many, lovely middle aged women when I was in Milan and they were so passionate about the sport. This is just wrong.

moriel

Record Breaker
I watched yesterday a very interesting documentary about Russian rhythmic gymnastics from 2015 and wanted to share it with you. Around the 25min I was amazed how everything the coach says (about making complex programs etc.) can apply to figure skating nowadays. (for example, Zagitova having the highest BV, by doing a full backloading, in combination with the upcoming ISU change rules and all the public discussions whether such thing should be penalised)

https://youtu.be/Tgj5sUH3ULM?t=25m45s

btw this is interesting also for all those people who get mad because controlling weight is part of sport.