2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 27 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I wish Rika would focus on stability with her two 3A’s instead of trying to upgrade when she hardly ever skates clean anyway...

I'm sure either would be good.

To play devil's advocate, though, if she upgrades, maybe she won't have to skate clean to win. The axel has a lot of risk to it, no matter how much she works on stability. That risk is always going to be there. If she has more leeway, pointwise, it might take some of the mental pressure off doing the axel.

iorii

On the Ice
But isn't the reason of going up senior because so she can use her 3A..? I wish she would focus on stabilizing her 3A first too.

Also, will we be hearing about Akari Matsuoka soon?

FCSSp4

Rinkside
I wish Rika would focus on stability with her two 3A’s instead of trying to upgrade when she hardly ever skates clean anyway...

I doubt she will be consistent even if she kept working on her 3As because it's such a risky jump which is why so few even attempt it. It's an on/off jump even for some top men outside of Hanyu. Even with mistakes she can get decent TES with a high enough BV instead of having to rely on always going clean which is nearly impossible with the difficulty of her layout.

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Is she preparing a quad Toe? wow I was expecting a quad salchaw since I saw her landing it fully rotated, I thought she still needs work on the quad Toe but maybe she has already landed it in practice, her layout is crazy!

yume

🍉
Record Breaker

Caustica

Final Flight
I hope that isn't Kaori's program...

It's constructed like a short program, but it would be such a disappointment after a fully-backloaded Olympic-season SP to only have 2A in the second half?! Why not put the single triple there instead...

ErgoProxy

Rinkside
It's constructed like a short program, but it would be such a disappointment after a fully-backloaded Olympic-season SP to only have 2A in the second half?! Why not put the single triple there instead...

She will change the layout if this is indeed her SP for the season, I think. It's good to see that she's experimenting with different styles.

skatenewbie

Medalist
her program can be weird. In 2016-17 season she have 1-2 SP with 3F+3T in 2nd half but in FS she do 5-2 layout, one of the most frontloaded junior top skater program. But in her senior debut she do fully backloaded SP and 2-5 layout FS which is complete opposite with her FS before

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Weird indeed.
I hope that isn't Kaori's program...
I hope too. Maybe she tried to be more mature but that just seems juniorish. It's like her James Bond girl EX.
Maybe she should do more piano or violin pieces, like moonlight sonata. She's good in that style.

Eclair

Medalist
Hmm I'm not sure I like Rika Kihara's beautiful storm program ... it sure is very artsy and unique, but I feel she kind of lacks the artistry to perfect it... It's more something I could imagine Satoko or Akiko skate to it ... Hopefully Rika's performance will improve on this one :slink: I really do look forward to see her jump though:love:

ErgoProxy

Rinkside
It would be too much to expect Rika to have Satoko's level of refinement at this stage of her career but still, I think the program has huge potential. I like that it is so daring and flashy. Following the evolution of the program throughout the season will be both exciting and scary at the same time because of the risks that are involved.

If everything goes alright with this program, she can be a serious medal contender in this upcoming season.