2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 47 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

Leonardo

Final Flight
Sorry but there's nothing recycled about this program. Except for probably one movement, I haven't seen anything like this in her older programs. But you're entitled to your opinion.

Imho, both programs are incredibly beautiful. Not enough adjectives. Satoko's artistry is a gift to the sport.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Sorry but there's nothing recycled about this program. Except for probably one movement, I haven't seen anything like this in her older programs. But you're entitled to your opinion.

Agreed. She is actually artistically pushing herself with this program. There's a fire and confidence that is beyond her usual soft and pretty programs which could come across as "safe"/simply pleasant.

chloepoco

Medalist
I am so impressed with Satoko’s new FS. Wow—that was just exquisite—what an artist on the ice!!!

amonemae

Rinkside
I really like Satoko's SP and FS! I enjoy that they really are highlighting her spiral because I love spirals!
Marin's SP is interesting as well, though I was really hoping that it was the White Stripes version.
I also really like Mako's SP, it plays to her strengths well.

We have GenSan Summer Cup this weekend so we can see Mai, Kaori, Rika H, Mako, Yura, Rin, Sui and Miyabi then I think it's US Classic next with Satoko and Yuna!
This season is so exciting already, I hope all the Japanese ladies do well! :luv17:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
We have GenSan Summer Cup this weekend so we can see Mai, Kaori, Rika H, Mako, Yura, Rin, Sui and Miyabi then I think it's US Classic next with Satoko and Yuna!
This season is so exciting already, I hope all the Japanese ladies do well! :luv17:

There is such a deep field in western competitions. That will be a good battle between Kobe girls. It will be the occasion to know Yura's music choices.
I hope that Rin Nitaya will have a good result so maybe the fed will give her a challenger.

Seems to me that this weekend there is also an eastern competition in which Wakaba take part?
ETA: From Cohkaix's post in Japanese national competitions thread:
[Aug 9th-12th] 'Kanto Summer Cup'
Participants/ starting order: https://www.jsfresults.com/local/201...5/01/index.htm
(Sr. ladies: 1. Wakaba Higuchi; 20. Yuka Nagai; 28. Akari Matsubara
Jr. ladies: 1. Yuna Aoki; 20. Tomoe Kawabata; 66. Akari Matsuoka

NoNameFace

GS given name - Beatrice
Record Breaker
I definitely see why Satoko says this SP is a new direction for her. It's reminiscent of the Planets FS in that it is turned entirely towards the audience -- it's big, swooping music that requires amplitude of movement and a more "obvious" show of emotion than Satoko is accustomed to. Her skating has always been very drawn-in, almost internal, which is why Sayuri was a masterpiece of precision and nuance. Even Madame Butterfly, which had a big, explosive choreo sequence into 2A near the end, chose to subvert the expected ending with her quiet layback spin and final pose. However, the criticism that has been brandished time and time again to justify her PCS marks is that she is less impressive live. I think we should trust her when she says she wants to challenge herself artistically; I can only imagine what more amplitude and speed would have brought to her programs last season.

I have similar impression after seeing Satoko's new SP and comparing it somehow to her previous SP works - it is far more 'abstract', based more on general continuity/flow of the music, building simultaneously by choreography to match musical climax. It is not as certain character-driven/based, giving her more freedom and abandon in putting emotions into the piece, interpretation of it. The music requires just other way of expression/projection to succeed and Satoko is aware of that. And as one who has a chance to see Satoko live in March in SP I can say that her detailed precision, intricacy in movement, flow and continuity in movement, control in it, musicality, interpretation skill, how she presents herself and program are captivating. But in times where most seems to care about jumps it is easy to diminish skills of skaters whose jumps are not perfect. Personally, I am happy to have witnessed Satoko live, it definitely enriched my perspective on Ladies' skating.

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
Satoko should go back to doing two 2A-3T's in the long program.

She'd be better off rotation-wise, GOE-wise, and if she put them both those combos in the bonus section, she'd have higher BV as well.

Just open with the 3Lz-2T-2Lo and train the 3Lz-3T for the short.

leoleo

Medalist
Satoko's long program is fantastic and that comes from a tango hater! she's so graceful and mature! i'm still unsure about the sp, i'll see if it grows on me later!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Is it possible she might be planning to upgrade the 3s+1Lo+2S to something else. Or that one of the latter two jumps may have been popped?

I don't know. I thought she wanted to do 3S-lo-3S and that she popped the 2nd 3S. But she already repeat 3lz and 3T.
If she finally add the 3lz-3lo combo, that 3S-lo-3S would not be a bad idea though.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

She'd be better off rotation-wise, GOE-wise, and if she put them both those combos in the bonus section, she'd have higher BV as well.

I think it's a good idea too. But seems like having a 3-3 in FS is sort of mandatory to be seen as technically competitive or worthy to be in top skaters group. IMHO if you have 7 triples so at least 5 type of triples, and you land them well, you are technically competitive. Some programs without 3-3 have even higher BV than programs with 3-3.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Satoko's long program is fantastic and that comes from a tango hater! she's so graceful and mature! i'm still unsure about the sp, i'll see if it grows on me later!

I think what I like about it is that it's not literally a tango, as some might expect it to be. Tango is an attitude and all about sharpness and attack... you see it in things like that movements/expression she gives at 30:59. https://youtu.be/08ouWZP2di8

Leonardo

Final Flight

Agreed. And the solo 3lo for the SP. But what can we do? Her team knows it, but she insists on her 3-3. Well, at least she was clean in the olympic games and did the best she could.

christinaskater

Medalist
Satoko’s new free skate is a masterpiece. She looks taller, bigger, more mature, sophisticated . Jumps have improved as well! Queen Satoko

- - - Updated - - -

LOVE this. Other ladies take note, Satoko ain't messing around. That footwork sequence is so exquisite. :clap:

I also liked the program of Kaori! She’s so powerful and she’s perfected that power to become graceful!

- - - Updated - - -

She is the best since my favourites Michelle Kwan and Akiko Suzuki

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I also liked the program of Kaori! She’s so powerful and she’s perfected that power to become graceful!

- - - Updated - - -

Good point! The commentator said her SP is designed to improve the quality of every element and bring out Kaori's usually hidden, "soft" side. Not sure about the music yet, but I think it has potential.

leoleo

Medalist
Who's Aoki Yuna? according to japanese fans on my twitter feed she had a fantastic skate today landing 3lz-3lo, 2A, 3F with a total score of 63.27
What competition is taking place today and who's competing? i'm confused :drama:

edit: it's Kanto Summer Trophy, Junior Ladies SP

Yuna Aoki, program East of Eden
3Lz-3Lo, 2A, 3F Clean! 63.27

idk her but this is very exciting! i live for seeing the technical content in ladies get more difficult :luv17:

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Oh, I'm glad to hear Aoki is still skating. She is a lovely skater & a special performer. Unfortunately not consistent at the JGP level in 2015-16 and 2016-17, both years in which the other Japanese junior ladies were strong enough to win 11 JGP medals. (Total of 22).

Her wikipedia bio is here.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuna_Aoki

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
The competition undergoing is Kanto Summer Trophy. Jr Ladies are skating now and the competition is only half way through (with around 75 jr. ladies to skate in total). So happy that Yuna is taking the lead! She wasn't in JGP last year due to injury. Yuna for sure is a lovely skater and with unique technical components: she's good at 3L as 2nd jump but not good at 3T as 2nd jump in jump combinations. Hopefully she'll be assigned to one of the JGP later on.

So part of the results for jr. ladies so far:
1. Yuna Aoki: 3Lz-3Lo, 2A, 3F//63.27
2. Tomoe Kawabata: 1Lz-3T, 2A, 3F// 54.18 (*assigned to JGP Bratislava, SP:scheherazade)
3. Shiika YOSHIOKA: 3Lz-3T, 2A, 3F (fall)// 52.41 (*assigned to JGP Linz)
4. Rion SUMIYOSHI: 2A, 3L-2T, 3F// 52.30
(Adding: Akari Matsuoka was scheduled to skate in #55 but seemed to have WD-ed. This is the 2nd summer competition she'd been WD-ed from, I wonder if she's injured or something...)

NB: Wakaba is scheduled to skate 1st in Sr. ladies in the competition tomorrow.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
The competition undergoing is Kanto Summer Trophy. Jr Ladies are skating now and the competition is only half way through (with around 75 jr. ladies to skate in total). So happy that Yuna is taking the lead! She wasn't in JGP last year due to injury. Yuna for sure is a lovely skater and with unique technical components: she's good at 3L as 2nd jump but not good at 3T as 2nd jump in jump combinations. Hopefully she'll be assigned to one of the JGP later on.

So part of the results for jr. ladies so far:
1. Yuna Aoki: 3Lz-3Lo, 2A, 3F//63.27
2. Tomoe Kawabata: 1Lz-3T, 2A, 3F// 54.18 (*assigned to JGP Bratislava, SP:scheherazade)
3. Shiika YOSHIOKA: 3Lz-3T, 2A, 3F (fall)// 52.41 (*assigned to JGP Linz)
4. Rion SUMIYOSHI: 2A, 3L-2T, 3F// 52.30
(Adding: Akari Matsuoka was scheduled to skate in #55 but seemed to have WD-ed. This is the 2nd summer competition she'd been WD-ed from, I wonder if she's injured or something...)

NB: Wakaba is scheduled to skate 1st in Sr. ladies in the competition tomorrow.

Thanks for the report.
Judges must have brought some coffee, 75 girls !
Glad too to see Yuna Aoki in the lead with her money combo 3lz-3lo.
Surprising that Tomoe Kawabata could add a 3T after the single lutz.