2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 443 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

ancientpeas

The Notorious SEW
Record Breaker
Let us not forget: June. She has been there since June (or was it even July). Before that she was on tour and before that she was injured. Can we give it some time before we decided that the sky has fallen and the end is nigh.

David Wilson is not my favourite choreographer. I feel he is a little old fashioned with the programs and his music choices. I wish they had sent her to Jeff Buttle or Lori. I think next year when they have more time with her in the spring (when new programs are normally put together) they might push themselves out of the box a bit. Maybe bring in some ice dancers or someone new and fresh like Misha Ge.

Evgenia had axel and lutz issues before. I doubt 3 months can fix if it can be fixed She will get the spins and she will bring up the intensity in her performances. A person does not root up their whole life, take the criticism she has and be willing to seen as a pariah because they don't care about what they are doing. She obviously cares, she is obviously a hard worker and I believe in her.

Also Zhenya must be so happy and relieved to finally be skating with people her own age and older. She's always had to be the role model, the example, the inspiration, the one to beat for all those little girls day in and day out. Finally she can just skate for herself and not have to worry so much about who is watching and looking up to her and coming for her spot. It must be a huge weight off her shoulders.

I sincerely hope she spends some of her time in Toronto just really discovering and growing herself as a person outside of the rink, away from all that pressure and politics and fame that she has back home. That's equally as important and something she has always seemed to lack. Her entire life is skating. She's not like Kostornaia who has a very open and solid goal for her life once her skating career is over that she is actively working towards and I don't want her to just become another bitter commentating has-been. I want her to go out and meet new people and try new things and just have loads of fun to find where she fits in the world outside of the rink. Because there is life after skating and so many skaters unfortunately never truly find it. She will never get this opportunity again and she will never be 18/19 years old again. So forget about medals, forget about titles, forget about Orser, forget about Eteri. That's what I hope she gets from Toronto first and foremost.

esteticlove

Final Flight
One thing I don't understand is how people who like Tuktamisheva's programs don't like Medvedeva's. I mean, Liza is great technically but she doesn't do much transitions neither. Haven't seen anyone complaining about her...and her performance is limited to clapping with hands and shoulder shivering..

atsumiri

Record Breaker
One thing I don't understand is how people who like Tuktamisheva's programs don't like Medvedeva's. I mean, Liza is great technically but she doesn't do much transitions neither. Haven't seen anyone complaining about her...and her performance is limited to clapping with hands and shoulder shivering..

I hate Liza's programs. can't stand all of them at all.

Let us not forget: June. She has been there since June (or was it even July). Before that she was on tour and before that she was injured. Can we give it some time before we decided that the sky has fallen and the end is nigh.

David Wilson is not my favourite choreographer. I feel he is a little old fashioned with the programs and his music choices. I wish they had sent her to Jeff Buttle or Lori. I think next year when they have more time with her in the spring (when new programs are normally put together) they might push themselves out of the box a bit. Maybe bring in some ice dancers or someone new and fresh like Misha Ge.

Evgenia had axel and lutz issues before. I doubt 3 months can fix if it can be fixed She will get the spins and she will bring up the intensity in her performances. A person does not root up their whole life, take the criticism she has and be willing to seen as a pariah because they don't care about what they are doing. She obviously cares, she is obviously a hard worker and I believe in her.

To be fair to her, currently I think Wilson should've worked harder.

silverfoxes

Record Breaker
If Alina has a rough season with those terrible programs of hers, I can't wait to see how some of the same people here react that are trashing Evgenia now.

If Alina has a rough season with those terrible programs of hers, I can't wait to see how some of the same people here react that are trashing Evgenia now.

It's expected from Alina. She always has a bad time with new programs. I would be more shocked if she skated clean first time out than if she fell on every jump.

To be fair, I expected it from Zhenya this season as well. Those who didn't were not being very realistic.

Eh, logical consistency will be present. Or maybe it won't. To me it won't change that the programs from both of them are bad. Well, Zag's are far worse.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker

It's all relative. I measure Zhenya not against Liza but against herself. She was a superstar - one and only. So far she is a shade of her former self. Once again, let's hope that she will make it up. Hope dies last.

Why I bother to write all this? Maybe because I used to be "Medvedeva's uber", because I enjoyed her skating, I wanted her to win OGM and I feel for her. May be because for me it's the embodiment of hypocrisy to speak now about improvements in her skating. Some people and not only fans already boasted those. Improvements? Give me a break. Her pcs show what judges think about improvements in her skating - downfall in all categories, all of them. Let's not pretend that something is there when it's not.

[email protected]

Medalist
Record Breaker
Eh, logical consistency will be present. Or maybe it won't. To me it won't change that the programs from both of them are bad. Well, Zag's are far worse.

I would not judge Alina's programs before seeing them in the competition. At the same time, I liked a lot her swan and I think that DQ was a true masterpiece. And some people were never tired to trash them.

At this point, I just don't believe that Alina's programs are worse than Zhenya's because Zhenya's are plain terrible. But I will keep my final opinion with me until after Nebelhorn

I would not judge Alina's programs before seeing them in the competition. At the same time, I liked a lot her swan and I think that DQ was a true masterpiece. And some people were never tired to trash them.

