2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 43 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

lavenderblossom

Record Breaker
I really don't think Zhenya's 4S is something we might be seeing next season, foot injury to be one the main reasons. But I do believe in her doing 3Lo combos, ‘cause loop is her second strongest jump after salchov. As for other BV increase, I also really dislike her 2A-2T-2T combo, it’s not that expensive yet probably her most uncomfortable combo in terms of execution. Replacing it with, for instance, +1Lo3S combo would be much more beneficial.

+1Lo3S actually decreases her BV by replacing a double with a single. It would only be worth if she put in 4S, because then she could do three 3-3 combos in order to not waste a triple.

I think if she goes back to the Leftovers she should put the lutz in the first half and both 2As in the second half. Or if she starts doing 3F3Lo, do that in the first half only and put the rest of the jumps in the second half, until it's as reliable as her 3F3T.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Find the posts you want to quote and then look for where it says “reply with quote” in the bottom right of that post. To the right of “reply with quote” is a little quote box with a plus sign. When you select it then it should turn blue with a check mark. You can go thru all the posts you want to quote and select them and then respond to them all at once on one post.

As to editing...once you make a post you can always go back to it and click “edit post” on that very post to fix it.

Thanks! I think I figured it out now. :)

I really don't think Zhenya's 4S is something we might be seeing next season, foot injury to be one the main reasons. But I do believe in her doing 3Lo combos, ‘cause loop is her second strongest jump after salchov. As for other BV increase, I also really dislike her 2A-2T-2T combo, it’s not that expensive yet probably her most uncomfortable combo in terms of execution. Replacing it with, for instance, +1Lo3S combo would be much more beneficial.

In no way in no way are we going to see a quad from Evgenia next season. She is hardworking and determined but she‘s also injured. Without the injury it would already be doubtfoul because landing quads confidently and consistently enough to be able to land them in competitions doesn‘t come from nowhere. I do hope she keeps training it and surprises us somewhere in the future!

I‘m not really a fan of having a single jump in between a combo because to my (probably still unexperienced eye) it looks like... well some kind of step out. But I agree she should do something about her BV. But knowing Eteri, she‘ll already have a plan in her mind since seeing the „2“ next to Evgenia‘s scores at the OG. :D I‘d also love to see this Leftover program again. I watched it on YT and it‘s beautiful while also attempting a more difficult layout. And there‘s also the fact that it wasn‘t really finished because she changed it so quickly. Besides - a silly reason - but the dress is too beautiful to never be seen again/only during exhibitions.

I‘m interested in whether Alina will come back with another ballet themed program. It worked for her, so probably yes?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Not quite sure, where do you see a decrease, because 2A-1Lo-3S > 2A-2T-2T
Because a double is replaced by a single. It's said in the post you quoted.

Don't ever compare elements one by one. Compare entire jump layouts. All seven jumping passes.

The 3Salchow will be performed anyway. It doesn't matter whether it's in a combo or as a solo jump.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Anybody have a link to Evgenia performing her “Leftovers/ January Stars” program? I think she performed it several times earlier in the season but I cannot find it anywhere. I’d like to see her at the Russian test skates or the other small competitions. Did she really perform poorly or are people just ragging on her?

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Anybody have a link to Evgenia performing her “Leftovers/ January Stars” program? I think she performed it several times earlier in the season but I cannot find it anywhere. I’d like to see her at the Russian test skates or the other small competitions. Did she really perform poorly or are people just ragging on her?
Yes... she struggled on the jumps, had falls or step outs etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLbWAJa3xtM

I don't think it was very good.

Fluture

Record Breaker
Yes... she struggled on the jumps, had falls or step outs etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLbWAJa3xtM

I don't think it was very good.

Well, she did have some mistakes here, no point arguing that, but she also didn‘t skate this program very often. The thing with backloaded programs is that you have to practice them A LOT because there‘s just so many jumps and not a lot of time in between. Thinking back, Alina had lots of issues with her programs until she finally made them work. And again, we saw at Worlds how crazy they really are: One fall and you’re pretty much screwed. So, I think with Evgenia they just wanted to play it safe due to it being the Olympic season but now she‘s got all the time in the world (well, one season before the quad-ies turn senior) to practice this program. And I find it really beautiful, I think it does have all the potential to be really stunning one day.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker

Zhenya's axel has always been bad, but again, I don't think we can really count this season as evidence because she was injured. It's as simple as that.

Lutz edge? It was bad before this year, so yes, count it. Axel? Always been poor. But we don't know if she's losing her jumps or if it's the injury - and tbh, skating like she did with a fracture in her foot is quite impressive.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Looking at the 2018 -2019 team who are the leaders. I would think Evgenia and Alina (as long as puberty doesn't set in) are the leaders but the third spot Sotskova has not donewell at the big events. How Anna P doing? Or could Liza T or Radinova sneak back on the team. There is also Polina T but she seems tobe always injured. At there best I would go with Evgenia Alina and Anna.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Daria Panenkova can actually jump clean competitions rather consistently so unless she begins struggling due to puberty or such, she might be able to make enough of a name for herself to force them to have her as the #3.

Otherwise, I assume a CSKA skater would have the advantage because they probably don't want all three to be Eteri's girls...

Fluture

Record Breaker
Looking at the 2018 -2019 team who are the leaders. I would think Evgenia and Alina (as long as puberty doesn't set in) are the leaders but the third spot Sotskova has not donewell at the big events. How Anna P doing? Or could Liza T or Radinova sneak back on the team. There is also Polina T but she seems tobe always injured. At there best I would go with Evgenia Alina and Anna.

Evgenia and Alina are obviously set in stone, especially after OG. Polina‘d be my first choice as her jumps are brilliant when she‘s on but she‘s still battling injury, I think. Anna P has problems with her back, I believe. What‘s the problem with Maria Sotskova, though? She skated okay, if not good, at both OG and Worlds. Of course, she‘s not as interesting and consistent at the same time as Evgenia and Alina, but she‘s been there and she‘s delivered. I mean, come on, we’ve had Stanislava Konstantinova at Worlds and her performance there really wasn’t great. And Maria still placed in the top 10 both times which isn’t bad by any means. I‘d be just fine with Maria beinh Russian #3 before the quad girls turn up and mix up the game. But just saying, any of the other would be fine by me, too, so...

madison

Record Breaker
Evgenia and Alina are obviously set in stone, especially after OG. Polina‘d be my first choice as her jumps are brilliant when she‘s on but she‘s still battling injury, I think. Anna P has problems with her back, I believe. What‘s the problem with Maria Sotskova, though? She skated okay, if not good, at both OG and Worlds. Of course, she‘s not as interesting and consistent at the same time as Evgenia and Alina, but she‘s been there and she‘s delivered. I mean, come on, we’ve had Stanislava Konstantinova at Worlds and her performance there really wasn’t great. And Maria still placed in the top 10 both times which isn’t bad by any means. I‘d be just fine with Maria beinh Russian #3 before the quad girls turn up and mix up the game. But just saying, any of the other would be fine by me, too, so...

Nobody is set in stone, especially in ladies at Russian Nationals. Do you think that if one of them has a really bad season (not only at Nationals) will make the team? I doubt.

moriel

Record Breaker

Evgenia is set in stone if she is healthy. Even if her tech below what some of the younger girls do, her consistency and working ethics will keep her on top.
Alina... I think she is safe on top too. Looking at her recent pictures from shows, her body looks pretty mature (you cannot say she looks like a kid at this point), but still she manages to jump just fine (ifaik she performed her SP at shows, jumps and all). She also has a lot of room to improve in the artistry department, and a good TES safety cushion (if she has troubles with jumps, she can just more a few to first half, 2/3 jumps in first half will still allow you to be on top).
I would say those two are there already.

Sotskova. She seems to be still struggling with URs, and her skating is considered boring by many. Also, russian fed made it pretty clear this year that they do not want a team of 3 Eteri girls on major international events.
Konstantinova. Russian fed propped her this season like if she was Putin's secret love child. While she bombed all major international competitions, i think she will still be propped a lot in Russia (top finish at nationals, maybe a medal at Rostelecom).
Tsurskaya. Healthy Tsurskaya is by far stronger than Sotskova and Konstantinova. If she manages to improve her consistency a bit, and get a good FS (honestly, she can keep the SP for the third year, it is not like we have seen it everywhere), she has a chance to beat Sotskova and Konstantinova. On the other hand, I suspect that rusfed does not want 3 eteri girls at major comps, so that is against her.
No clue how the things will turn between those 3, really, we need to see how they will be doing next season.

Question marks, Anna P and Daria P. Not sure what is going on with Anna's back, and also her meltdowns are scary as hell, and can mess up a lot of her chances. Daria P was kinda eclipsed by other talented juniors, and not sure how she will be received as senior. I dont think judges will gift her lots of PCs, looking at her junior scores. But on the other hand, if she gets good programs...

Liza T and Lena Radionova are imho on a downward spiral over the last seasons. I suppose at this point they kinda moved on with their lives also, and don't think they are hungry enough to change that regression trend. Looking at their results last year, kinda looks like that.

tars

Record Breaker
Nobody is set in stone, especially in ladies at Russian Nationals. Do you think that if one of them has a really bad season (not only at Nationals) will make the team? I doubt.
Lipnitskaya was set in stone for 2014/15 - there was even a pre-season thread here named "Will Lipnitskaya win it all?".
Tuktamysheva was set in stone for 2015/16 - can't recall exact name, but there was a thread about Tuktamysheva vs Asada - whose 3A prevails? :)

russianfan

Match Penalty
Evgenia is set in stone if she is healthy. Even if her tech below what some of the younger girls do, her consistency and working ethics will keep her on top.
Alina... I think she is safe on top too. Looking at her recent pictures from shows, her body looks pretty mature (you cannot say she looks like a kid at this point), but still she manages to jump just fine (ifaik she performed her SP at shows, jumps and all). She also has a lot of room to improve in the artistry department, and a good TES safety cushion (if she has troubles with jumps, she can just more a few to first half, 2/3 jumps in first half will still allow you to be on top).
I would say those two are there already.

Sotskova. She seems to be still struggling with URs, and her skating is considered boring by many. Also, russian fed made it pretty clear this year that they do not want a team of 3 Eteri girls on major international events.
Konstantinova. Russian fed propped her this season like if she was Putin's secret love child. While she bombed all major international competitions, i think she will still be propped a lot in Russia (top finish at nationals, maybe a medal at Rostelecom).
Tsurskaya. Healthy Tsurskaya is by far stronger than Sotskova and Konstantinova. If she manages to improve her consistency a bit, and get a good FS (honestly, she can keep the SP for the third year, it is not like we have seen it everywhere), she has a chance to beat Sotskova and Konstantinova. On the other hand, I suspect that rusfed does not want 3 eteri girls at major comps, so that is against her.
No clue how the things will turn between those 3, really, we need to see how they will be doing next season.

Question marks, Anna P and Daria P. Not sure what is going on with Anna's back, and also her meltdowns are scary as hell, and can mess up a lot of her chances. Daria P was kinda eclipsed by other talented juniors, and not sure how she will be received as senior. I dont think judges will gift her lots of PCs, looking at her junior scores. But on the other hand, if she gets good programs...

Liza T and Lena Radionova are imho on a downward spiral over the last seasons. I suppose at this point they kinda moved on with their lives also, and don't think they are hungry enough to change that regression trend. Looking at their results last year, kinda looks like that.

i wouldnt say that Evgenia is set in stone until she will get back to training :biggrin:

moriel

Record Breaker
i wouldnt say that Evgenia is set in stone until she will get back to training :biggrin:

Based on the info we currently have, she is set in stone if healthy.
Unlike lipnitskaya, she is way past puberty. She has top notch work ethics, and quite likely is hungry for some medals. So health is only reason that would keep her from top.

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Based on the info we currently have, she is set in stone if healthy.
Unlike lipnitskaya, she is way past puberty. She has top notch work ethics, and quite likely is hungry for some medals. So health is only reason that would keep her from top.

even if she healthy....
it's going to be mentally hard to find motivation and desire to compete and train again.
She may think that she can't live without skating right now but sometimes it's really hard to start over and bring yourself in one piece.

And i think it's going to be mentally hard for Alina too.