2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 142 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
It’s so amazing to have such rivalry in ladies next season, and I praise Rika for trying to do quads to keep up with competition.
Thanks to Eteri and Mie Hamada, their brilliant talented girls, I think the competition got pushed so much in just a year.
I just think, if not for Eteri quad girls, would Rika be really motivated to go for quads so soon?
And thanks to Mie Hamada, Eteri girls are really working on mastering the 3A, without Rika, they wouldn’t be as motivated for it.
So both camps push each other, I find it so awesome.
Amazing ladies and their amazing coaches!

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
It’s so amazing to have such rivalry in ladies next season, and I praise Rika for trying to do quads to keep up with competition.
Thanks to Eteri and Mie Hamada, their brilliant talented girls, I think the competition got pushed so much in just a year.
I just think, if not for Eteri quad girls, would Rika be really motivated to go for quads so soon?
And thanks to Mie Hamada, Eteri girls are really working on mastering the 3A, without Rika, they wouldn’t be as motivated for it.
So both camps push each other, I find it so awesome.
Amazing ladies and their amazing coaches!

Rika started learning her Quads March 2017 before Trusova's first junior season. So yes she was motivated to do Quads before the Quad craze started, because her ultimate goal is the 2022 Olympics and she wants to do everything to be able to go there. They were just focussing on her 3A more the previous seasons and occasionally trained her Quads, because for them everything goes step by step. They don't want to rush things as far as I know.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Rika started learning her Quads March 2017 before Trusova's first junior season. So yes she was motivated to do Quads before the Quad craze started, because her ultimate goal is the 2022 Olympics and she wants to do everything to be able to go there. They were just focussing on her 3A more the previous seasons and occasionally trained her Quads, because for them everything goes step by step. They don't want to rush things as far as I know.

I disagree.
A lot of girls learn and try different things behind the scenes and not necessarily ever put them in programs. People try different things, and sometimes all those jumps or combos are left at the practice rink.
Yuna Kim was learning 3A too, but there was no need to put it in programs (3A weren’t allowed in SP anyways, and without lutzes Mao couldn’t exceed Yuna’s BV with hers), hence she never put as much attention to it.
But if it gave Mao the same advantage as it gave to Rika, Yuna would be risking it all and put all her effort into mastering 3A too.

As for Rika, if there were no quad girls, I doubt she would be putting quads in her programs this soon, when she can’t yet execute all three 3A and skate both programs clean. Skating clean would’ve been her #1 priority, and definitely not getting less stability by adding a quad. She would’ve been more focused on skating clean, because she actually can win everyone with 3As and without quads, rather than risking it all with quads.
I think she would’ve done it later, when she got more stable with her 3As.

And for quad trend, the person who really started it was Elizabeth then in 2015-2016. She was the first one ever who stirred the pot with her quad attempts and made herself known for that, and that is when quad craze really started, Eteri girls first got that idea, after seeing Elizabeth do them at Eteri’s summer camp.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
Wowza! :) that’s so incredible, we could be jumping from 150s this season to 190 next, insane!!!
What TES did you get? And what base value?

I got 78.02 in BV for her FS if I put everything in correctly. I gave her GOE she usually gets so mostly 3s and a few 4s in GOE and got 99.18 in TES

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
JSF - 2019 strengthened athletes (FS) announcement:
Strengthened A:
Men: Kazuki TOMONO, Koshiro SHIMADA, Yuma KAGIYAMA, Tatsuya TSUBOI, Yuto KISHINA, Shun SATO
Ladies: Mako YAMASITA, Yuhana YOKOI, Ayaka HOSODA, Nana ARAKI, Tomoe Kawabata, Yuna SHIRAIWA

Ayaka needs to treat Yuna to a bubble tea or something, as she really owes her kōhai a debt of gratitude. The only way she qualified for "Strengthened A" was under the condition of skaters finishing in the Top 8 at Nationals. Hosoda finished 8th, barely squeaking ahead of Shiraiwa, who had a subpar performance, but was probably getting a "Strengthened A" rating regardless based on being eligible for a Grand Prix event. Had Yuna done even slightly better, the best Ayaka could have hoped for was "Strengthened B".

This might sound like a put down, though I don't intend it that way, but I see Hosoda as someone who is exceptional at cosplaying as a figure skater. She doesn't really bring much to the table in terms of artistic ability or natural sense, but she is gifted with great athleticism, and can look at what others are doing and emulate it very well, to the point where she was actually able to learn to do a triple axel largely by watching Rika Kihira do it.

It's probably no coincidence that she started getting interested in quads around the same time that Vincent Zhou was training with Hamada. I think the coach even told Ayaka to take note of how Vincent does his quads.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
I got 78.02 in BV for her FS if I put everything in correctly. I gave her GOE she usually gets so mostly 3s and a few 4s in GOE and got 99.18 in TES

This is a TES of top male skaters, it will be mind blowing! I’m crossing my fingers for girls to be clean (and healthy) next season, it will be an amazing season! World records will be broken numerous times, I’m sure.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Any news on Marin? Is she training with Raf during the summer too? I really needs to get her jumps back next season.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker
Any news on Marin? Is she training with Raf during the summer too? I really needs to get her jumps back next season.

She appeared on Shae's instragram I think, and her tech layout for the free seems to be more challenging (I think they've put 3F+3Lo combo) and it probably signals that her jumps are getting better.

nussnacker

one and only
Record Breaker