2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 86 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

sakurano

Final Flight
I just realized that her 218 world record was with mistakes, a fall on her 3A in the SP and bad landing on the 3S. How impressive. I'd love to see two clean programs from her and see just how much that would score but i'm not holding my breath. But if she competes even with minimal mistakes like at Ondrej Nepela she still has good chances of getting gold or silver in both her GPS. Her base value is enough to be ahead of Medvdeva in IDF (now that she no longer has the huge pcs boost and her lutzes are getting (e) calls) but Satoko could very much upset her in NHK if she's clean, Satoko is very consistent when she's on and she has the PCS advantage.

yes she is amazing :) I do not want to go too fast with her but I have great hope in it, I love her free program, she sells it completely.

in two weeks she will be facing the biggest competitors including her workout friend Satoko but I'm sure it'll be ok for her.

My ideal podium will be
Satoko
Rika K
Wakaba

but somewhere tell me that I dream too much it seems impossible especially for Wakaba
I am not supposed to be in December because it will be hard.

CONGRATULATIONS to Kaori and Mai for the podium it looks good for these two :)

leoleo

Medalist
Kaori seems very ON this season with 2 amazing programs last week + a victory this week. I hope she keeps this up in Helsinki. I'd love to see her on the podium with Alina. If Yuna can blow our minds too i'd love that. Her FS is just fantastic!

This season's Japanese Nats is gonna make me lose all my hair.

christinaskater

Medalist
A Star is born in skate Canada- Mako Yamashita

She is so impressive! So much star power, beauty, exquisite technique , musicality , subtlety.

She and Satoko will be my
Faves this season

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
A Star is born in skate Canada- Mako Yamashita

She is so impressive! So much star power, beauty, exquisite technique , musicality , subtlety.

She and Satoko will be my
Faves this season

Yeah i think Mako's short program especially was a good platform for her strengths and maturity level.

leoleo

Medalist
Does anybody know when western sectionals are taking place? I've seen someone on twitter say Rika Kihira will compete there. I was not aware of it.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Does anybody know when western sectionals are taking place? I've seen someone on twitter say Rika Kihira will compete there. I was not aware of it.

Western sectionals will take place from Nov 1-4, in Nagoya. It's this coming weekend.
BTW, all the information about Japan national competitions has been maintained under discussions in the National competition section/forum. And there's one section devoted to Western sectionals: https://www.goldenskate.com/forum/showthread.php?76215-2018-19-Western-Sectionals

Yes, Rika is in the entry list. But her participation will not be confirmed until the competition takes place (she may also WD as she's a seed skater).

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think the chances that Satoko will finish 4th or lower at Nationals are next to zero :laugh:

I think most of people thought too that there were no chances for her to finish behind Kaori and Mai at 4CC behind Wakaba at worlds.
Never say never. Ice is slippery.

skatenewbie

Medalist
I think most of people thought too that there were no chances for her to finish behind Kaori and Mai at 4CC behind Wakaba at worlds.
Never say never. Ice is slippery.
at that time i think its possible because 4CC was Satoko 4th competition after her long injury time. we also saw she got killed with UR calls in GPF as well, while Kaori and Mai was not known for UR. In NHK the probability of Satoko below Mai and Kihira is smaller than at 4CC last season though because we've seen her scored big and her better jumps that less prone to UR. Also it's in Japan. even though Japan is not known to inflate score or maybe inflate score a little bit only, they have overlooked Satoko UR in nats. At 2018 nats, Rika with her 2 3A in FS (i know she has stepout on 3Lo) still scored below Satoko.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
at that time i think its possible because 4CC was Satoko 4th competition after her long injury time. we also saw she got killed with UR calls in GPF as well, while Kaori and Mai was not known for UR. In NHK the probability of Satoko below Mai and Kihira is smaller than at 4CC last season though because we've seen her scored big and her better jumps that less prone to UR. Also it's in Japan. even though Japan is not known to inflate score or maybe inflate score a little bit only, they have overlooked Satoko UR in nats. At 2018 nats, Rika with her 2 3A in FS (i know she has stepout on 3Lo) still scored below Satoko.

