2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating | Page 52 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Russian Ladies' figure skating

Why can't POTO die? It's an awful music piece, and no one should be subjected to it.

And how is a 16 year old even supposed to interpret that nonsense? Is FS so tied up into warhorses that they've completely shed all pretext of artistic integrity and development?

rikaquegira

On the Ice
Sorry, but that was too funny! [emoji23]

Being serious now, I think it’s not that bad. I think her choreographer whose name I can’t write correctly but I’ll call him “Danny” because why not? Very friendly! So, Danny really seems to think outside the box from time to time. I think it will be POTO but with a twist of originality to it. I can respect warhorses if they don’t feel like warhorses.
It’s like V/M’s Moulin Rouge, had that theme been used countless times in FS?? Absolutely. Has anyone skated that theme like VM did? Absolutely not. They made it fresh.
Same thing can happen with Alina’s POTO. Maybe I’m expecting too much greatness from Danny and Alina, but I’ll wait and see what they can produce.

I, for one, like the music from Phantom of the Opera. It is good music to accompany skating. There is a reason why warhorses are warhorses -- they are good skating music. They entertain audiences.They win medals. I think so. :yes:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Does anyone how Elena R, Liza T, Anna P and Alena L are doing? I know they are long in the tooth by Russian standards and well Leonova actually would be six feet under but I still hope to see them do well. Elena and Anna deserve world titles. The right time and Radinova would have the world title but it is all about timing. It is exciting in Russia - I don't think we should jump the gun about Trusova she has another year before she is senior and the puberty monster has not hit. Those Quads can go away faster than doughnuts before police officers.

I, for one, like the music from Phantom of the Opera. It is good music to accompany skating. There is a reason why warhorses are warhorses -- they are good skating music. They entertain audiences.They win medals. I think so. :yes:

This is precisely my problem with warhorses, though. They are selected based on their popularity, when really they should be selected based on what stage of development a skater is at as an artist. Does Zagitova have the maturity to interpret this music? Her programs this past season didn't make me think so. Her trying to be Kitri was kind of appropriate, but she failed to deliver the drama in her Black Swan.

Maybe she will surprise us. But this just seems like taking a warhorse for the sake of taking a warhorse. IMO, she should be made to develop the dramatic side first, by maybe doing something else that challenges her but is still closer to her range. Lyrics are allowed, why not try something more modern and lyrical? But maybe this will let her do that. :shrug:

atsumiri

Record Breaker
Why do you believe we have to wait to watch the program before we can judge the choice of music?

because you don't even know the name of the song they're going to use. :sarcasm:
there are at least 25 songs from The Phantom of the Opera that they can use.

Ded Moroz

LADIES QUAD CLUB
On the Ice
Country
United-Nations
because you don't even know the name of the song they're going to use. :sarcasm:
there are at least 25 songs from The Phantom of the Opera that they can use.

The question isn't about Phantom per se, it is a general one.

Why must we withhold judgement on any program's music* until we watch that program?

*The amount of songs is irrelevant, one might like all of them, or like none of them.

charlotte14

Medalist
Why can't POTO die? It's an awful music piece, and no one should be subjected to it.

And how is a 16 year old even supposed to interpret that nonsense? Is FS so tied up into warhorses that they've completely shed all pretext of artistic integrity and development?
I agree it is horrible music.