2018-2019 GP Assignments | Page 92 | Golden Skate

2018-2019 GP Assignments

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
Rika Hongo is at the top of the sub list.

I think that Courtney was at the top when there already were 3 assigned from Japan for the Russia GP. But, yes, the withdrawal of Wakaba would make Rika a priority now. But the field also include 2 who WD from their first events: Schott & Chen. So, much could happen in the next few days.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Russia gets to pick the replacement, not Japan, so it doesn't necessarily have to be another Japanese skater. Russia requires visas, so there's that to consider, and it's rather late as well. It's more likely that if they DO replace Wakaba, it will be with a European skater.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Russia gets to pick the replacement, not Japan, so it doesn't necessarily have to be another Japanese skater. Russia requires visas, so there's that to consider, and it's rather late as well. It's more likely that if they DO replace Wakaba, it will be with a European skater.

As far as I know, Europeans also require visa to enter Russia, at least Polish people do. I do not know if the process is easier for us Europeans because I never actually applied for one but I imagine it would be similar.

Really bummed by the Waka-chan news :( I wonder what has happened :(

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
Really bummed by the Waka-chan news :( I wonder what has happened :(

Her injury still hadn't fully healed during Skate Canada and since her 6th place finish means she stands no chance of making the GPF, she and her team probably (rightly) decided that there was no point in risking further injury by trying to fight through another GP. Considering how tough Japanese nationals is going to be, it's much wiser to heal now and conserve her strength for later in the season and a shot at the World team.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
Her injury still hadn't fully healed during Skate Canada and since her 6th place finish means she stands no chance of making the GPF, she and her team probably (rightly) decided that there was no point in risking further injury by trying to fight through another GP. Considering how tough Japanese nationals is going to be, it's much wiser to heal now and conserve her strength for later in the season and a shot at the World team.

Thank you for the information! I hope Wakaba recovers swiftly and comes back stronger than ever :)

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
is this list anywhere public? can you provide a link? Thanks

Go to the www.isu.org
Click on Figure Skating
Then hover the cursor over Figure Skating and select "Statistics" on the drop down menu.
Scroll down to Season's Best 18/19 and select "Total" under the Ladies discipline.
That will get you to this season's list. Then go up to the address bar, where you will see "2018-19" buried in the address.
Change it to "2017-18" and hit return.

Should give you the list. Same system will allow you to find the lists for the other disciplines if you select Total under them.

moriel

Record Breaker

I dont think that matters - europeans also need visa to enter Russia.
My guess is that it will not be an American skater, considering the current visa situation, but there is no big difference between europe and japan

Koatterce

On the Ice
Country
Canada
sub list (Rostelcom ladies)

26 Yuna Shiraiwa (FIN)
31 Rika Hongo (FIN)
41 Courtney Hicks (NHK)
46 Hanul Kim (FIN)
53 Emmy Ma
56 Rino Kasakake
58 So Hyun An
59 Kailani Craine (NHK)
62 Matilda Algotsson (IDF)
63 Viveca Lindfors (FIN)

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Based on past history, Russia has usually made last-minute replacements with European skaters.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Based on past history, Russia has usually made last-minute replacements with European skaters.

But at the same time they were already receiving 3 skaters from Japan and this withdrawal is with one week notice so I don't see why they couldn't replace Wakaba with Yuna (or Rika H.).

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Because they have to get a visa for them. I mean, everyone needs a visa, but it's likely easier for Europeans to get one than Japanese and most definitely easier than Americans.

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Because they have to get a visa for them. I mean, everyone needs a visa, but it's likely easier for Europeans to get one than Japanese and most definitely easier than Americans.

You're right, I forgot the Visa issue. Wakaba probably already had one but might be harder to get one last minute for a replacement. :(

Fruitpie

On the Ice
sub list (Rostelcom ladies)

26 Yuna Shiraiwa (FIN)
31 Rika Hongo (FIN)
41 Courtney Hicks (NHK)
46 Hanul Kim (FIN)
53 Emmy Ma
56 Rino Kasakake
58 So Hyun An
59 Kailani Craine (NHK)
62 Matilda Algotsson (IDF)
63 Viveca Lindfors (FIN)

Koreans don't need visa for less than 30 (or even 60, don't remember) days in Russia. So, it can be Hanul Kim.