2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 51 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
I wonder how Kaori's SP will do this season, since she can't backload her Lutz-less program anymore. Last season, the full backloading of 4 jumps in the SP sort of equalized her BV with everyone else that had Lutzes, but she doesn't have that anymore.

tosca

On the Ice
I wonder how Kaori's SP will do this season, since she can't backload her Lutz-less program anymore. Last season, the full backloading of 4 jumps in the SP sort of equalized her BV with everyone else that had Lutzes, but she doesn't have that anymore.

I personally think that Kaori's biggest challenge has been PCS (and a correct edge on the Lutz). I had always thought that her team backloaded her programs knowing that she would need a bonus in her TES to make up for her weaker PCS. I think through the season, we saw Kaori's PCS rise with consistency as she built up a stronger reputation.

I feel like her team is purposefully choosing these softer and more internal programs to round her out. Although I enjoyed Kaori's Amelie FS, I have definitely read and heard feedback criticizing its and her lack of refinement. That is why I am especially excited for her FS to the Piano. I believe that will be a great vehicle for her to work on other aspects of her performance and skating. I am a bit worried about her SP, she needs a LOT of work on the carriage in her arms but that might be the ballet dancer in me....

Nevertheless, I think she had an amazing senior debut and this upcoming season will be important for her to rein in some of rawness of her skating especially since she has such beautiful basic skating skills.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I always thought Kaori has amazing musicality and soft but crisp edges. She might not be the most natural performer, but I do think she has really improved her performance. And her transitions are usually executed well. So I'm excited to see if her PCS improves.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
No 3lz in SP is not really a problem, as execution is more important than BV in most of cases. With her 3F-3T/3lo/2A and good GOEs she can score more in TES than girls who land 3lz-3T/ 3F/2A like Mai.

Her PCS were good last season since GPs, so i think that if she stays consistent they will definetely rise.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
It doesn't matter. Only the NHK host spot is up for grabs because Japan's maxed out on spots (3 spots x 6 events = all 18 spots)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
No spots in GP would have been a good rule. There are already very problematic spots for worlds and olympics.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Yura is getting choreography from Jeremy Abbot (good for her!) https://www.instagram.com/p/Bmjx1Pngaxj/

This explains why we didn't get further info regarding her programs earlier, and her WD-ed from 'Gen-san' competition (actually, I recalled from some skater's IG earlier that Yura might be injured. So glad that she's okay now)

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Thanks.
A bit weird that she's getting choreo only now. I thought Mihoko Higuchi already did her choreos since she's in Yamada's group.
Does someone know another program that Jeremy Abott choreographed?

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Golden Skaters,

Moving forward, it has been decided that ONLY Japanese ladies will be discussed and/or mentioned in this thread. Please refrain from bringing up skaters from other countries. Please report any posts that do not apply - DO NOT ENGAGE.

The same will also apply to other national-based threads.

Thanks!

Hi folks,

A change to the above post.

We will continue to allow folks to use other skater's names when used in a context of "stacking up" or a "mention" when needed. Please do not troll, bash, or randomly "inject" skaters' names when it is not related to the topic. Thanks!

leoleo

Medalist
Marin's FS music is Lovers from House of flying daggers! i really hope they've chosen the instrumental version, it's fantastic https://youtu.be/dbSkcvyTXEE the vocal versions i've heard are all garbage in my opinion :(
i think this would suit Marin really well! it's different from her SP too so she can show different sides of her skating

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yuhana Yokoi and Tomoe Kawabata will bebut in JGP tomorrow in Bratislava.
I hope that Yuhana will have good results and scores this season, so she will finally move to seniors with a chance to have a GP spot. A bronze at least in Bratislava is very possible.

GS Forum Staff

Record Breaker
2018-19 State of Japanese Ladies skating

Hi folks,

Just a reminder :pray:

This is a blanket statement to all national threads.

As we kick off with the JGP, please refrain from using the "State of (national)" and Fan Fest threads to discuss competitions. As always, keep competition chat in the Competition forums.

Should we find that folks are discussing competition info in these threads, they will be closed until after the competition.

Thanks!

GS Forum Staff

Last edited by a moderator: