2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Since 2018-2019 season has started in other threads, i think it must be time to open the discussion here too.
So, 2017-2018 ends in a good way for japanese ladies with two worlds medals, which are the firsts since 2015. 4 girls reach 210+ points, the standard to be in medal contention nowadays. 2 others have 200+ potential. So pretty good field.

Main questions for next season:
Will satoko still dominate in Japan and win a 5th title?
Who will fight for the 3 spots?
Who will move up to seniors, and slay?
Who can fight for a medal against Eteristan in juniors?
Can anyone challenge Eteristan in seniors?
How many girls will attempt 3A and land it successfully?
Will Rika Kihira attempt a quad?
Can JSF have a better politicking?

singermelodie1

On the Ice
Will satoko still dominate in Japan and win a 5th title? Wakaba can give her a run for her money
Who will fight for the 3 spots? Kaori
Who will move up to seniors, and slay? I think that Riha should move up, may not slay depending if she's still not consistant
Who can fight for a medal against Eteristan in juniors? That will be hard
Can anyone challenge Eteristan in seniors? Yes,
How many girls will attempt 3A and land it successfully? Maybe wakaba
Will Rika Kihira attempt a quad? no. I hope she works on her consistency
Can JSF have a better politicking? probably not

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
As for Japanese ladies,

2 spots from Worlds

Higuchi
Miyahara

Not top 12 at Worlds but top 24 Season Best

Sakamoto
Mihara
Honda
Matsuda
Yamashita

So these seven ladies get 2 spots each, which means 7X2=14 spots
(Top 24 SB list guarantees only one spot, but skaters on that list got 2 spots in the past)

Also Rika Hongo's WS is still within Top 24, so one spot is guaranteed for her.

And now, there is a big speculation among Japanese fans
on what their federation would do with Rika Kihira.
She did not win at JGP final, and she did not medal at JW either.
Her SB is 27th, and her WS is 56th,
which means she did not earn any senior GPS spot on her own.
However, last year Yuna Shiraiwa did get two spots even though she did not have any of those qualifications.
The Japanese federation gave a host spot to her, and also an invitational spot from France to her,
even though Matsuda's SB was higher than Shiraiwa's (but both of theirs were lower than 24th)
that means they thought Shiraiwa got the more potential than Matsuda.

So it is very possible for Japan to get Rika Kihira two spots in the same way,
and it is not difficult to imagine that their federation likes her to compete for the next Worlds
which is going to be held in Japan
since she finished 3rd at the senior Nationals and also she is the 3A jumper.

14 spots are going to be used by other Japanese ladies,
and one (+ one possibly) can be for Rika Hongo,
and if Rika Kihira gets two spots, this means that 18 spots for Japanese ladies.
I assume that one country can send three skaters to each GPS competition
which means that 3x6+18 is the max.
However, it is not easy for me to believe that Japan can get three ladies to all,
though theoretically it is supposed to be possible, since I do not recall that it has ever happened before.
Russia or US have ever done that before, haven't they?

And if Rika Kihira gets 2 and Rika Hongo gets 2, there is nothing for Shiraiwa
because Japan can not get more than 18,
despite of the fact that Shiraiwa's SB (26th) is higher than Kihira's (27th).
And judging with their expectation on Kihira, they will not split two spots between them.

The competition among Japanese ladies is going to be even more fierce for the next season
as they will host the Worlds, and Rika and Mako will be age elgible.
I quoted this post of Bluelutz from another thread cause it's really interesting.
I didn't know that it's possible for Rika K to have two spots for GPs. I thought that she would get one spot at best. So i totally change my mind. I think that JSF will promote her in seniors. But will sacrify Yuna Shiraiwa who didn't prove herself this season, or Yura Matsuda who have also chronic URs and did only one or two international competitions this season.

irriya

On the Ice
I quoted this post of Bluelutz from another thread cause it's really interesting.
I didn't know that it's possible for Rika K to have two spots for GPs. I thought that she would get one spot at best. So i totally change my mind. I think that JSF will promote her in seniors. But will sacrify Yuna Shiraiwa who didn't prove herself this season, or Yura Matsuda who have also chronic URs and did only one or two international competitions this season.

are they going to have a national test competition at the beginning of the new season to decide who can get the spot? Russian seemed to have this kind of event.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
are they going to have a national test competition at the beginning of the new season to decide who can get the spot? Russian seemed to have this kind of event.

Test skates don't count for GP selection. It's pretty much decided before that. And no, Japan doesn't have test skates. Aside from juniors maybe. I don't know how JGPs are given.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Shiraiwa should get two spots next season coz Rika Hongo has not progesied since the 2015-16 season, only at nationals, Shiraiwa is challenging herself with 3lz-3lo not to mention her body has changed so much this season wich can explain her low consistency

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Test skates don't count for GP selection. It's pretty much decided before that. And no, Japan doesn't have test skates. Aside from juniors maybe. I don't know how JGPs are given.

Yes, the JGP assignments are largely based on summer test results. It's usually held a month or so prior to the 1st JGP, IIRC. But the domestic test is a closed one and results from the test never published.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I don't understand why the results are so secrets. Maybe because they don't always choose the girls who succed the test?

skatenewbie

Medalist
Main questions for next season:
Will satoko still dominate in Japan and win a 5th title? Sure, but Mai/Wakaba/Kaori will sure try to win their 1st nats
Who will fight for the 3 spots? Wakaba/Kaori/Mai/Rika (if she moves up)
Who will move up to seniors, and slay? Rika and Mako will move up i think but idk if they will slay hopefully Rika can be more consistent with her jumps incl 3A
Who can fight for a medal against Eteristan in juniors? Its hard... But Riko Takino won a bronze JGP iirc
Can anyone challenge Eteristan in seniors?
How many girls will attempt 3A and land it successfully? Wakaba said she'll do 3A so thats 2 with Rika. Hopefully both land it also Sui to land clean 3A!
Will Rika Kihira attempt a quad? I hope not
Can JSF have a better politicking? Idk... Maybe with 2019 world held in Japan?

its possible that Matsuda/Yamashita get 1 spot so Shiraiwa still can get 1 spot with Kihira getting 2 spot.

