2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 92 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

risingtrot

On the Ice
omg this seems serious. I am so worried. Please let it not ruin her entire season or career.

An interesting post from a russian website.
https://www.sports.ru/tribuna/blogs/ternovblogfk/2237837.html
They studied the junior ladies jumps (Russian, Japanese and korean) and ranked them in terms of height, distance, pre-rotation. Yuhana, Tomoe & Nana came out on top as having really big, powerful jumps.
When they compared the lutz, jesus christ, Tomoe's lutz is massive and you can see how much the other girls pre-rotate compared to her. She has zero pre-rotation, what a fantastic jumping technique she has. I am mind blown. The author of the post calculates that her 3lz is even higher than the junior quads :agree: I just cannot wait to see how she grows as a skater.
https://cdn.tribuna.com/fetch/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fimage.ibb.co%2FjFTp5A%2F3Lz-gif.gif
It is worth taking a look at, even if you barely get the point with the help of google translate, they provided images to prove their point.

Very interesting article. The GIF clips were great and its quite interesting that they tried to measure the delay in rotation as well.
That said, the prerotation data was definitely very interesting. At least they also recognize from their article that a lot skaters including from their federation prerotate a lot. Some more than others.

Finally, have always found Nana promising so I hope she gets that rising star moment someday.

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
I really wish score protocols would offer more information about step sequences. Satoko got another level 3 on her steps and I want to know what element(s) she's not getting credit for. Do coaches usually ask about it after a competition?

That short program of hers this season tho...THE best.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
I really wish score protocols would offer more information about step sequences. Satoko got another level 3 on her steps and I want to know what element(s) she's not getting credit for. Do coaches usually ask about it after a competition?

That short program of hers this season tho...THE best.

To me, Satoko's step sequence looked like an ice coverage issue in the short. It could be something else entirely, but that's my guess. She's struggled with that sometimes before. She's a petite skater with a shorter stride so she needs to work doubly hard to really sweep across the surface.

Leonardo

Final Flight
She's struggled with that sometimes before.

The invalidated stsq from skate canada 2016 was bs. Satoko is small, but very fast and has very good edges with excellent ice coverage. Problem here was probably the fact that the tech pannel stopped validating satoko's stsq right before her little spiral. You can notice the screen shows the stsq lv 3 with the goe during the spiral and before the end of her steps (with those beautiful twizzles).

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland
The invalidated stsq from skate canada 2016 was bs. Satoko is small, but very fast and has very good edges with excellent ice coverage. Problem here was probably the fact that the tech pannel stopped validating satoko's stsq right before her little spiral. You can notice the screen shows the stsq lv 3 with the goe during the spiral and before the end of her steps (with those beautiful twizzles).

Be that as it may, Satoko herself has said in interviews that ice coverage is something she has to be very conscientious about because sometimes she finds herself having trouble with it. I'm not specifically referring to SC 2016 or any other competition.

While I was watching the short from NHK yesterday, I noticed that her step sequence didn't have the best possible ice coverage I know it can so that's why I think the level might have been impacted by it.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Be that as it may, Satoko herself has said in interviews that ice coverage is something she has to be very conscientious about because sometimes she finds herself having trouble with it. I'm not specifically referring to SC 2016 or any other competition.

While I was watching the short from NHK yesterday, I noticed that her step sequence didn't have the best possible ice coverage I know it can so that's why I think the level might have been impacted by it.

Interesting, I never noticed that. I will rewatch her sp

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Wakaba and Yuna have the same height than Satoko, but it doesn't seem to me that they have the same issue of ice coverage.

Leonardo

Final Flight
Wakaba and Yuna have the same height than Satoko, but it doesn't seem to me that they have the same issue of ice coverage.

I think nowadays Satoko doesn't have that problem anymore. Her SS got much better. Rewatched her sp and her ice coverage looks excellent.

DanseMacabre

Final Flight
Country
Iceland

It's not just a matter of height and stature. It's also to do with how much power you generate with each stroke. Satoko has the most divine skating skills and terrific ease and flow across the ice but power isn't really something I'd list in her greatest strengths.

It's also to do with choreography and a mindful spatial awareness when executing all the complex elements of her step sequence. It's so complicated and she has so much to consider while doing it that I think during this particular instance the coverage just wasn't as great as it could be.

I'm not trying to knock her skating! I honestly think she doesn't receive the credit she deserves for her skating fundamentals when it comes to comparing them across the board, but I think maybe that's why this particular sequence wasn't given a level 4. It's not to do with skating skills as defined in the ISU guidelines. It's about the level of the particular element on the TES side of things.

On the other hand, it could be something else entirely. I don't know if the caller identified the required number of distinct turns and steps or maybe she repeated (or was called to repeat) a turn or step she wasn't meant to which would knock her down a level. You can read up on the requirements for levels here: https://www.usfigureskating.org/content/Technical Panel Handbook_Singles Skating.pdf

Unfortunately the protocols don't specify where the reduction came from so it's just one possible explanation.

ETA: I'm rewatching her SA short (where she got a level 4) to see if I can spot the difference but unfortunately her feet are cut off by the camera a number of times which makes it a bit pointless.

jenm

The Last One Degree
Medalist

I noticed that as well. I wonder why that is. Those twizzles were divine and, to me, the highlight of her program.

Joekaz

On the Ice
Does anybody else here think Satoko is looking unhealthily skinny? I wonder if they are making sure she is eating right?

leoleo

Medalist
Does anybody else here think Satoko is looking unhealthily skinny? I wonder if they are making sure she is eating right?

no. Satoko is just naturally petite. she's actually physically strong. Have you seen her abs? It's just her natural body type, just like Scherbakova. You do know that Satoko lifts heavy weights right? :laugh:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
If you haven't already watched Rika K's spectacular FS at NHK, run watch it. That was WOW!
Congrats to her for the victory! Tge girl scored near 225 with a costly mistakes in the short program. That means 230+ if she's clean in both programs.
From now i will start to pray everyday for Mai, so skating gods will give her some luck. She would have medaled in the first 3 GP, but the girl has just enough bad luck to be in the most competitive field of these last few years.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

It's her natural body. Two years back she was even tinnier. But gained more weight and muscled. Watch her arms. She's very muscled.

christinaskater

Medalist
Rika was phenomenal.

I hope Satoko keeps her Skate America SP costume and her LP Costume from NHK trophy

- - - Updated - - -

I loved Satoko’s performance in NHK Trophy! She skated with more fire and attack. Simply exquisite. She jumped better though in Skate America.

skatenewbie

Medalist
sad for Mai that she got < calls and pop her 3T. it's gonna be hard for her to qualify even with silver in IdF. But im surprised now that home skater get advantage, we know that japan didnt do that often. I feel that in SP they tried to push Satoko to overcome Liza as #1 going into the FP but they can't in the edn. Satoko got few +3s on jump GOE and even higher than Mai/Leonova /Mariah Bell etc. But she deservedly got PCS and GOE on spin and step (lvl 3 on both SP/FS though)