2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 49 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Miller

Final Flight
So the issue is, Gubanova will definitely get JGP spots. Will Tarusina? She might, of course. If she gets two spots, she likely should stay in juniors. But the competition will be rough considering that there will only be just about one single spot available after all the obvious ones get their.

As for seniors? After Medvedeva and Zagitova, it's far weaker and it'll be much easier for a skater to make an impact. All the others are inconsistent or falling out of favor. There's plenty of room to make an impact. If Tarusina has a couple of clean competitions with smooth landings, her PCS should be fine. Consistency tends to be rewarded quite handsomely. And I assume that CSKA will be eager to push someone from their school who isn't an UR machine like Sotskova. It could be Gubanova, it could be Tarusina. I'd be fine with both. But I wish Tarusina more success because of what happened to her.

I think what will happen is that Gubanova and Tarusina will both be given an initial JGP spot. If they then go on to get a 2nd one they'll almost certainly reach the final, and get 3 chances at getting all important seasons bests bearing in mind the following season.

If not they'll switch to late season Challengers, and get the chance to get Seasons Bests that way - bit like Stanislava and Alisa this last season.

The exception is if Anna P doesn't skate this season. In that case I would expect Anastasiia to get the Host Pick at Rostelecom. Who might get the 18th spot (assuming that Russia gets that many) on Senior GPs would remain to be seen though. Anastasiia's SB is very low, but is still good enough to qualify. However there are very many other good candidates - Sofia Samodurova for example, but unfortunately Anna T couldn't qualify, she has no international Seasons Best, but could perhaps still qualify for the Host Pick if they thought she was the one (I'm sure enough rules could be waived). However realistically I'd expect her to go the JGP route, but the momentum is definitely with her, she was great at Nationals for example.

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Ah, by the way. Tarusina has no SB at all? Hm, I guess that's true, huh. Even though at Ice Star 2017 Challenger series event she won the junior category and even outscored the senior winner, Elizabet Tursynbaeva. It's weird how that's not counted. Not that it'd still be in top 25 or anything but... You'd imagine that'd be worth something. Getting SB really is rough for skaters who aren't senior eligible yet, isn't it? I hope they look into that.

hanca

Record Breaker
Ah, by the way. Tarusina has no SB at all? Hm, I guess that's true, huh. Even though at Ice Star 2017 Challenger series event she won the junior category and even outscored the senior winner, Elizabet Tursynbaeva. It's weird how that's not counted. Not that it'd still be in top 25 or anything but... You'd imagine that'd be worth something. Getting SB really is rough for skaters who aren't senior eligible yet, isn't it? I hope they look into that.
The trouble is, no one from the junior ladies will know whether they will get JGP spots, and if they do, whether one or two.

There is a very high probability that Trusova, Scherbakova and Kostornaya will get their 2 spots, and Tarakanova also has a good chance to get at least one, so that leaves only spots for three or four ladies (if two each) or up to seven ladies if one each. Tarusina was last year very close to having one spot and yet she didn’t eventually get it. I don’t think that the coming season will be any different- she will be very close but may again stay without. On the other hand, her chances of getting senior GP event are practicaly zero, unless she will get the home spot and I think the federation may have a few others who they will consider for that spot. So the best way for Tarusina would be to prepare both junior and senior programs, do three senior B competitions to get some ranking points, and see if the federation sends her to junior GP or senior home GP. If she is ready to do both, hopefully one of those will happen. Like the Australian pair- wanted to do senior events, didn’t get GP, so went to do JGP but competed also senior competitions.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I don't see why Gubanova should stay as a junior either. If she wants any chance of international assignments at the end of the season (Euros, worlds, WTT) she'll have the best luck for that if she goes senior because is she likely to get a JWC assignment? Probably not, not with Trusova, Kostornaya, Tarakanova, Shcherbakova, etc. coming through. Of course anything can happen, but it's unlikely. Plus even though she's unlikely to get a GP (besides maybe the host spot) she's even more unlikely to get a JGP (in my opinion). They're going to give spots to Trusova (2018 JWC champion and 2017 JGP Final champion), Kostornaya (medalist at JWC and JGPF), Tarakanova (JGPF medalist) Shcherbakova (defeated Trusova and has a quad -- perfect timing to release that video, by the way), Tarusina (2018 Elder Age champion), Sinitsyna (medalist at important National events), and Kanysheva (also medaled at important National events). Gubanova didn't medal at any nationals this season and didn't go to JWC (whether she should've or not is a different story)

