2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 45 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

russianfan

Match Penalty
Isn’t it too early to predict anything? I’d wait till test skates at least.

It is. That's why there is "would". I'm not even going to try to predict anything for the next season, i know only one thing for sure - IT'S GONNA BE EPIC, so epic that previous JGP will fade away in comparison with the upcoming one :biggrin:

moriel

Record Breaker
And we saw at Worlds that the judges are not willing to give her high PCS for nothing, even if she's the OGM. She will have to work really hard for very high PCS.
I guess her team really packed her well this season, with the tutu costumes she stood out in the crowd. I wonder what programs they will give to her for next season:confused:

Well, pretty sure something good will be figured out.
She she is fine without tutu costumes too, like that dress from the bank commercial, she looked great in it.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
It is. That's why there is "would". I'm not even going to try to predict anything for the next season, i know only one thing for sure - IT'S GONNA BE EPIC, so epic that previous JGP will fade away in comparison with the upcoming one :biggrin:

I knowwww...
Shcherbakova hopefully with quad combo and quad
Trusova hopefully with quad and quad, maybe combo on one
Kostornaya hopefully with 3A (maybe quad? :biggrin:)

colormyworld240

Medalist
And we saw at Worlds that the judges are not willing to give her high PCS for nothing, even if she's the OGM. She will have to work really hard for very high PCS.
I guess her team really packed her well this season, with the tutu costumes she stood out in the crowd. I wonder what programs they will give to her for next season:confused:

I'm pretty sure she didn't get the OGM by wearing tutus. Her advantage was that combo that set her apart, having different lutz and flip edges compared to other top skaters, and of course the overall tech and being good at both jumps and spins. She will however lose that advantage not this year but the next, when the juniors come and a 3Lz-3Lo is the least impressive thing in their program because they're jumping quads/ 3As.

colormyworld240

Medalist
Hm, I was too hasty with my predictions :scratch2: :laugh:
My new future RusNat top5:

1.Trusova
2.Scherbakova
3.Medvedeva
4.Kostornaia
5.Zagitova

:biggrin:

Why I place Zagitova this low? Well, maybe it's not popular opinion - but I think this season's success was mostly due to her insanely difficult, brilliant and trained in 2 years to automatism FP. With more standart FP she wouldn't be noticed at all most likely - and considering that in new season she will have new FP and the fact that she somewhat lost her consistency and jumping abilities due to growth/puberty (judging by worlds and recent shows performances) it's a big question mark whether she will be able to repeat her success. In other words she was somewhat overrated this season - especially in PCS department. Her most valuable merit - for which she gained so strong boost in reputation/scores - is her very good physical/technical abilities - and she is losing it already comparing to juniors.

This is highly unlikely. We have to remember this is Russian Nationals, where it doesn't matter how well you skate, the top seniors will likely place above juniors. They would never give the top 2 placements to those who are not senior eligible. Barring total disaster, it''ll be Alina and Zhenya top 2, with the third a junior, or a Buyanova girl if they're cleanish. The fed will always push for those tho can win medals at worlds/ euros. Kostornaia had 2 clean skates and neither Alina not Masha did this year, but was third. And also Konstantinova. Unfortunately, the juniors will have to wait another year before any of them at be national champion, regardless of whether they deserve it or not.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
This is highly unlikely. We have to remember this is Russian Nationals, where it doesn't matter how well you skate, the top seniors will likely place above juniors. They would never give the top 2 placements to those who are not senior eligible. Barring total disaster, it''ll be Alina and Zhenya top 2, with the third a junior, or a Buyanova girl if they're cleanish. The fed will always push for those tho can win medals at worlds/ euros. Kostornaia had 2 clean skates and neither Alina not Masha did this year, but was third. And also Konstantinova. Unfortunately, the juniors will have to wait another year before any of them at be national champion, regardless of whether they deserve it or not.

Judging by your logic it was impossible to win nationals for Sotnikova in 2008/2009 or to get 2nd place for Radionova in 2012/2013. Which wasn't the case :rolleye: I agree that russian judges are very reputation-dependant and you definitely have a point - but do not forget that Eteri's juniors will have quite strong reputation at that time too - even if they got it only by junior-level events. Trusova is world-famous already for her hystorical achievements, Kostornaia got 3rd place last year.. they just can't give them PCS lower than they getting regularly at least - and TES - it's hard to oppose quads anyway ) All is possible of course but what I mean - situation will be different already in next season. Russia wouldn't get anything from downplaying her own genius quadjumpers achievements while it can gain much fame when advertising them to the world.

P.S.: someone MUST make video preview for RusNat 2019 (as it was done for 2017 one)! With QUADS! :yahoo: Just imagining that preview giving me goosebumps - what EPIC it would be! :hpull: I can't wait already! :hap93:

Scott512

Record Breaker
I don't think Alina will lose her skills. If she goes from 5'1" tall and 94 pounds to 5'3" and 100 pounds she will be fine. Only time will tell.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
I can't help but find some of the statements that were made by Daniil amusing in the light of this clean 4Lutz. Earlier in the season, in Daniil's interview they said that they were going to have Anna try and practice the 4T very carefully and in slow steps.

Anna's season ended on April 19. And on April 26 there's a video of a clean quad Lutz by her.

I guess Daniil didn't say anything about being slow and careful with the quad Lutz but...

Elucidus

Match Penalty
I guess Daniil didn't say anything about being slow and careful with the quad Lutz but...

I think he didn't expect it either :biggrin: Well, most likely this success is due to the fact that she did 4T earlier. Even with such long break it's easier to relearn jumping quads than to learn them from zero state. I mean there gotta be something that her body still remembers about quads. It's just my speculation ofcourse, but it's not that we had much experience with junior girls jumping quads and relearning them until recently after all - pretty much everything from now on will be first time ever occurrence :cool: In other words estimation of how fast a junior girl can learn a quad could be somewhat beside the mark until now.

moriel

Record Breaker
Good job, girl!
People are saying it’s prerotated, but I honestly can’t tell from this tiny video on my phone.And I guess it’s better to prerotate than to underrotate because then the judges won’t take points off.

honestly, its more rotated than some 4Lz that were ratified for men.
And better quality and more rotated than some 3Lz we see the top ladies doing

moriel

Record Breaker
Judging by your logic it was impossible to win nationals for Sotnikova in 2008/2009 or to get 2nd place for Radionova in 2012/2013. Which wasn't the case :rolleye: I agree that russian judges are very reputation-dependant and you definitely have a point - but do not forget that Eteri's juniors will have quite strong reputation at that time too - even if they got it only by junior-level events. Trusova is world-famous already for her hystorical achievements, Kostornaia got 3rd place last year.. they just can't give them PCS lower than they getting regularly at least - and TES - it's hard to oppose quads anyway ) All is possible of course but what I mean - situation will be different already in next season. Russia wouldn't get anything from downplaying her own genius quadjumpers achievements while it can gain much fame when advertising them to the world.

P.S.: someone MUST make video preview for RusNat 2019 (as it was done for 2017 one)! With QUADS! :yahoo: Just imagining that preview giving me goosebumps - what EPIC it would be! :hpull: I can't wait already! :hap93:

And honestly... Trusova got 92.35 TES for her FS at junior worlds, while Alina got "only" 81.62 at Olympics. That gotta be some massive PCs gap.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
honestly, its more rotated than some 4Lz that were ratified for men.
And better quality and more rotated than some 3Lz we see the top ladies doing
Actually, even if this was a triple it would be better than any Lutz any of the Olympic podium skaters were performing. Better edge, better rotated, by far the prettiest take off and aerial rotation.

And honestly... Trusova got 92.35 TES for her FS at junior worlds, while Alina got "only" 81.62 at Olympics. That gotta be some massive PCs gap.
Trusova and Zagitova having a massive PCS gap is one thing. But Anna Shcherbakova has far, far, far greater PCS potential than Trusova.

Elucidus

Match Penalty
I can't help but find some of the statements that were made by Daniil amusing in the light of this clean 4Lutz. Earlier in the season, in Daniil's interview they said that they were going to have Anna try and practice the 4T very carefully and in slow steps.

It's indeed interesting question - why 4Lz before 4T? 0_0 I can think only about two possible reasons:
1) she already did 4T but Daniil just didn't record it
2) she has some problems with it and they decided to try another jump with unexpected success. And Lutz most likely because Sasha already did it and inspired her to be maximally competitive :)

Actually, even if this was a triple it would be better than any Lutz any of the Olympic podium skaters were performing. Better edge, better rotated, by far the prettiest take off and aerial rotation.

Btw, remind me what was her best triple until now? 3Lz?