At this point, I just don't believe that Alina's programs are worse than Zhenya's because Zhenya's are plain terrible. But I will keep my final opinion with me until after Nebelhorn

DQ did not start out as a masterpiece. The opposite in fact. It was impressive because of the back loading and stamina required and that got her the gold because, again, competition that year wasn't huge but boy was it a mess of a program and performance at first. Nobody would have believed you had you told them it was going to win the OGM. Sometimes it takes time to get a program to that level. We don't know where Zhenya (or Alina) will be with their programs by the end of the season. But they will be better than they are now unquestionably.

Katie0906

On the Ice
Eteri's poker face at the test skate will make you wonder what she thingking,she will surely move heaven and earth just to make Alina stay on top,lets see how Alina's pcs will go despite fall or step out(hope not).

Tolstoj

Record Breaker

I'm worried there is not enough time to fix everything at the pace Brian/Tracy have: while is good they're working on the little things, at this point you need to build the stamina and practice more the programs (especially the free) or you're not going to build that consistency, and i'd argue they are already late for that. They have only 30 days until Skate Canada.

Eteri's poker face at the test skate will make you wonder what she thingking,she will surely move heaven and earth just to make Alina stay on top,lets see how Alina's pcs will go despite fall or step out(hope not).

There was a recent interview about Trusova i posted few pages back where they say Alina is facing issues since the Olympics, we'll see at Nebelhorn what's her current shape.

Spinning

On the Ice
Her pcs show what judges think about improvements in her skating - downfall in all categories, all of them. Let's not pretend that something is there when it's not.

More like they judged her from what she did delivery at the given time. Zhenya never has a good skating skills or technical strong. Her exceptional skills are her abilities to be super consistency skater, her determination, working hard, her backloading, and her tanos. Big parts of her being on top of the piles has been Eteri's doing. Their team are the real genious with checking the boxes, jam- packing programmes to the maximum possibilities and hiding the skaters' weaknesses. No one can do it better.

Zagitova on the other hand is far more stronger technical but not much more in skating skills department. Her consistency has always been her archenemy. But one thing I notice during her Japan summer shows and during her test skates, she evolves as a performer and her skating skills shift to the higher level. I curious to see how far she could go with her new arsenals. Good or bad programs don't matter as long as she stop fallings.

Big question is how much time do they have to get back on top realistically, really?????

crazydreamer

On the Ice
I hope she doesn't give up and go back to Russia, as some people are suggesting. That would be highly defeatist, especially so soon. I understand it's hard to leave everyone and your culture and what not, but I think she's more than capable of making the transition and growing from it. Plus, same old same old is not going to get her back on top.

esteticlove

Final Flight
It's all relative. I measure Zhenya not against Liza but against herself. She was a superstar - one and only. So far she is a shade of her former self. Once again, let's hope that she will make it up. Hope dies last.

Why I bother to write all this? Maybe because I used to be "Medvedeva's uber", because I enjoyed her skating, I wanted her to win OGM and I feel for her. May be because for me it's the embodiment of hypocrisy to speak now about improvements in her skating. Some people and not only fans already boasted those. Improvements? Give me a break. Her pcs show what judges think about improvements in her skating - downfall in all categories, all of them. Let's not pretend that something is there when it's not.

Samkrut, I absolutely respect your opinion and I hope you don't feel offended from my words because this wasn't my intention. I just wanted to make a general Tukt vs Medvedeva comparison, since a lot of people here liked Liza's programs from test skates and at the same time complained that Evgenia's lacked transitions, which is rather bizarre because both girls are currently telegraphing a lot. Unless those opinions are really based only on one's personal liking of the skater himself.

I agree with you that Evgenia's current programs are some kind of a..downfall for her when we compare them to her previous years. But I think it was very obvious that this will happen. Eteri's team is the only one who packages their programs with a lot of TR in order to secure those high scores. We don't know yet how the work between Orser and Medvedeva will develop, maybe they'll start with the packaging later. Who knows.

However, generally I don't think she could have been better if she had stayed. Yes, programs and transitions would've been there. But the flutz and the laboured jumps off axis would have stayed too. And with the new scoring system those flaws are a big deal. Don't understand me wrong, I don't think Orser will do some magic and fix all those things and I am not stating that he's better than team Tutberidze. But I think that for those 2 months he has done also some good, apart from the bad programs and lack of transitions.

In terms of presentation - I always loved Evgenia's programs from Daniil and Averbukh, I never had problem with mimiking and so on. I also never understood how people find her juniorish - but only at the test skates this year, when I saw her performing something totally different and also being so happy, I felt for the first time ever such a joy while she was skating.. and she was looking really mature. I could barely recognise her.

ejnsofi

Final Flight
Is it me or Lilbet has a better tango than Zhenya?

Medvedeva's FS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH76DHUq80k

Tursynbaeva's FS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5xYNtwep44

For me both are pretty underwhelming. Zhenya's is empty while Elizabet's is busier but many moves have nothing to do with a music and were just included for the sake of transition (like 0.5 second long something which looks like Charlotte spiral before one of the jumps).

Want a good tango? Wait for Miyahara's performance

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Russian ladies better step it up this season so that the 3A can all go to worlds next season :sad4: