2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 90 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Now since the ladies' FS at Western sectionals has finished:

Rika's 3A from her SP (GOE 0.00): https://twitter.com/marin_channel/st...74274944286720
At least two ladies challenged two 3As in their FS: Rika Kihira and Ayaka Hosoda. Both landed two (with one 3A in combination).
Ayaka's in her FS: https://twitter.com/marin_channel/st...77418285727750

Protocol of FS (in Japanese, the 1st one is Rika's and the 2nd one Ayaka Hosoda's):https://www.jsfresults.com/National/2018-2019/fs_j/west/data0205.pdf

As for junior ladies', Kinayu Yokoi also attempted 3A, it seems she also landed the jump but it was with 0.00 GOE.

How old is Ayaka Hosoda? I read somewhere that she wanted to retire last season but decided to skate one more season. It's impressive to see her pop up out of nowhere with 3A.

Interesting to see that story is repeating, but in reverse. Yuhana is doing better than Nana while last year Nana was doing better than her. Kaori is doing better than Wakaba while last year Wakaba was doing better than Kaori. I would like to see a reverse at nats too (Wakaba ahead of Kaori and Nana ahead of Yuhana) and see what JSF will decide. Drama:biggrin:

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
I think it's time that coaches start making a scene. This "sport" right now is just a dance contest on ice judged by corrupt and or incompetent people. The only thing consistent about the judges is how they are influenced by federation pressure to favor certain of their skaters. Just staying quiet and playing along wont change anything. Start making trouble and actually say something about it to the media.

This.

combinationspin

On the Ice
I wouldn't go as far as saying that. Just because she's not acting frustrated in the kiss & cry, doesn't mean the performance or judging didn't matter to her. Did any coach ever change anything if they "kept it real" in the kiss & cry?

Eteri T. does this and I think it plays a big role for her success. Even Olympic champion Alina feels the weight of Eteri’s stare after a less than perfect performance. I think how the coach reacts in the K&C is very powerful because of the immediacy and publicness of the moment. I bet Eteri’s girls want to prevent a tense K&C by all means and this motivates them to address their weaknesses immediately.

leoleo

Medalist
Eteri T. does this and I think it plays a big role for her success. Even Olympic champion Alina feels the weight of Eteri’s stare after a less than perfect performance. I think how the coach reacts in the K&C is very powerful because of the immediacy and publicness of the moment. I bet Eteri’s girls want to prevent a tense K&C by all means and this motivates them to address their weaknesses immediately.

I wouldn't say that's the reason of Eteri's success. Eteri's camp has a really hard & strict training regime, Lilbet said she felt the difference as soon as she was back from Canada. They do several full run throughs to build consistency. Her girls don't only deliver because they're scared of her :laugh: I really don't think reaction in the K&C matters. I mean Raf has a no bullsh:curse:t personality, he doesn't mind dragging his skaters publicly, if it worked that way, the top girls in the sport would be Eteri & Raf girls.
If Hamada smiles in the K&C but works in fixing what's wrong behind the scenes, i really don't see the issue with her positive reactions.

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
:laugh2: Mie Hamada is the happy-go-lucky, positive reinforcement we all wish we had during our worst moments. :laugh:
Haha I don’t see Mie Hamada as the happy go lucky type at all. When I watch her in the kiss and cry, and I see she’s not holding her pupils hand when the scores are announced, I’m like, she IS PISSED! Lol

Side note, I think Hosoda’s FS was the first time I ever saw 4 axel jumps in one program? She should have done two singles as well and made it an even half dozen. Also 3 toe jumps. Not alotta variety there.

combinationspin

On the Ice
I wouldn't say that's the reason of Eteri's success. Eteri's camp has a really hard & strict training regime, Lilbet said she felt the difference as soon as she was back from Canada. They do several full run throughs to build consistency. Her girls don't only deliver because they're scared of her :laugh: I really don't think reaction in the K&C matters. I mean Raf has a no bullsh:curse:t personality, he doesn't mind dragging his skaters publicly, if it worked that way, the top girls in the sport would be Eteri & Raf girls.
If Hamada smiles in the K&C but works in fixing what's wrong behind the scenes, i really don't see the issue with her positive reactions.
I definitely agree that Eteri’s K&C behaviour is not the only reason for her success. But I think it is an essential part of her hard and strict regime because it sets the tone of what their aims are. Thus she constantly makes it clear that she wants technically flawless performances that exploit the judging system to the outmost. If she was all smiley after rather disappointing scores, she woudn’t be credible.
Yuna having 3 URs in the LP, which she apparently didn’t even noticed, are severe flaws under the judging system. I just found it a bit too much in this situation when Hamara acted like they met their goals after her student came to realize that her performance was a lot more flawed than she had thought.
And I do think that Mariah Bell became more gritty after switching from always sympathetic Kori Ade to Raf A. Marin looked really embarrassed when Raf couldn’t stop lecturing her in public after her LP at SA, we’ll see if her attitude changes.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think Hamada knows that her behavior is good for PR and that's maybe it can help her skater (mostly her n.1) scoring-wise.

christinaskater

Medalist
I don’t think we should believe all the negative stuff about the coach of Satoko

I think she is a great woman.

