2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 30 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
True with Kaori

At worlds, Satoko doubled a triple as well, so she would have beat Wakaba if we're just talking about unders.

The triple doubled is the same on what she fell. Wakaba could have won even if it would have been close.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
^But we can just as easily flip that around: Satoko would have beaten Wakaba even with the the popped fall, but she didn’t, because she got “<“ calls. (And we could also just spot Wakaba her fall in the SP, too, in which case she stills wins.)

It seems more valuable to me to go by what actually happens: Satoko’s losses mostly coincide with her getting UR calls. She won Skate America over Kaori, she was 4th at the Olympics ahead of her (and behind the overwhelming medal favorites) and didn’t get calls. She lost to Mai and Kaori at 4CC, and to Wakaba at Worlds, where she got called. Saying she’s vulnerable because of her unders is spot on, IMO.

Last edited:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Yes UR calls are the biggest threat for Satoko. Clean without UR calls or just one she can beat everyone. But she doesn't have enough security points like the most inflated skaters to still win with multiple called errors. Wakaba and Kaori are the most close to her, and i think that Wakaba is the most close due to her higher potential scoring in LP. But Satoko without URs beat her because she can have higher TES (40+ in SP and 75+ in FS) and PCS (+2-3 points in SP and +2 points in FS over Wakaba). While Wakaba most of the time get 39 TES at best in SP (because of her 3F!) and 74 TES in FS. So with an UR call in SP she can still closely ahead. Two URs in FS Wakaba can closely beat her. I think 3 URs calls in one competition are enough to make her vulnerable, and allow Wakaba and maybe Kaori to win.
Now with the new season some things can change. She can get more PCS and it will save her.
Or unfortunately for her Wakaba and Kaori can improve their TES and PCS.

macy

Record Breaker
IMO i think the new GOE scale will only hinder satoko...IF judged fairly and correctly kaori and wakaba should both always have higher GOE when jumps are landed cleanly. unless judges are generous to her i don't really see her getting anything higher than a +3 for a clean jump. wakaba and kaori both have +4 and +5 potential.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Just poor Wakaba.

The most surprising, Yura getting two spots. I thought the fed would give two to Rika Hongo.

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
A joke, as usual, thanks JSF.

Wakaba the worst, they do love her so and care about their silver medalist.
And Rika one spot but both Mako and Yura two spots. Ah Nagoya, Nagoya :palmf:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I think Rika Kihira will get NHK host pick. Mako totally deserve two spots, totally.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker
A joke, as usual, thanks JSF.

Wakaba the worst, they do love her so and care about their silver medalist.
And Rika one spot but both Mako and Yura two spots. Ah Nagoya, Nagoya :palmf:

Wakaba got lowballed hard. I’m so mad on her behalf honestly. They could have at least given her one easier GP.

breadstal

Record Breaker
I think Rika got one spot seeing that she was outside top 24 seasons bests and ranking internationally, also her placement at junior worlds.

I understand why she's not there, it's just a shame though bc she's dark horse of next season but like yume said, hopefully she will get NHK spot :hap10:

Yatagarasu

Record Breaker
Wakaba got lowballed hard. I’m so mad on her behalf honestly. They could have at least given her one easier GP.

They simply couldn't care less about her. At this point, I've given up, it is what it is, and she'll give it her best I am sure.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
They simply couldn't care less about her. At this point, I've given up, it is what it is, and she'll give it her best I am sure.

Just try to imagine what skate Canada will look like, just imagine..........
And poor Mako, her debut in GP series will be in hell.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I hope Rika gets the NHK spot! I know last season was far from perfect but you gotta give the girl a chance! And if you gave Yura two spots why not give Rika two as well??
I’m not sure what to think of the rest...
I’m curious to see how Satoko will do under the new GOE scale and new rules...It shouldn’t be good for her but god knows what will happen.

yoloaxel

Record Breaker

She has so much potential and can probably add a 3A. I saw her live in Milan and she was simply amazing! Why don’t they support her at all :( I mean I love Satoko but Wakaba is so so so good and she keeps getting cast aside.

I’m sure she will give her 120%

RafaelAstro

Final Flight
Yessss Yuna Shiraiwa has a spot :D, Rika Kihira has only one! D: why????? D':, Yura Matsuda with two spots? what???. Poor Wakaba and Mako, they will go to Skate Canada :( judges will be so rude with them. Well at least they used all the posible spots, but I would had prefer Yuna Shiraiwa or Rika Hongo with two spots rather than Yura Matsuda, and I hope they give NHK's spot to Rika Kihira :/

tars

Record Breaker
Marin doesn't have to travel far for her first GP and has time to rest, which was not the case last year. :clap:

JSF finally appreciated it's greatest asset in GP assignments! Go Marin! :cheer2: