2018-2019 GP Assignments | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 GP Assignments

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Mm? Medvedeva to SC was the obvious choice, we called this a long time ago. It is the most logical choice with Medvedeva training in Canada and Osmond skipping GPs.
It's not an obvious choice at all, because there is no benefit to Canada for inviting her. They did anyway, but it's a decision made against the interests of their own skater, which we generally assume feds take into consideration.

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Do skaters have the option to decline an invite or do they just accept it?
Anybody who got an invitation put their name forward for it, so nobody would decline. Of course, they can decline to show up, but they can't do anything else in the period where the competition is running.

People do withdraw, but generally that's because of medical or other personal reasons.

sk8ath

On the Ice
Ladies

Japan:
Two GP Spots:
- Satoko Miyahara
- Kaori Sakamoto
- Yura Matsuda
- Mako Yamashita
- Mai Mihara
- Wakaba Higuchi

One GP Spot:
- Rika Hongo
- Yuna Shiraiwa
- Rika Kihara

Marin Honda got 2 spots as well

Danibellerika

Medalist
It's not an obvious choice at all, because there is no benefit to Canada for inviting her. They did anyway, but it's a decision made against the interests of their own skater, which we generally assume feds take into consideration.

Yeah, Boyang and Yuzu train in Canada too and we see they'll be far from it for their GPs.

I was expecting this circuit to be really busy for Brian but he should really only be at 4/6 of them, basically Canada's and all of Europe's.

s_parks

Record Breaker
If Korea had accepted the Grand Prix, Junhwan, Junhyoung, Dabin and Eunsoo would get 2 spots. Why Korea, whyyyy? :dbana:

It's costly to host a gp. At least they're not hosting it and then giving plastic medals and providing crappy ice.

moriel

Record Breaker
It's costly to host a gp. At least they're not hosting it and then giving plastic medals and providing crappy ice.

But on the other hand it is a pretty rare chance, since GPs are all fixed. It is not like you get offered to host a GP every year

Just noticed that Nick Nadeau got only one assignment. Do you think Canada will choose him as the host pick?

cheerknithanson

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I'm surprised Kevin Reynolds has a GP assignment. I wonder if he's aiming to finally get a Canadian title?

Colonel Green

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
Skate America handicapping:

Men: Nathan already was a pretty heavy favourite to win here, but looking at this roster, only Vincent would come anywhere close to Nathan provided they skate decently.
Ladies: Satoko vs. would-be up-and-comers (mainly from Russia, but also including Kaori)
Pairs: Tarasova and Morozov will stomp everybody.
Dance: Hubbell and Donohue could probably win this even if they make one of their signature costly errors.

Also, Hubbell and Donohue are doing back-to-back events, interestingly.

Sveta

On the Ice
Poor Wakaba got the 2 toughest assignments 🙈

yes, Wakaba again got unlucky. She was robbed in Cup of China and Cup of Russia last year and think it will happen again, at least in Russia...
Depending on which shape Zhenya and Gabi will be, think she has high chance to win in Canada though...

UPD. I think both Zhenya and Wakaba have the hardest assignment and this is weird to me...

KwanIsALegend

Fly On
Medalist
Weird not seeing the usual names. Post Olympics seasons are always a bit of a shock.

I hope Gracie has a stellar season.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Well, I think Maria's going to be hard-pressed to make the GPF this year... I want Daria to sneak in there so much! Maybe beating Wakaba, Gabby, and / or a hopefully-not-so-overscored Carolina along the way :biggrin: