2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 46 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

yyyskate

Record Breaker
i think clair de Lune showcased that Rika is capable extreme delicacy which none of her previous programs reached this territory. in this sense, it is a good vehicle for her growth and range. Also, its opening and closing pose reminds me of Yuna's Clair de lune. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Vi2QweFww (yes,I kr it is a fan edit) (sentimental and emotional... ofc for me:biggrin:)

Satoko's short I like the music and thought it has potential, for now, the music is a little bigger than the performance.
Marin's short, to me, feels like the same Marin in a different bottle. including her dance habits.. also feels like she is behind the music towards the end.
Mai's short, I think she is getting the feel slowly. better outing then debut.
Kaori's short, needs more work. (good transitions and elements, but she need to soften up her upper body lines, especially shoulders)
Yuna S's short is fun and rhythmic and she already got the feel.

tosca

On the Ice
I hate to bring anyone down and I hate to bring up skaters that technically don’t have anything to do with this thread but any gripes I had with any of the Japanese ladies’ SP’s have been washed away by watching Zagitova’s SP at The Ice. That choreo...:slink:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Satoko's progtam is lovely, but not outstanding. I don't know what she was talking about when she said that she will take a new direction in her SP though. I hardly see what is new.
Marin SP is interesting but she needs something more. And a new dress and make-up.
Kaori's SP......

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Almost every program this season has no convinced me. In this moment I only like Rika's fs and Wakaba's sp that are new, maybe we have more variation of music but I don't think it works in this way, with the time I'm sure I will like Yuna's and Rikas's sp and Kaori's fs but only those

Roast Toast

Medalist
I definitely see why Satoko says this SP is a new direction for her. It's reminiscent of the Planets FS in that it is turned entirely towards the audience -- it's big, swooping music that requires amplitude of movement and a more "obvious" show of emotion than Satoko is accustomed to. Her skating has always been very drawn-in, almost internal, which is why Sayuri was a masterpiece of precision and nuance. Even Madame Butterfly, which had a big, explosive choreo sequence into 2A near the end, chose to subvert the expected ending with her quiet layback spin and final pose. However, the criticism that has been brandished time and time again to justify her PCS marks is that she is less impressive live. I think we should trust her when she says she wants to challenge herself artistically; I can only imagine what more amplitude and speed would have brought to her programs last season.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I'm more interested by her FP. The costume is revealing so it must not be a shy tango.

doublequad

On the Ice
wow satton is so pretty in that dress!
personally i cannot wait for rika kihira's 3A-3T on the senior circuit. it will be the b omb

matmuh

what are levels anyway
Record Breaker
Satoko's new FS here at 28:51
https://youtu.be/08ouWZP2di8

this is just brilliant!! i knew Tom wouldnt dissappoint despite the "ohh its a tango" reactions, and i knew she would do it justice!! esp after her EX Aranjuez (and Hernandez's Hideaway), and Poeta too (which is one of my favourites and wish her to skate to it again someday), this is on par with Planets and i think with better TR and in between choreo, ahhh i love it!! :love::hap57:

mermaidfestavol3

On the Ice
Congrats to Mako and Yuna for medaling at the first Challenger event! Yuna placed 2nd after winning the free skate with a mostly clean program except for a fall on a 3Lz+3T and Mako was 3rd despite having some jump troubles (only did 1 combo). Both of them used the same music as last year but the layouts have changed. Yuna showed a fully rotated 3Lz+3T in the second half as well as a 3S+1Lo+2S combination.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Okay, i've watched Satoko's free. Beautiful, as usual. Tom Dickson did a wonderful job again. Refined, beautiful choreo with details. The interpretation is good.
But, i'm sorry (really, because i know everyone love this program), where is the tango? I'm not saying that this is not a tango, it's a tango. But it's so subtle and there are some (many) recycled movements that i think that this program looks a lot like her older programs.

Good point on tech side: Her 2A-3T is really her best jumping pass
Not so good point: The flip still looks extremely hard to land. I don't know why she wants to put it in her SP. Yes it worth more but her loop has much better quality.

Yuna Shiraiwa is getting better on URs issues. Congrats for winning the free skate at AO. That third combo is a bit weird. Does a 3S-1lo-2S worth more than a 2A-2T-2lo for example? And i'm surprised that she has a 2-5 content.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
yuna is improving her flip!! well actually many jumps, she still has urs problems but considering this is her first competition in early August I think is a good improve from last year, maybe we will see her 3lz-3lo combo soon

mermaidfestavol3

On the Ice
Okay, i've watched Satoko's free. Beautiful, as usual. Tom Dickson did a wonderful job again. Refined, beautiful choreo with details. The interpretation is good.
But, i'm sorry (really, because i know everyone love this program), where is the tango? I'm not saying that this is not a tango, it's a tango. But it's so subtle and there are some (many) recycled movements that i think that this program looks a lot like her older programs.

Good point on tech side: Her 2A-3T is really her best jumping pass
Not so good point: The flip still looks extremely hard to land. I don't know why she wants to put it in her SP. Yes it worth more but her loop has much better quality.

Yuna Shiraiwa is getting better on URs issues. Congrats for winning the free skate at AO. That third combo is a bit weird. Does a 3S-1lo-2S worth more than a 2A-2T-2lo for example? And i'm surprised that she has a 2-5 content.

3S+1Lo+2S is indeed an odd combo especially considering she already plans 2 3Lz+3T. The 1Lo+2S is worth 1.8, whereas if she just added a 2T+2T it's worth 2.6, and 2T+2Lo is worth 3.0 points. So she could stand to gain 1.2 points in BV from replacing the combo. Maybe the 3S+1Lo+2S is easier for her to backload/rotate all the way? Most skaters doing 2 3Ts will do a 2T+2T or 2T+2Lo combination to max out the BV.

ioanna

Record Breaker

Sorry but there's nothing recycled about this program. Except for probably one movement, I haven't seen anything like this in her older programs. But you're entitled to your opinion.