2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 50 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

tars

Record Breaker
Maybe I’m being silly, but I hope Anna Tarusina goes senior. Those juniors she’ll be competing against.....😱😱😱RUUUUUN AWAY!!!!!!
Agreed that seniors would be easier for her, but Tarusina was sick good in the end of the season, so I think she'd stand a chance at least for JGPF.
She was very strong and very underscored since Nats and got Elder Junior Nats title against all top names, beside Trusova and Kostornaia.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Thanks, quite reasonable to me. :thumbsup:
Where would you place Tarusina, if she went senior next season? :think:

Yay I'm glad you like it! It's harder than it seems :laugh:
I put Tarusina in but she's around the same level as Tsurskaya for me and higher than Sotskova due to her consistency and no URs

tars

Record Breaker
Yay I'm glad you like it! It's harder than it seems :laugh:
I put Tarusina in but she's around the same level as Tsurskaya for me and higher than Sotskova due to her consistency and no URs
Agreed, it looks blasphemous, but I can't see how late season Sotskova is better than late season Tarusina, apart from int'l experience and reputation. :shrug:

Shayuki

Record Breaker
Agreed that seniors would be easier for her, but Tarusina was sick good in the end of the season, so I think she'd stand a chance at least for JGPF.
She was very strong and very underscored since Nats and got Elder Junior Nats title against all top names, beside Trusova and Kostornaia.
Anna Tarusina also had only clean skates last season... Was she the only skater to accomplish this?

Really, Sotskova should be nowhere near the top when it comes to power rankings. Very forgettable performer, URs approximately 10 jumps per competition and cannot even stay up on her feet.

Miller

Final Flight
I don't see why Gubanova should stay as a junior either. If she wants any chance of international assignments at the end of the season (Euros, worlds, WTT) she'll have the best luck for that if she goes senior because is she likely to get a JWC assignment? Probably not, not with Trusova, Kostornaya, Tarakanova, Shcherbakova, etc. coming through. Of course anything can happen, but it's unlikely. Plus even though she's unlikely to get a GP (besides maybe the host spot) she's even more unlikely to get a JGP (in my opinion). They're going to give spots to Trusova (2018 JWC champion and 2017 JGP Final champion), Kostornaya (medalist at JWC and JGPF), Tarakanova (JGPF medalist) Shcherbakova (defeated Trusova and has a quad -- perfect timing to release that video, by the way), Tarusina (2018 Elder Age champion), Sinitsyna (medalist at important National events), and Kanysheva (also medaled at important National events). Gubanova didn't medal at any nationals this season and didn't go to JWC (whether she should've or not is a different story)

The question re Gubanova is probably whether it will be more high profile to her to reach the JGPF or be on Challenger Series events - if she gets the Host Pick at Rostelecom it's a no brainer. However one big problem this coming season will be the number of Challenger spots available.

There's effectively 24 spots at stake due to Russians not skating the 2 North American events, but with all the potential seniors and the Senior GP Ladies wanting warm up events these spots could be precious as well e.g. there's probably not enough to go around with 15 between about 10 candidates - Leonova, Sakhanovich, Fedichkina, Mikhailova, plus all the potential 1st year seniors. Hence there may just be the practical issue of how they fit them all in. Also what might be better in terms of getting that 3rd spot at Euros etc. It probably doesn't matter a lot, but I would have thought JGPF spot/maybe medal would be a bit higher profile than Challenger events.

Also there's the issue of qualifying for Russian Nationals. If you're only on Challengers you'll also need to do Russian Cup events, whereas if you reach the JGPF you're already in. Hence I would have thought the coaching teams of the likes of Anastasiia and Anna T would be pushing for them to be on JGPs in priority to CS events. Also I would have thought Anastasiia's 6th place in Senior Nationals and 4th place in Juniors, with domestic scores of 205/206 would count for a bit more than the achievements of some of the more junior skaters, even if they do have medals. YMMV.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Well, Gubanova might not make the JGP this year if she makes even 1 mistake per program (inconsistency has been an issue at times) and then that'll be even worse than doing only the CS

CS spots could go to:
Tarusina
Mikhailova
Sakhanovich
Fedichkina
Samodurova
Istomina
Gulyakova
Leonova

and possibly Gubanova I suppose...

tars

Record Breaker
Well, Gubanova might not make the JGP this year if she makes even 1 mistake per program (inconsistency has been an issue at times) and then that'll be even worse than doing only the CS

CS spots could go to:
Tarusina
Mikhailova
Sakhanovich
Fedichkina
Samodurova
Istomina
Gulyakova
Leonova

Come on, have you seen Fedichkina lately? 150 points per tourney...
Mikhailova and Sakhanovich had couple of shiny moments in GP and then went down the slope, the latter even took a break from skating lately. Leonova - does she intend to continue? Gulyakova - remarkably worsened last season.

