2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 145 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I am sorry to say that Rika's short program music is not my cup of tea. I like unusual music but this one:scratch2: Wakaba's sp last season was much better in the unconventional music league.

Yuzuruu

the silent assassin
Medalist
I am sorry to say that Rika's short program music is not my cup of tea. I like unusual music but this one:scratch2: Wakaba's sp last season was much better in the unconventional music league.

tbh I'm not crazy about it either, but I still hope it will be improved before the season starts and maybe it will grow on us :)

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
It's kinda unfair to compare a seasoned vet and artistic pro like Satoko to a relative newbie like Rika, but their two programs currently really shows sort of the experience level between them. Satoko's SP is already looking in great shape in terms of interpretation and choreography. Very different for her, a bit more wild abandon than her typical neat, tidy, secure skating, which is refreshing to see.

Rika's choreography/program is a bit blah - EXCEPT for that glorious step sequence. If she can intersperse those sweeping full-body movements into the rest of her program, then it would really help sell it as a whole. But of course, this is an early run through and I'm sure it'll develop more. The music I'll probably have to warm up to but at least it's unique.

Both programs still have amazing potential though and I'm so glad to see something different than the usual warhorses.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
The choreography in Rika’s program is good, the problem is that she’s connecting with the music and her face is emotionless. She has to sell this program with heart and soul, otherwise it won’t work

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
I honestly love more Rika's program than Satoko's, the music Satoko is using is not my cup of tea but she has great choreography and emotion as always :agree:

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
The choreography in Rika’s program is good, the problem is that she’s connecting with the music and her face is emotionless. She has to sell this program with heart and soul, otherwise it won’t work

mmmm what kind of emotion you think she need to pull with this music? hapiness? I think she is doing well and this is the first time that show this program so she surely will sell this program with time, for example her short program from last season with clair de lune was not the music I was hoping for but I always thought that she put emotion to it and it worked, the long program was more my style and for the type of music she showed another type of emotion more serious and mysterious and I loved it, it's only the taste of each person.

brens78

Medalist
Country
Australia
New programs aren’t always perfect when they’re debuted and there’s still plenty of time to perfect them before the new season kicks off.

dunffvanstorn

Final Flight
mmmm what kind of emotion you think she need to pull with this music? hapiness? I think she is doing well and this is the first time that show this program so she surely will sell this program with time, for example her short program from last season with clair de lune was not the music I was hoping for but I always thought that she put emotion to it and it worked, the long program was more my style and for the type of music she showed another type of emotion more serious and mysterious and I loved it, it's only the taste of each person.

That program is supposed to be interpreted as wild, sassy, kinda ferocious in my opinion. It depends on how the skaters responds to it, but it needs more theatrical face expressions and movements. I see nothing in Rika’s face, absolutely nothing.

Leonardo

Final Flight
People will always complain, regardless of the choice/execution of music and choreography. When Satoko debuted "Song for the little sparrow", I immediately thought it was a masterpiece. Some thought it was predictable and a safe choice, more of the same, even though most thought it was incredibly beautiful. Now she performs a totally different style with a lot of grace and confidence, and some people still don't like it. It's just impossible to please everyone (and a little sad because Satoko is drop dead gorgeous in everything she does).

Leonardo

Final Flight
Regarding Rika's program/music: it's definitely weird. I'm really trying to like it, but it's hard to get used to it. At least, it's as original as it gets. Not just some bad version of carmen/poto/scheherazade.

But I love the fact that she's talented enough to pull this off. This program is very challenging, it demands a lot of great skating skills and dance skills. Not only her skating skills are excellent and help her immensely to perform very difficult changes of tempo, precise/fast steps with a lot of fluidity, but her dancing ability is lovely, great posture,flexibility, light fluid moves and musicality.

She can still improve her facial expression (not developed imho) and you can see she's still not comfortable with the choreography. I hope it gets better with time.

Lunalovesskating

Moonbear power 🐻
Record Breaker
I love Satoko's elegance mixed with Benoit's unique lines and transitions. After Satoko has gotten used to it she will sell it 100%. I am already excited to see her performing it during the GP season
Albeit not a fan initially of Rika's SP music, I think I will get used to the singer's voice. Without it I would love the program even more I think lol :D Satoko's and Rika's FS will probably be my favorites though.

Wow, I finally had the chance to see Satoko and Rika's SPs. I've never been a huge Satoko fan (sorry), but I LOVE the new SP and I'm so impressed by her skating to it! I also was worried I wouldn't like Rika's SP, but I think it's great, and I don't even mind the music. I very much hope to see great, clean, confident performances of these in a competition setting. Very much looking forward to both.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Am I right in thinking that the only promising junior-turned-senior coming up will be Yuhana Yokoi? Are there any others?
I’m asking because I’m trying to predict the world team, and certain skaters might try to sneak onto the team in surprising ways that no one saw coming!

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
Am I right in thinking that the only promising junior-turned-senior coming up will be Yuhana Yokoi? Are there any others?
I’m asking because I’m trying to predict the world team, and certain skaters might try to sneak onto the team in surprising ways that no one saw coming!

She’s the only one moving to seniors, that is true, but she is older than the current top seniors except for Satoko and Mai. She’s literally forced into senior competition because she reached the age cap.

christinaskater

Medalist
I wish Satoko didn’t change her costumes after Skate America.

She was skating perfectly and look exquisite and then decided to change her costumes after Skate America

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Satoko will attempt a 3A in her FS and is currently training a 4T
https://twitter.com/Iron_Klaus/status/1135819614271787008?s=20

Her jumps were very, very small at Fantasy on Ice. At the start of last season, her jumps looked stronger and it was clear she had trained hard through the summer/fall, but it didn't seem like she could sustain it through the season. Her motivations for training harder jumps are obvious but a quad doesn't seem feasible given the state of her triples. The 3A is not impossible but it doesn't make sense to put it in a program if she isn't landing it consistently in practice.

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
Her jumps were very, very small at Fantasy on Ice. At the start of last season, her jumps looked stronger and it was clear she had trained hard through the summer/fall, but it didn't seem like she could sustain it through the season. Her motivations for training harder jumps are obvious but a quad doesn't seem feasible given the state of her triples. The 3A is not impossible but it doesn't make sense to put it in a program if she isn't landing it consistently in practice.

Her 2A-3T has always been her best jump pass, so it makes sense that if she were to upgrade jumps, she would use the Axel or Toe Loop as the basis. I wish her the best, I never want her to retire.