2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 88 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

tosca

On the Ice
Kaori-Chan really showed what a fighter she is. I love her. My favorite senior - yes, over Marin and and Satoko (I love both Marin and Satoko). Watching her grow and mature over the last two seasons has been sensational.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I think it's because Rika is inconsistent. That's usually why people overlook her. She landed all her jumped in her SP today at western sectionals tho. We will see how she handles her nerves next week at NHK

I'm sending all good vibes to Kaori today.

Yeah, Rika did well today. Let’s see how she will do in the Free. If she skates clean again then I’ll really get my hopes high for NHK, which will be the real test of Rika’s nerves.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Poor Yuna. Two skates without mistakes and not on the podium. She's always destroyed with URs calls. There are skaters with worse jumps who are not dinged as hard as her.

leoleo

Medalist
Kaori has to go to the GPF, please @ the universe, don't let us down
Poor Yuna. Two skates without mistakes and not on the podium. She's always destroyed with URs calls. There are skaters with worse jumps who are not dinged as hard as her.

How dare you question the judges? :eeking:

She looked so proud of herself but then the score... and her smile just disappeared :sad21:

tosca

On the Ice
My poor Rika Hongo. I hope that she gets time to get accustomed to her new coaching situation and can get back into her top form. Pains me to see her cry. It really does.

- - - Updated - - -

She looked so proud of herself but then the score... and her smile just disappeared :sad21:

The edge call she got on her lutz really hurt her.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

Well, i see that you are traumatized by some discussion:laugh:

leoleo

Medalist
Well Yuna is only 16, i hope at least it was a learning experience for her. 2 clean programs i hope are enough to boost her confidence despite the scores.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I'm probably the only one but i can't stand Mie Hamada overpositive attitude when such scores are announced. As if it was a good thing. I know that it's her way to support her skaters but i can't stand it. Though she's not like that when she trains her skaters, since Megan Duhamel said that she's tough during practices.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I'm probably the only one but i can't stand Mie Hamada overpositive attitude when such scores are announced. As if it was a good thing. I know that it's her way to support her skaters but i can't stand it. Though she's not like that when she trains her skaters, since Megan Duhamel said that she's tough during practices.

Would scoffing or rolling her eyes have solved anything? Skaters deserve support in the kiss & cry, especially when they're disappointed. They will most certainly look back on her program and see what needs to be fixed. Yuna hasn't skated this well since she was a junior so I think she deserved Hamada's overpositive attitude in this case.

leoleo

Medalist

What else could she do really?

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Would scoffing or rolling her eyes have solved anything?
No. But the way she reacted didn't help either. Yuna didn't put a big smile on her face just because Hamada was smiling as she had just won something. IMO, neutral face while tapping the shoulder of Yuna in supportive way would have been fine. Not acting as if it was a superb score for that free skate.

ioanna

Record Breaker
No. But the way she reacted didn't help either. Yuna didn't put a big smile on her face just because Hamada was smiling as she had just won something. IMO, neutral face while tapping the shoulder of Yuna in supportive way would have been fine. Not acting as if it was a superb score for that free skate.

Again, I don't think it was that. It's the first time Yuna has put two clean programs together in forever and Hamada must have been proud of her. I'm glad she showed that to her student instead of showing disappointment. It's not the judges sitting there to get Hamada's reaction, Yuna is.

This is what I call a reaction to a superb score.
https://youtu.be/xLJp13toSI0?t=445

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I'm glad too if she reacted like that because she was proud of her student who did a clean competition. Just that she react like that........everytime. Which is not that bad, just weird in some cases.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I think Yuna slightly improved from last season. She had more falls or pops and now she skated "clean." The urs will be hard for her address though. You either has to be an explosive jumper, or a stick figure (fast rotation), or both to get away from ur. Marin would have a similar battle as Yuna.

Well Yuna is only 16, i hope at least it was a learning experience for her. 2 clean programs i hope are enough to boost her confidence despite the scores.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yes, the same problem than Marin. When she was junior she wasn't getting so many UR calls. I remember her superb free skate at 2016 nationals which scored big (130 is big for a junior skater in Japan). Her jumps were big and effortless. She was really promising. But her body is different since then. So it's harder to jump well.

tosca

On the Ice

Also, really hoping to see Kaori at the GPF. I think a lock are the following (warning - this is just my opinions... no crazy algorithms have gotten me to these thoughts so don't yell at me :giveup:) :
Alina Zagitova (15pts) - surely she will get first at Rostelecom giving her 30pts
Satoko Miyahara (15pts) - I would be surprised if she did not get first at NHK giving her 30pts

The people who have the BEST chance of qualifying are:
Rika Kihara - I think she will likely get 2nd at NHK (I know my predictions say otherwise) and 1st or 2nd at IDF for a total of 26-28pts
Evgenia Medvedeva (11pts) - She could get first at IDF... but with her reworking her tech I think 2nd is more likely 24-26pts
Elizaveta Tuktamysheva (15pts) - NHK... looks so wild. We got heavy favorite Satoko. We got the battle of the triple axels with Rika. Clean... I think Sato- and Rika would get the home advantage... but who knows if Satoko gets a few carrots and Rika... is inconsistent she could get first! Basically i can see Tuk getting 1-4 at NHK. 24-30pts

Other people who are in the mix arae:
Mako Yamashita (13pts) - Honestly so surprised... but her next competition is at Rostelecom. If everyone goes clean she could be 3rd/4th at best. But seeing how this season turned out, I wouldn't be surprised if she snuck into 2nd. 22-26pt
Sofia Samodurova (11pts) - She could be 2nd or 3rd at Rostelecom... 22-24pts
Stanislava Konstantinova (13pts) - I honestly think that she has a deep field she is going against at IDF and she could maybe get 3rd at best... 24pts
Lastly, we have lovely Mai Mihara - I think she will probably eek out two 3rds knowing the fields she is going against. but could get a 2nd... or could even get 4th at NHK 20-24pts

If it came down to a tie in points. Kaori could get the edge over someone like Sofia and Stanislava. Fingers crossed for Kaori!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Mako can medal at Rostelecom. None aside Zagitova is known for her consistency or high potential scoring. Would be great to see her at GPF too.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
Again, I don't think it was that. It's the first time Yuna has put two clean programs together in forever and Hamada must have been proud of her. I'm glad she showed that to her student instead of showing disappointment. It's not the judges sitting there to get Hamada's reaction, Yuna is.

This is what I call a reaction to a superb score.
https://youtu.be/xLJp13toSI0?t=445

Yeah, I'm not seeing the problem with Hamada celebrating Shiraiwa getting close to her PB total score ever. Even if she had gotten a personal best, she wouldn't have beaten Kaori or Stanislava.

Another thing: Shiraiwa got a personal best for the FS (whether old IJS or new IJS). So Hamada celebrating that is somehow an issue? :laugh:

Shiraiwa was fantastic. If she can clear up her UR issues, she could push for the podium at Japanese Nationals. Really fun, positive skate to watch. Thrilled for Kaori too! Honestly, while her FS was miles better than Konstantinova, I'm glad Stanislava won, given Kaori's 2 falls in her SP. Great bounce back for Sakamoto though, and hopefully enough to make the GPF, where she really does deserve to be competing, IMO, given she's got some of the best jumps of the field (save for the flutz which cost her the automatic GPF spot).

Joekaz

On the Ice
I think it's time that coaches start making a scene. This "sport" right now is just a dance contest on ice judged by corrupt and or incompetent people. The only thing consistent about the judges is how they are influenced by federation pressure to favor certain of their skaters. Just staying quiet and playing along wont change anything. Start making trouble and actually say something about it to the media.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Mako can medal at Rostelecom. None aside Zagitova is known for her consistency or high potential scoring. Would be great to see her at GPF too.

Dang, it's so hard. Mako was great at SC. And I love Kaori, and Satoko too. Why must the GPF only have six spots?