You shouldn't put these names above Gubanova, who was not that dreadful last season: won two CS and was second in RCF.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker
Ah no, you misunderstand me :) I meant possibly Gubanova in "if she decides to do such events" rather than GP / JGP

But yeah, Fedichkina is really going down...

Tyranid

Final Flight

CS spots could go to:
Tarusina
Mikhailova
Sakhanovich
Fedichkina
Samodurova
Istomina
Gulyakova
Leonova

Btw, B-tourneys are a MUST for Radionova to get ranking pts. because she will be 25th(!!!) in ISU rankings after they remove 15-16 season. She'll be below people like Loena Hendricks. She might not even be in the 2'nd group at the GPs.

This will be a test for her and Buyanova. If Buyanova doesn't send her to CS, that will be a complete coaching failure.

http://www.isuresults.com/ws/ws/wsladies.htm
Do note that only Radionova and Ashley Wagner are the only top skaters who don't do CS regularly.

TripleAxelQueens3

sasha trusova is superior
Final Flight
I read somewhere that Masha’s tried a quad salchow
And isn’t Zhenya trying a quad lutz?

Personally I think Zhenya might be done for after next season

Caustica

Final Flight
I read somewhere that Masha’s tried a quad salchow
And isn’t Zhenya trying a quad lutz?

Personally I think Zhenya might be done for after next season

In what universe is Zhenya trying a quad lutz?! If she does any quad I think it may be the quad sal. But I haven't heard of her training quads seriously, in any case. She still has to recover from injury.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Here's my power ranking.....

How sure is it that Shcherbakova will be given a spot on the JGP? She bombed both nationals hard. She did beat Trusova locally this season and she is showing strong quads in practice. Is what she is capable of special enough for them to prioritize her over others when she was unable to show it when it counted the most?

I know you and some others are huge Shcherbakova fans. I love Anna too. But I am hoping for an unbiased answer because I genuinely want to know how much of a chance she actually has.

moriel

Record Breaker
How sure is it that Shcherbakova will be given a spot on the JGP? She bombed both nationals hard. She did beat Trusova locally this season and she is showing strong quads in practice. Is what she is capable of special enough for them to prioritize her over others when she was unable to show it when it counted the most?

I know you and some others are huge Shcherbakova fans. I love Anna too. But I am hoping for an unbiased answer because I genuinely want to know how much of a chance she actually has.

Pretty sure rusfed will do same as they did last year: give every girl a spot, and then only give a second one for the girls who have solid gpf chances.

Spirals for Miles

Record Breaker

Well I’m not as biased as some but not perfect BUT I think she has a good chance since they’ll want to give spots to people with quads. That’s why the video is so important

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada

CS spots could go to:
Tarusina
Mikhailova
Sakhanovich
Fedichkina
Samodurova
Istomina
Gulyakova
Leonova

Whether Gubanova is doing GP or JGP, she'll likely do CS too. Most of the GP skaters do one CS event at least, and several do two or even three. Plus last season Konstantinova and Fedichkina did both JGP and CS. Maybe if she makes the JGPF she won't, but even then if she could do one it would help with SB and WS.

*~RussianBleux~*

Medalist
Pretty sure rusfed will do same as they did last year: give every girl a spot, and then only give a second one for the girls who have solid gpf chances.

Last year was my first time watching the JGP. I realized that they have to be very strategic in how they assign spots to get as many girls to the JGPF as possible. So they will want at least 6 to have two spots, and there will be two spots left. I wonder who they'll assign first and who they will put against who. It will be interesting to see what happens this year, which I believe will be even more competitive than last. :eeking: