2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 118 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

leoleo

Medalist
I take back my "+1 or 2 on pcs because of worlds in Japan". Japaneses judges gave her the same pcs than international judges while gave +5 on pcs to others. So i don't think there will be so much home boost for her.

When you look at enhanced protocols, JPN judges don't overscore their own (not by much at least) when other judges aren't scared to ding their competitors while overscoring their home skaters. I wonder why they do that. Maybe it's a japanese mentality thing

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Ayaka already has another event this season: the Japan "Citizens" championship in late January.

The formal name is 'National Sports Festival of Japan', which will be held from Jan 29th to Feb 2nd in Hokkaido.
(Now I remember why Ayaka wasn't assigned to Universiade: she has graduated from university already and is no longer a student, I think)

skatenewbie

Medalist
Her 4CC performance last year was clean
i know, i mean for this season. she's been consistent with her SP, only got UR in NHK, but her FS a bit messy compare to last season where she only pop her sal once in ACI (she pop 2A-3T in IdF but manage to put 3T in after 2nd 3Lz) this season she has pop the sal 3 times and pop the 2A-3T once. Nats was her 1st fully clean competition.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
The formal name is 'National Sports Festival of Japan', which will be held from Jan 29th to Feb 2nd in Hokkaido.
(Now I remember why Ayaka wasn't assigned to Universiade: she has graduated from university already and is no longer a student, I think)

Thanks. Where did you find the English name?

I thought she was taking a leave of absence from college, and thus hadn't graduated per se.

Wakaba for World Team Trophy please! :pray:

Mako and for me, Ayaka :) should hopefully get another competition this season. Something like Bavarian Open or Coupe du Printemps? It would be good for Marin, too.

Ah yes those were the names of the competitions I was thinking of. There's still the Challenge Cup in Netherlands which Marin was struggling with. Though I think if they sent her to one, she would still be struggling since Raf has many students to prepare for 4cc and Worlds.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
When you look at enhanced protocols, JPN judges don't overscore their own (not by much at least) when other judges aren't scared to ding their competitors while overscoring their home skaters. I wonder why they do that. Maybe it's a japanese mentality thing
They overscore at nats only.

champs

Final Flight
I'm happy Hina gets to go to Universiade! Yay! Been quite a while since last time a lady from Kyushu will skate in an international comp, I believe. (I miss Yukiko.)

Yuna Shiraiwa is selected for JW instead of Mako probably because Mako most likely declined the offer from the JSF before the final decision/announcement. Mako medaled there last season placing below the Russian girls who will most likely be returning this season.
Yuna otoh probably wants another international opportunity with a hope to improve her SB so no reason to decline an offer.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Will be good too to send some juniors to challenge cup like last season. Preferably those who didn't get selected for JWC.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Yuna Shiraiwa is selected for JW instead of Mako probably because Mako most likely declined the offer from the JSF before the final decision/announcement. Mako medaled there last season placing below the Russian girls who will most likely be returning this season.
Yuna otoh probably wants another international opportunity with a hope to improve her SB so no reason to decline an offer.

It's true that Yuna had been to JWC twice before without being podiumed both times. And from the world standing scores, since she already had two CS early on during this season, it probably won't be helped as much to go to another B competition next year. But on the other hand, to compete at Jr level won't be an easy task either. She will have to modify her programs to fit the jr level rules, and she'll have to compete extra to get the TES minimum to go to JWC. And sometimes I don't think it's that easy for 'order skaters' to compete against those up-coming skaters at the junior level. It may be a choice to improve her SB or getting more world ranking points by attending an ISU championship. But I kind of doubt how much it's going to help and if it will work out in the end.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Will be good too to send some juniors to challenge cup like last season. Preferably those who didn't get selected for JWC.

According to the schedule of international competitions published by JSF in their website (https://www.skatingjapan.or.jp/figure/event.php), the following B-level competitions in 2019 are listed:
*Mentor Torun Cup (January 8-12, 2019, mainly for ice dance and two dance teams are assigned already)
*Bavarian Open (February 12–17, 2019, incl. jr category)
*Challenge Cup (February 21–24, 2019, incl. jr category)
*Coupe du Printemps (March 15–17, 2019, incl jr category)

I think skaters in the strengthened categories will have the priority, but skaters who performed well at nationals could also be assigned.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
It's true that Yuna had been to JWC twice before without being podiumed both times. And from the world standing scores, since she already had two CS early on during this season, it probably won't be helped as much to go to another B competition next year. But on the other hand, to compete at Jr level won't be an easy task either. She will have to modify her programs to fit the jr level rules, and she'll have to compete extra to get the TES minimum to go to JWC. And sometimes I don't think it's that easy for 'order skaters' to compete against those up-coming skaters at the junior level. It may be a choice to improve her SB or getting more world ranking points by attending an ISU championship. But I kind of doubt how much it's going to help and if it will work out in the end.

I hope there will be no surprise if she gets junior PCS.

champs

Final Flight
the whole post
I agree with you more or less, actually. Just the following part
And sometimes I don't think it's that easy for 'order skaters' to compete against those up-coming skaters at the junior level.
to which I feel it probably doesn't make much difference from Yuna's point of view since she'll face those junior Russian girls next season at the senior level anyway.

And Yuna is more than a year younger than Yuhana so not terribly old to be at JW ;)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yes she's not that old for juniors. Actually wakaba, Rika, Mako, Marin, Yuna are all younger than Yuhana.
The surprising thing is that she goes back to juniors while she's already in her 2nd senior season. Usually seniors who compete at JWC are in their first senior season. Like Satoko in 2014-2015. She competed in senior GP and 4CC (Where she medaled), and fed sent her to JWC (where she doesn't medal).

Dreamer57

Record Breaker

Thanks! :) I wasn't aware of it before. Although Ayaka's triple axel wouldn't be ratified there if it's not recognised by ISU?
I hope she also gets to go to one of the competitions in your post #2352.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
Thanks! :) I wasn't aware of it before. Although Ayaka's triple axel wouldn't be ratified there if it's not recognised by ISU?
I hope she also gets to go to one of the competitions in your post #2352.

She has no plans beyond next month's competition. She said that she wants to consult with her family and coach before deciding whether to continue.

Kara

Final Flight
I think it's good for Yuna to get as many international competition chances as she can because at this point it's not too clear as to whether she'll get GPs next season. I just didn't expect JSF to send her to be honest, but I think it's overall a good choice. Tomoe can score big, but she can also flop in the free while Yuhana often makes mistakes in the short which is more unforgiving in juniors. The priority is getting 3 spots and max JGP spots for next season and one of the team needs to beat at least one of Yelim or Ting to get that as it's pretty much a given that number 1 will be one of the Russian wonder girls.

sakurano

Final Flight
I saw that some performances of these nationals, it is a surprising results but Kaori deserved its victory, Rika K fought well and Satoko was splendid , despite the errors, a pity that Mai and Wakaba missed the podium finally especially for Mai who misses it but I'm happy to see her again in two months for 4CC. It's surprising that the JFS is asking Yuna S to take the place JW I hope she's fine with her programs are great, unfortunately they had to sacrifice Nana which is a shame.
Rika H has made a good comeback now that she has to change coach I hope to see her more often, as well as Marin.
Congratulations to AYAKA who made us a nice surprise with her magnificent 3 A hoping to see her in future competitions.

The one I'm worried about most is for the future of Wakaba I know she did not recover from her injury but it's going to be twice that she misses the podium, she who was so promising he a few years ago, I'm afraid of not seeing her again, I hope I'm wrong and it's not the end of her career, but congratulations for taking the 5th place she did a very beautiful court and I love his smile.

lzxnl

Final Flight
I saw that some performances of these nationals, it is a surprising results but Kaori deserved its victory, Rika K fought well and Satoko was splendid , despite the errors, a pity that Mai and Wakaba missed the podium finally especially for Mai who misses it but I'm happy to see her again in two months for 4CC. It's surprising that the JFS is asking Yuna S to take the place JW I hope she's fine with her programs are great, unfortunately they had to sacrifice Nana which is a shame.
Rika H has made a good comeback now that she has to change coach I hope to see her more often, as well as Marin.
Congratulations to AYAKA who made us a nice surprise with her magnificent 3 A hoping to see her in future competitions.

The one I'm worried about most is for the future of Wakaba I know she did not recover from her injury but it's going to be twice that she misses the podium, she who was so promising he a few years ago, I'm afraid of not seeing her again, I hope I'm wrong and it's not the end of her career, but congratulations for taking the 5th place she did a very beautiful court and I love his smile.

To be fair, coming 5th in a field like that after such a long time off isn't anything to be ashamed of. Any of the four ladies that beat her have the capability to podium at Worlds or 4CC.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Wakaba will be fine. If she had totally bombed her two programs i would be worried. But she did well considering she stills injured.