Page 125 of 125 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125
Results 2,481 to 2,493 of 2493

Thread: 2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluediamonds09 View Post
    Thanks.
    I’m not familiar with Kawabata, who is she?
    She just finished her first JGP season. The quality of her jumps, especially the Lutz, is worth watching.

GS Supporter

0 Not allowed!
    Thanks.
    She was 3rd at Jr. Nats and 10th at Nats.

https://youtu.be/XMhdiujHMwE

I see why many people compare her to Yuna Kim.

On the Ice

3 Not allowed!
    Thanks.
    A girl who has the most phenomenal toe jumping technique that reminds a lot of us of Yuna Kim.

Rinkside

1 Not allowed!
    What Kawabata impressed me is her balletic posture and deep edges.
    I love her skating no matter her placement at competitions.

Bona Fide Member

0 Not allowed!
    Rika this season benefited from her well constructed LP, and of course, better consistency and 3A. However, I don't think she is skating much better PCS wise than last season, and far from the performance level of Satoko and Marin. I don't think Rika's jumps with the exception of 3A are as spectacular as Kaori's. I noticed that at 4CC, a lot of her jumps are tilted, a strategy or sign to compensate the lack of height. Satoko used to have quite a lot of tilted jumps too. Kaori's jumps have great distance across the ice

2 Not allowed!
    Rika had the highest measured speed at Japanese Nationals compared to Satoko and Mai who followed close behind and then Kaori and then Marin. She also had the longest and highest measured jump among the seniors with her triple axel. I find that the Rika has improved the most this season in PCS and performance quality which is consistent with international scoring and speed measurements at Japanese Nationals. Furthermore in a Japanese documentary featuring Nobunari Oda, Rika's excellent speed and skating skills as well as her great lower body strength were pointed out as features which allowed her to enter her triple axel with a very short set up closer to that used by men. I do hope that Rika works on getting a bit more height on some of her jumps, though the triple axel has very good height and distance, and Kaori does have very good height and distance on her jumps, but she also rotates slower and has a very questionable edge on her triple lutz.

Rika has excellent edges, quick turns, and smooth and intricate transitions like the multiple turns going into her triple salchow and turns and extended poses and movements on exit. I also think her expression and movement with her arms in the LP is the most elegant and expressive and that overall she is the most impressive when her technical, artistic and skating elements are combined. I think Satoko and Mai are also impressive in terms of skating skills and performance with Karoi's performance very strong too. I think everyone should have their own views on who they like best. I really like Marin's skating and hope she is able to overcome her difficulties, but jumping issues have begun to take away from the impact of her performances for me.

Tripping on the Podium

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by zanadude View Post
    The Ayaka Hosoda podcast is online now.

https://soundcloud.com/user-98393001...2-ayaka-hosoda

A very rare chance to hear a long interview with a Japanese skater entirely translated in English.
    Much of the podcast is now covered in a Japan Times article.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/...t-hopes-skate/

Bona Fide Member

4 Not allowed!
    Wakaba switched back to her 007 program for Challenge Skate this weekend!

Tripping on the Podium elektra blue's Avatar

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by frida80 View Post
    Wakaba switched back to her 007 program for Challenge Skate this weekend!
    that's a very good news, i loved it

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    The Japanese ladies will be a powerhouse come worlds. They could own the podium with a sweep. The Russians are not consistent and vulernable. Sofia is not as special as Kaori, Satoko or Rika. Alina seems to be hit by the puberty bug. And the third Russian will also be a flip of the coin. Liza was looking good until she got ill. Evgenia probably hasn't had time to fix things Any other lady is really hit or miss. Satoko will be hungry for the podium well actually all the Japanese ladies will be and considering where it is located I have a good feeling for Japan and not so for Russia. I guess the real challenge might be Bradie Tennell or Carolina Kostner or a perfect Mariah Bell.

Bona Fide Member

1 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skater Boy View Post
    The Japanese ladies will be a powerhouse come worlds. They could own the podium with a sweep.
    It's possible, but sweeping is really difficult because it requires all the Japanese women to skate their best and a number of other women (Alina, Liza, maybe a couple of others) to be off their top form. Satoko, in particular, could be vulnerable to < calls that might impact her score. Having said that, the three women are so strong that a sweep wouldn't surprise me.

Rinkside

0 Not allowed!
    Kaori Sakamoto’s current goal is to put a triple axel in her program by Japanese Nationals next season. Her coach Nakano said she wants Kaori to start working on quads once she’s able to do 3A.

https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/...997675009?s=21

On the Ice

0 Not allowed!
    Quote Originally Posted by drivingmissdaisy View Post
    It's possible, but sweeping is really difficult because it requires all the Japanese women to skate their best and a number of other women (Alina, Liza, maybe a couple of others) to be off their top form. Satoko, in particular, could be vulnerable to < calls that might impact her score. Having said that, the three women are so strong that a sweep wouldn't surprise me.
    I feel that
    1. Rika Kihira
    2. Alina Zagitova
    3. Kaori Sakamoto
    is the most likely outcome. Not guaranteed because anyone could have an off day, but this would be my pick.

Page 125 of 125 FirstFirst ... 25 75 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125