2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 96 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

leoleo

Medalist
I hope the japanese girls continue to deliver at Rostelecom this week. They've been so consistent so far (with the exception of Wakaba for obvious reasons and Marin). I am very proud. I hope Yuna and Mako can have 2 clean programs again :agree:

christinaskater

Medalist
Satoko loses weight quickly , that’s why she needs to increase protein intake to build muscle. If she has better weight and muscles in her legs, her jumps will get more explosive and higher. I hope they keep doing this process.

Satoko height is now 5 feet and 1 inch

She looks taller

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I've been curious for a while about whether there was a Japanese coaching "hierarchy" or different "tiers" like fans of the Russian ladies commonly discuss. For example, a lot of people speculated that Stanislava Konstantinova got more opportunities than someone else might have, possibly because her coach has the only promising male Russian skater in Kolyada.

Are there any parallels like that with the Japanese ladies?

After all, Mie Hamada is clearly the powerhouse in terms of coaching and her ladies seem to have developed fantastic skating skills—Satoko, Marin (when she was still there), now Rika and Yuna. And she's coaching Shoma who is definitely the #2 man and will be a contender for a while. Kaori and Mai have the same coach and for a while it seemed like Mai was going to dominate—with the 4CC victory and 5th place worlds debut, but now it seems Kaori is pushing ahead. Is there a rush from Japanese girls to join these coaches?

I think it's more a matter of regions. Western regions (as Kansai and Chubu) are the most productive. Main top sksters come from Nagoya, Osaka, Kyoto (and from what i see maybe they get more favors). The only top skater from East is Wakaba who is from Tokyo. There is also the oly champ of course, but he trains in Canada since six years. There are promising juniors though.

MiraiFan

Final Flight
Her family lived in Texas, where she started skating. She was originally a clockwise skater (like me!) and when she returned to Japan, had to switch direction (rinks are too crowded, everyone is forced to skate counterclockwise), which is why she can still spin both ways. I could not imagine being force to switch, especially for jumps...

skatenewbie

Medalist
Her family lived in Texas, where she started skating. She was originally a clockwise skater (like me!) and when she returned to Japan, had to switch direction (rinks are too crowded, everyone is forced to skate counterclockwise), which is why she can still spin both ways. I could not imagine being force to switch, especially for jumps...

some people speculate that was what made her jumps small. because she's naturally a clockwise jumper but forced to change

skatenewbie

Medalist
i wonder why JSF didn't send skater to late CS that start after GP? They can send so many skater to get experience, senior eligible who do JGP like Yuhana, Nana, Tomoe, also Hongo who only have 1 GP, Yuna Shiraiwa etc.

surimi

Congrats to Sota, #10 in World Standings!
Record Breaker
^ I'm thinking it's because they're too close to Nationals?

skatenewbie

Medalist
^ I'm thinking it's because they're too close to Nationals?
the last CS which is Golden Spin start 5 December which is ~2 and half weeks before nats. Alpen Trophy just ended and is 5 weeks before nats, Tallin Trophy is a month before so its not super close...

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yuna opened a crowdfunfing for her training expenses https://mobile.twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1063054699148922880
Is she still on fed B list funding?
Marin must pay a lot of her money for her training in US. Good thing that she has sponsors.

News on Yura's injury https://mobile.twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1063076737397870593
Those who bashed her because she has two GPs while she's not doing well so far and have low tech difficulty, now you know that the girl has a serious injury and probably won't skate for a long time because she will have surgery.

Interspectator

Record Breaker
Yuna opened a crowdfunfing for her training expenses https://mobile.twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1063054699148922880
Is she still on fed B list funding?
Marin must pay a lot of her money for her training in US. Good thing that she has sponsors.

News on Yura's injury https://mobile.twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1063076737397870593
Those who bashed her because she has two GPs while she's not doing well so far and have low tech difficulty, now you know that the girl has a serious injury and probably won't skate for a long time because she will have surgery.

Yuna S. was able to reach her funding goal in 1 day. The kindness of fans for this very deserving skater gave me warm and fuzzy feelings :ghug:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
What was the amount she needed? Cannot find the gofundme

It's not on gofundme but a Japan-based webpage-host 'Actnow'
https://actnow.jp/project/figure_skate_shiraiwa/detail

The amount achieved so far is amazing. It is also reported on twitter that once the funding passes 5 million, 1% of the total funding will have to go to JSF (a regulation required by JSF).

Adding: as for Yura's injury, she said in the interview that priority for her is to get treatment and undergo surgery, and she'll have the surgery after COR. This means she may not show up at Japan National this year.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
Satoko loses weight quickly , that’s why she needs to increase protein intake to build muscle. If she has better weight and muscles in her legs, her jumps will get more explosive and higher. I hope they keep doing this process.

Satoko height is now 5 feet and 1 inch

She looks taller

It also depends how she uses that weight/muscles too - it can affect her flexibility and timing so yes and no. She is a lovely skater; reminds me a bit of Lu Chen or Yuka Sato or even kwan in respect to lyricism. But Sato had more powerful jumps. I kind of wonder how Kwan would do now? her jumps in respect to power a kind of like Miyahara's.

The bandwagon is right know with Rika but if Rika skates poorly Miyahara will be there to pick up the gold. She is the Japanese stalwart, rock. linchpin,foundation....

Globetrotter

Medalist
It also depends how she uses that weight/muscles too - it can affect her flexibility and timing so yes and no. She is a lovely skater; reminds me a bit of Lu Chen or Yuka Sato or even kwan in respect to lyricism. But Sato had more powerful jumps. I kind of wonder how Kwan would do now? her jumps in respect to power a kind of like Miyahara's.

The bandwagon is right know with Rika but if Rika skates poorly Miyahara will be there to pick up the gold. She is the Japanese stalwart, rock. linchpin,foundation....

Yuka Sato is IMO the skater with the best SS - deep edges, easy turns, such power and the ability to seemingly vary speeds and change directions at will. All done on blades that are so quiet which is why I think Yuka has the edge even over the gold standard of SS which is Patrick Chan. Satoko has the smoothness but not the power, so she is in a way like MKwan who also had lovely edges and lyricism but was not an explosive skater that could skate big, although her jumps are better. Like Kwan, Satoko is solid and consistent and dependable, so if the stars with big scoring potential like Wakaba or Rika falters, she can still be depended upon to keep things afloat and keep Japan's 3 spots at Worlds.

leoleo

Medalist
Japanese fans never fail to amaze me with how much love and support they give their skaters. I am very happy for Yuna.

leoleo

Medalist
Sofia's silver medal at Rostelecom with 198 is looking good for Kaori in case there's a tie breaker :agree:

I'm sorry for Mako tho but she got silver at skate Canada with 2 beautiful performances at her first GP it's not something to be shy about. Hopefully it was a great learning experience for her.