Last season before 4Cc Satoko had just three competitions in a row with no obvious mistakes. And had just won the Japanese nats with big score. She had already recover her consistency. UR calls were not consistent, at all. She was the heavy favorite going to 4CC.
I wouldn't say that she's less prone to URs this season. It's not because she didn't get calls at SA that she doesn't UR. Last season she got 0 calls to at SA, then 3 calls in the next competition. For the NHK, the consistency and potential scoring are both on her side. Since Mai is consistent but doesn't have big big potential scoring. Rika has the best potential scoring but is not that consistent. I would say that Satoko's win depends of Rika's mistakes, and URs calls, because if she get calls, Mai has a chance.
Rika scored below Satoko at nats because there was a gap of 13 points in PCS. This season the gap will be far less that wide. She can beat a clean Satoko in both programs.

zanadude

Medalist
Country
Japan
My early betting line for Nationals:

1-2: Satoko Miyahara. Solid as always. If she avoids injury, it's really hard to not see her pull off the fivepeat.
2-1: Rika Kihira. Doesn't have to hold back her triple axel in the short program any longer.
4-1: Mai Mihara. Has a short program that suits her this year, and a free that we know she can nail.
5-1: Mako Yamashita. Really solid in her first Grand Prix event, and deserved the gold there.
8-1: Wakaba Higuchi. Battling injuries and acne, this is probably not her year to breakthrough.
10-1: Kaori Sakamoto. Due for a letdown after really overachieving last season.
20-1: The Field. Rebuilding of Marin Honda has only just begun. Rika Hongo is still competing? Don't see any junior making a serious run here.

Bonus Content: Since I can't find a thread dedicated to Japanese men:

2-1: Yuzuru Hanyu. The only reason he's this low is because he's been sick/injured for the past two competitions.
3-1: Shoma Uno. He's got to beat Hanyu sooner or later, right?
999-1: The Field. But of course, the true battle is for third, which will likely be for the third spot at Worlds. Surely this is the true reason for the return of Daisuke Takahashi?

chasingpolaris

On the Ice
Totally in love with Mako after this weekend. She has grown so much as a skater since her junior days. Hope she will medal at Rostelecom Cup too!

leoleo

Medalist
Totally in love with Mako after this weekend. She has grown so much as a skater since her junior days. Hope she will medal at Rostelecom Cup too!
A medal is definitely not out of reach for her if she performs like she did at SC. The competition there isn't too tough

@Cohkaix

Thanks for your answer. Since Kaori competed last week end (less than a week before her GP in Helsinki) i imagine Rika would too. I would really love her to compete, i want to know how well she does there to know if i should stay calm or freak out for NHK :laugh

christinaskater

Medalist
I think Mako will be the biggest skating star in Japan

Sadly, this sport prized top class beauty to get PCS top marks

Yu-na, Mao, Alina, Evgenia , Katelyn , Carolina all get 9’s

They all have exceptional faces and it adds
To their PCS

You have supreme skaters like Akiko and Satoko who don’t get top PCS scores because the beauty is not as ‘top level’ as the other girls

I don’t like to believe this but time and time again this always happens

Mako deserves it as well! But her blossoming beauty will really help her

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think that politicking/reputation rather than beauty that define PCS.
And remove Mao from your list of skaters with top PCS. Even when Kim and Kostner bombed their programs, judges still give them higher PCS than Mao. Mao never got 75 PCS for a disaster, and was far from this level of PCS when she came back and still had all her jumps.

leoleo

Medalist

leoleo

Medalist
I think Mako will be the biggest skating star in Japan

Sadly, this sport prized top class beauty to get PCS top marks

Yu-na, Mao, Alina, Evgenia , Katelyn , Carolina all get 9’s

They all have exceptional faces and it adds
To their PCS

You have supreme skaters like Akiko and Satoko who don’t get top PCS scores because the beauty is not as ‘top level’ as the other girls

I don’t like to believe this but time and time again this always happens

Mako deserves it as well! But her blossoming beauty will really help her

this is a weird comment sorry! what does beauty have to do with skating? it's ridiculous. PCS scoring is definitely ridiculous; i think it's a reputation, status, consistency and nationality score at this point. It rarely ever reflects what is being done on the ice! Despite having some of the best edges and skating skills in the sport Marin will never get the scores she deserves if she isn't consistent, while others will see their scores skyrocket as long as they land their jumps + have difficult transitions. Beauty really... idk how you drew this conclusion.