2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 437 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

lavoix

Match Penalty
I was a tad shocked with Kihira's score at the Ondrej Nepela trophy. She's a serious threat to the Russians this season.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
I was a tad shocked with Kihira's score at the Ondrej Nepela trophy. She's a serious threat to the Russians this season.

Having 3A for both the SP and LP makes her a top contender by default (in fairness Mirai also has it, but the rest of her skating and jumps are not that great), the question is how consistent she will be.

She could have won everything in juniors but she didn't because there were always mistakes on each program.

TGee

Record Breaker
That's certainly one theory.

Another could be the pressure of their Olympic medals.

It's also very, very early in the season.

Med is adjusting to a new coach, and training methods.

Zag is still a teenager who might still be experiencing growth spurts. She might even face a loss of motivation at a later stage this season due to already winning the OGM.

A lot of this speculation is annoying and even disgusting, but your theory is far too simplistic. They are elite-level athletes anyway. Maybe they know about what's happening (and I know Med recently spoke about it), but mental strength is a part of literally every sport. I doubt they wouldn't have the psyche to simply roll their eyes and move on.
I'm still thinking about the FS portion of Russian Test Skates.

Whether it was 5000 or 1000 in the audience at MegaSport, it was a very public and stressful way to debut their programs for monitoring purposes.

Both Zhenya and Alina are perfectionists. This has have been very difficult as they were both not at the level of mastery of their programs that they would wish for.

I'm concerned that it may have undermined their confidence.

I understand why test skates has grown into a big event.

I'm wondering if their coaches should have them debut their programs at a domestic competition in the summer. It would give them a chance to try them out before a smaller audience.

I understand some of the Russian Ladies competed at a local competition in the summer.

Zhenya could go to one of the summer skate series in Ontario if they can't make it to Russia. They are a ISU designated invitationals.

Azikin

Medalist
Having 3A for both the SP and LP makes her a top contender by default (in fairness Mirai also has it, but the rest of her skating and jumps are not that great), the question is how consistent she will be.

She could have won everything in juniors but she didn't because there were always mistakes on each program.

You want to say that Rika could have won last Junior World Championship? :laugh:

dante

a dark lord
Final Flight
Country
Russia
People seem to have misconceptions about how Russia works. Russia is still the Soviet Union when it comes to education, military and sports. It's not quite correct to say that "Zagitova earns hundreds of thousands from Putin", but rather the Ministry of Sports uses every opportunity to support those who promote sports in Russia and Russia in the world. The only reason for it to be reluctant to let Zhenya go to Orser is that it means less job and payment for Russian coaches.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
A few Russian domestic competitions and notable entries:

September 22-23 Prizes of "figurist" or whatever:
Sports 1: Berestovskaya, Samodelkina

September 29 Sovetov Memorial or something:
KMC: Muravyova, Tarusina

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
A few Russian domestic competitions and notable entries:

September 22-23 Prizes of "figurist" or whatever:

September 29 Sovetov Memorial or something:
KMC: Muravyova, Tarusina

Those are some odd names for competitions.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
People seem to have misconceptions about how Russia works. Russia is still the Soviet Union when it comes to education, military and sports. It's not quite correct to say that "Zagitova earns hundreds of thousands from Putin", but rather the Ministry of Sports uses every opportunity to support those who promote sports in Russia and Russia in the world. The only reason for it to be reluctant to let Zhenya go to Orser is that it means less job and payment for Russian coaches.
My point was that comparing flat rate system vs cut-on-victory system is very misleading if you pick an Olympic gold as the time to do it. Choose a season where the skaters win nothing and Eteri's infinitely cheaper.

Those are some odd names for competitions.
They usually are something like "an open competition for the city of y in the club of x for the prizes of this and this company of this sort called this", a total headache to figure out what you're supposed to call it in English.

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
They usually are something like "an open competition for the city of y in the club of x for the prizes of this and this company of this sort called this", a total headache to figure out what you're supposed to call it in English.

Thanks. :thumbsup:

andromache

Record Breaker
Even if Evgenia is not on the Worlds team in 2020, that doesn't preclude her from being on the Olympic team in 2022.

If she's in the Russian top 3 in any season, she will have her spot in that season. If she's out of the top 3 in 2020, she won't go to Worlds. But she can get back in the top 3 for 2022.

I'm not sure what y'all really want her to do - keep doing exactly what she's done over the past few years and constantly be dealing with injuries? Continue to struggle with her same jump technique even though it is no longer optimal for her grown-up body? Evgenia sure as heck won't be at any Worlds or Olympics if she's too injured to train and compete on a regular basis or if she's a 20 year old continuing to try and jump like she did when she was 15.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
So Evgenia the first Russian eve who moved abroad for whatever reason? Why are people freaking out so much?

She is still leading the SP. She improved somewhat in her skating skills and is working on her flutz. She has been battling injuries. It's first competition in long time.

Alina stayed with Eteri and in Russia... and still messed the test skate. So why blame the fact that Evgenia didn't win my insane margin on leaving Eteri? Plus... Braddie was real good yesterday, those who lead with big margin from the rest of the field.

macy

Record Breaker
She's been with Orser for two months. Chill.

I just can't understand why people seem to think her skating will be brand new after TWO MONTHS. i've said this multiple times in this forum, it could take a year, maybe even two, before the full result of the coaching change will show. and it's more than likely not going to be all gold medals all the way there.

cruzceleste

Record Breaker
I just can't understand why people seem to think her skating will be brand new after TWO MONTHS. i've said this multiple times in this forum, it could take a year, maybe even two, before the full result of the coaching change will show. and it's more than likely not going to be all gold medals all the way there.

Borser has say that it takes almost 2 years for a skater to show results.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
I think sometimes that some people here dream of Evgenia getting 10th place at ACI or worse to prove their point that Eteri was better than Orser is and leaving her means Evgenia is now good for nothing and should retire immediately, buy countryside house, move there with her mother, grandma and dog and finally apologise that she dared to skate and win some competitions.

I hear from Jr Worlds 2015 that it's Medvedeva's last season and somehow she still is here.

Tolstoj

Record Breaker
Zamboni time!

Does anyone know if Tarakanova will get a second JGP? She is still listed as a substitute though she outscored Tarusina in the rankings.

Not sure but most likely.

The whole second JGP still hurts cause my favourite Kanysheva doesn't have much chances to get the second spot because of that bronze. (even though she is better than Tarakanova and Vasiljeva imho)

Watch

Final Flight
The problem is not even money.
The problem is the RESULT (its absence in her case)
Evgenia could show the same result with coaching under Panova or even better result.
And while training in Russia she lives in her appartament without wasting money accomodation (which is not cheap) and pay taxes for Russia.
So NO training abroad is always more expensive that training at home

She has performed in one half of a single competition, in the beginning of the season, after a serious injury and with just two months of training with a new team. And she's currently leading. So I'm not sure where that fatalism comes from or what insane results you expected. And I'm still not sure why people think that RusFed pays for everything... it's highly unlikely they give her more than what she's due, the rest probably comes from sponsors and personal earnings.

How is discussion even still going? God, some people...