She is their coach- she has to be tough but when she is in the kiss and cry , she has to be supporting and appreciative

With Yuna this is one of her best skates ever! I agree that she is proud that she skated very well. She wants to encourage her to really work harder to get better

mermaidfestavol3

On the Ice
To be fair to Yuna and coach Hamada, it was one of Yuna's best performances on the senior level. This was her best FS to date so she should be quite proud of her accomplishment. However, the 3Lz+3T was visibly tight on the 3T rotation and I would say it was a fair call. If I am nitpicking, I have to say that I didn't see the 3S as UR, especially when certain other skaters were not called for some borderline URs (not naming any names). If I were coach Hamada, I would want to be supportive especially since the Kiss and Cry is public for everyone to see. I don't think Yuna would have enjoyed getting lectured while televised about her 3 UR calls, especially since the performance was one of her best.

(And for the record, I wish we could see Yuna again at Rostelecom Cup instead of Yura Matsuda. Nothing against Yura, it's just that I think Yuna did really well and Yura lacks the 3Lz and 3F.)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Don't start to talk about Mai's PCS please. It hurts my heart already. I guess that she can get 31 and 65 PCS at least for clean skates....

She rocks that SP since the beginning of the season, so i hope that she won't do the same thing than last season.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker
ending pose though, she so cute :laugh:

now that GP Finland is over, can i get nervous for Mai? she will compete against one of the toughest field on both of her assignments :sad21: i know she can deliver on the jumps but how will her PCS go, i want to see her GPF but its gonna be tough :dbana:

If skaters like Samodurova and Yamashita have proved anything, it's that just skating clean or close to it can get higher results this season given many of the ladies aren't bringing their A game quite yet. Mai's usually a consistent skater, so I'm hoping she will do well - I'm hoping her programs have improvements though because that's holding her back, not the technical.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
The other issue with Mai is the luck. She's always in fields where you can't medal with less than 65 in SP and less than 135 in FS like Samodurova.

leoleo

Medalist
Yeah i have said that before, Mai should have been sent to Helsinki and/or Rostelecom instead. I'm trying to understand the logic behind JSF assignments. It's like they picked randomly. Mai has showed podium potential last season especially in the end with the beautiful performances at 4CC. They could have sent Yura at NHK and IDF instead since she obviously has no chance of medalling. Anyway, Mai is consistent, if any of the other girls falters and she's clean, she could medal. I expect her to nail her FS, she's used to it and she has performed perfectly several times before.

tosca

On the Ice
Last season, Mai’s only problem was her discomfort with her SP. she ALWAYS made mistakes in the SP and had to climb her way back in a stacked field to 4th in her FS. My only problem is that her SP this year is that it is nice but it doesn’t push her. I said it before and I will say it again... she needs a statement program that will make a mark on the judges.

randomfan

Record Breaker
Yeah i have said that before, Mai should have been sent to Helsinki and/or Rostelecom instead. I'm trying to understand the logic behind JSF assignments. It's like they picked randomly. Mai has showed podium potential last season especially in the end with the beautiful performances at 4CC. They could have sent Yura at NHK and IDF instead since she obviously has no chance of medalling. Anyway, Mai is consistent, if any of the other girls falters and she's clean, she could medal. I expect her to nail her FS, she's used to it and she has performed perfectly several times before.

Federations have no control over where their country’s skaters go, except for their home GP if they have one. It’s been like that for a long time.

skatenewbie

Medalist
i hope Mai can get better PCS, its in Japan. I know Japan didnt overscore much compared to other country but i expect her PCS close to nats? she got 66 in FS, also keep in mind she got 68 in 4CC back then so there is potential to get higher than 65 😀

surimi

Onward and forward, Sota!
Record Breaker
What's the issue with Hamada's KnC conduct? I am not one to enjoy watching strong emotions, no matter how genuine, or frowny faces, and actually find it very refreshing when a coach is smiling and supportive no matter what.
On a different note, has there been any update on how Wakaba is doing?

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
What's the issue with Hamada's KnC conduct? I am not one to enjoy watching strong emotions, no matter how genuine, or frowny faces, and actually find it very refreshing when a coach is smiling and supportive no matter what.
On a different note, has there been any update on how Wakaba is doing?

I don't think anyone has issue with her conduct. We're all just analyzing and over analyzing, just for fun and conversation. Because the KnC scenes are so long on TV sometimes, you're just staring at them until the scores post so you can't help it.

Sometimes I give Hamada KnC performance +4 GOE for hand holding with tears of joy, or -1 GOE for no hand holding and only simple nods of acknowledgment.