I also think that Panenkova should move up because really, she'll have a greater chance of doing well in seniors and is guaranteed GP spots, which might not happen next year depending on how stingy the JGP judges are with the scores. JGP Baltic Cup was an exception this year among the stages, and that's very helpful for her. Plus, she's an Eteri girl and was only inconsistent when a) injured b) kept on getting different senior layouts. If they stick with one layout for her, she can definitely do well. And if the judges are indeed rewarding big jumps, she's right in line to do well.

And if Konstantinova doesn't move up, I will be so, so, SO upset. If she can't succeed in the seniors, she can't succeed in juniors either, and after seeing her keeping bombing at important events, I am done with her getting spots for things she hasn't earned.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Stasya and Daria surely move up, Daria have stated in interview that she will move up iirc. Also no way Stasya didnt move up when she's GUARANTEED a GP next season. It will be such a waste and stupid tactic if she choose to do JGP instead of GP

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Did Anna Tarusina have back problems last season? I noticed she wasn’t doing the typical layback into beilmann that the Russian skaters are known for.

tars

Record Breaker
When you read doubts about Tarusina's int'l spot for 2018/19 season, you know it's time for new Russian ladies power ranking (collective Sr+Jr).
Worlds failure, quads, "Lednikoviy Period", shows in Asia, coaches changes, interviews... - people got confused, we need some memory refreshment! :roll9:

Samkrut for the rescue? Anybody? :)

Tyranid

Final Flight
When you read doubts about Tarusina's int'l spot for 2018/19 season, you know it's time for new Russian ladies power ranking (collective Sr+Jr).
Worlds failure, quads, "Lednikoviy Period", shows in Asia, coaches changes, interviews... - people got confused, we need some memory refreshment! :roll9:

Samkrut for the rescue? Anybody? :)

1. Elena Radionova :love:
2. Khatun Tuktamysheva :bow:
3. Pogo :agree:
4. doesn't matter
5. doesn't matter
6. doesn't matter
7. doesn't matter
8. doesn't matter
9. doesn't matter
10. doesn't matter

:laugh::laugh::laugh:.

Seriously, the power rank in FS is trivial. Especially during the OFF SEASON. The ice is too slippery.

madison

Record Breaker
Yes, i hope someone translate it, what i could understand at the end is the question:
What means figure skating for you?
Zhenya: Life!
Eteri: Life!

Wow.... so strong... it's all or nothing... I feel sorry for them, in a way :(.
I also hope someone will translate it... Daniil has nice voice:love:

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Here's my power ranking:

Seniors:
Zagitova
Medvedeva
Panenkova
NEW: Tarusina* (CSKA bonus, good jumps, consistency)
NEW: Sotskova (CSKA bonus)
Tsurskaya (inconsistent)
Gubanova*
Samodurova*
Radionova
Tuktamysheva
Sakhanovich
Gulyakova*
Istomina
Konstantinova
Yakovleva
Leonova
* = if they move up
(I think Panenkova confirmed going to seniors?)

Juniors:
Trusova
Kostornaya
Shcherbakova
Tarakanova
Tarusina*
Sinitsyna
Kanysheva
Kostyuk
Vasilieva
Nugumanova*
Tsibinova
Safonova
Fedichkina*
Moroz
Pavlova
Cherpakova
* = if not going to seniors

Novices:
Akatieva
Berestovskaya
Samodelkina
Valieva
Usacheva
Kromykh

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Maybe I’m being silly, but I hope Anna Tarusina goes senior. Those juniors she’ll be competing against.....😱😱😱RUUUUUN AWAY!!!!!!

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Yup. Sotskova URs and Dasha doesn't :)
And while I love her, her programs don't suit her at all and she has to rely on CSKA bonus... although maybe I should move her up just BECAUSE she's CSKA...

moriel

Record Breaker
On turning senior, I would say this is a good season to turn senior, because right now we have Medvedeva and Zagitova, and third spot up for grabs.
But then soon the next batch of juniors will be turning senior and its better to build some senior rep and pcs before that happens.