Shiraiwa should get two spots next season coz Rika Hongo has not progesied since the 2015-16 season, only at nationals, Shiraiwa is challenging herself with 3lz-3lo not to mention her body has changed so much this season wich can explain her low consistency
Hongo was consisten but underscored as always in PCS. Still get some UR but she can work that since her jumps are often borderline not severely URed. Its unfortunate that she have Skate Canada and we all know the panel was really harsh for everyone, many of her calls there are questionable tbh. Yuna get better tech but not consistent even comparing to Rika K. So idk if she deserves 2 spot. Her 3Lo combo often < or even <<

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
Will satoko still dominate in Japan and win a 5th title? - Depends on Wakaba as well!
Who will fight for the 3 spots? - Wakaba, Satoko, Kaori, Mai, perhaps Rika K. and Marin if she can get it together.
Who will move up to seniors, and slay? - Rika K!
How many girls will attempt 3A and land it successfully? - Rika K, Wakaba
Will Rika Kihira attempt a quad? - she shouldn't

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
How many girls will attempt 3A and land it successfully? - Rika Kihira, Sui Takeuchi, Wakaba Higuchi, Yuhana Yokoi, Riko Takino?

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
The state of Japanese ladies skating is always entertaining, looking forward to next season already!!!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
How many girls will attempt 3A and land it successfully? - Rika Kihira, Sui Takeuchi, Wakaba Higuchi, Yuhana Yokoi, Riko Takino?

I've read reports saying that Rinka Watanabe practices 3A too and attempted it in A local competition

Kara

Final Flight
Will satoko still dominate in Japan and win a 5th title? Not without a fight from the energized Wakaba, Kaori, and Mai!
Who will fight for the 3 spots? I don't even wanna think about the heartbreak yet.:drama:
Who will move up to seniors, and slay? I say Mako with her jumps and relatively good consistency. I just hope she gets better programs. Rika I see absolutely destroying 1 competition and then doing not so well the next.
How many girls will attempt 3A and land it successfully? Rika and Wakaba internationally. Possibly Yuhana. Riko I don't see happening and Sui's looked UR, but they didn't call it so they might ratify it domestically again.
Will Rika Kihira attempt a quad? Hopefully not.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Will Satoko get a 5th title? No, Kaori will get her first.
Who will fight for three spots? Kaori, Wakaba, and Mai
Who will move to seniors and slay? Mako and Rika move up, Mako is consistent but comes close to the podium each time, Rika wins a big medal and then can't get her nerves under control
Successful 3A? Rika. Wakaba might attempt but miss it.
Eteristan challengers? No one in juniors, Satoko in GP series but not championships
Rika doing a quad? Don't think so.

Alifyre

On the Ice
Does Kaori train a 3A? I thought I read somewhere that she did, and she's got such huge, beautiful edge jumps I could see that really working out for her if she worked hard.

skatenewbie

Medalist
Does Kaori train a 3A? I thought I read somewhere that she did, and she's got such huge, beautiful edge jumps I could see that really working out for her if she worked hard.
yeah she train it but not yet land a clean one based on last info which is beginning of 17/18 season. She was asked if she would add 3A to her program and she said no because her attempt is mostly fall/UR if landed.

sakurano

Final Flight
Difficult to answer these questions while the season has just finished, the season 2017/2018 proved to us that nothing is fixed everything can change.

For me Satoko will always be the AS of this team because it has something more ,However, I have to admit that Mai, Kaori, Rika K, Wakaba can destroy her.
Who can fight for the 3 spots is the most difficult questions because the juniors arrive and the elders have not said their last words.
I see Rika K still stay in the juniors,she has progressed in her presentation but has problems of coherence
, Yuhana will be senior next year but although I like it a lot I think it will move small so I do not see her kill anyway, why not Mako who has had a good season junior.

With the Quads and the 3 A of Alexandra trusova and Alena Kostornaia it will be difficult for the Japanese of the batters, maybe Sui and Rika K because for Nana will be a little fair.

We already know that Wakaba will train to do the 3A during the off-season, that Rika Kihira is able to do them in combination so this time, I see a lot of success .

Satoko wants to do 3A too, but can she do it perfectly? for the Quads although there are many girls who want to do it I think it's a little too early.

my answer is that it's time because they were so cruel with some skaters and I do not like the fact that they privilege some and not everyone, however they did well to give everyone a chance during the 2018 World Championships.

There is one thing that I have been wondering for some time, Japan to many talented girls but is there one that has no technical problem on ALL the jumps? because until the end they have URs, either they have lips with Flip or they have problems of flutz.

mikeko666

Final Flight
For me Satoko will always be the AS of this team because it has something more ,However, I have to admit that Mai, Kaori, Rika K, Wakaba can destroy her.
Who can fight for the 3 spots is the most difficult questions because the juniors arrive and the elders have not said their last words.
I see Rika K still stay in the juniors,she has progressed in her presentation but has problems of coherence
, Yuhana will be senior next year but although I like it a lot I think it will move small so I do not see her kill anyway, why not Mako who has had a good season junior.

Yuhana will remain in the junior next season. She said so in her twitter after Jr. Worlds.