2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 58 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
That's my hope as well. Nana is my favorite Japanese junior and I loved her FS last year and I looove her lutz.

If this is a strategic move on JSF's part, maybe they hope she'll place better at the later JGPs, i.e. away from (potential) quad-sters? Though I am not sure if JSF thinks that strategically... they're welcome to prove me wrong though!

I wouldn't put so much faith in JSF. Anyway there will be only one JGP without the quadsters. Which will be likely the last.

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Re. Nana's situation, it is reported on twitter (quoting a certain native English FS sports reporter working for JT) that the WD is not injury related but due to illness. Hope she'll get well soon!

leoleo

Medalist
Glad to hear that Nana isn't injured. I hope she can be well on time to compete.

Next week we'll see Kaori & Mako at Lombardia, Satoko & Yuna at US intl classic. I am so excited. Glad it's happening the week before i'm back to college. I can enjoy streaming a few last competitions before anxiety hits me again lol

mermaidfestavol3

On the Ice
I have to admit I am the most excited for Satoko's performance at US Classic. She seemed to have more speed and power during the summer ice shows so I really hope she can carry that energy into the season. She really was on an upward trend up to the 2016-17 GPF where she had beautiful programs, but inevitably the jumps got a little smaller and less confident after her injury. So I really hope she can get back that momentum she had 2 seasons ago now. I think another interesting showdown could be at Nebelhorn, where we will see Mai and Marin. Mai of course had greater consistency and better technical content than Marin in the past season, but Marin will have the new coaching experience behind her. So exciting in the senior field!

tsuyoboogie

"Dedicate your heart" & Slay like an Ackerman
Record Breaker
So, are there any competitions happening for super spinner Akari Matsuoka??

I believe Akari is recovering from injury. She was originally scheduled to compete at Aqua Cup (end of June) and Kanto Summer Trophy (mid August) but withdrew from both competitions.
She did end up skating her SP at Tokyo Summer Games (end of August) but only attempted single jumps (A?, 1Lz-1T, 1F) during her program. She placed 15th and didn't qualify for the FS.
According to reports (confirmed by protocols), she's still able to execute her spins with no problem.

leoleo

Medalist
Have you guys seen this new footage of Rika practicing her FS? https://youtu.be/6OhmJx0m6FA
It seems they've changed the program a bit and it looks so good. She seems to have completely adopted it. Her 3A is so beautiful :luv17: I've already said before that among all the programs that have been revealed during summer, her FS is the most interesting to me. I'm so excited to see it in competition. If it has gotten this more fluid since FAOI then imagine how beautiful it'll be in competition?

ioanna

Record Breaker
News from Team Hamada, who had an open practice day today

Yuna Shiraiwa said her number one goal for the season is to medal at nationals. She’s continuing to work on her 3Lz3Lo combo, which she hopes to put in her free skate.
https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1037978554170916864

Rika Kihira said she plans to put two 3A in her free skate and avoid using any quads for now. She can land 4T but wants to get it perfect before putting it in her program.
https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1037979487097446401

Satoko Miyahara said this is a season to reset and start from zero. She wants to challenge herself. She said she wants to skate her short program like a movie star. She’s been able to practice a lot this off season. A different article confirmed that her injury is fully healed.
https://twitter.com/figureskatingm1/status/1037983042080370688

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Just adding some information: as the entries to all regional competitions (under National competitions) in Japan have been published earlier today, the discussion thread to each regional competitions have been set up under Forum: 2018-19 Japanese National Figure Skating Championships. Please feel free to check those up if there's any question re. regional competitions. (NB: so far the entry list is only in Japanese and if anyone is interested in offering a compete list in English please feel free to do so!)

leoleo

Medalist
I'm glad Rika has her head in the right place. She needs to take in the atmosphere of senior field, try to be as consistent as she can with multiple 3As before she tries to add the quad. It's already impressive that she can land it tbh! That girl is fearless when it comes to jumps. I don't understand how she always loses confidence before competitions ends up messing up. You can see just when she bolts into the 3A that she's not scared at all.
A tumblr appreciation post of how much her 3A attempts have improved :luv17:
https://jumpitwithashuulanditwithapa.tumblr.com/post/177620671268/but-in-a-situation-where-most-skaters-dont-jump

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
It all sounds so positive.It should be exciting. But deep down I am sure there is some anxiety. Right now they ownthe p odium atworlds in the absence of Osmond - not that the Russian ladies won't challenge. But Japan h as it all - jumpers with beautiful skating. Satoko is solid and if she increases her amplitudes she could win it all. as for Rika depending on what you read the 3A - just how so lid is it. I have heard the attempts are looking a lot better - that doesn't mean she is landing it all that often.

leoleo

Medalist
English translation of Rika's latest interview

Figure skaters Miyahara Satoko (20), Shiraiwa Yuna (16) and Kihira Rika (16) held an open practice session on the 7th at their home rink in Kansai University’s Takatsuki Ice Arena.

Kihira, who is in her first senior year, has her first competition of the season at the Ondrej Nepela Trophy (19th-22nd, Slovakia). She plans to include two 3A in her free skate and said “[It’s] steady, and is becoming a tool [in my competitions]”.

On the other hand, she is moving towards avoiding the quad jump. Although during practice in the off season [Kihira] successfully landed, in particular, the 4T many times, Coach Hamada Mie instructions were [to avoid the quad] “In order not to make mistakes in the other jumps. The goal is to consolidate [efforts] towards landing the 3A”. Kihira too said that “I want to include (the quad jump) after it becomes more perfect”.

Having said that, [with regards to] the increase in the numbers of overseas athletes landing jumps of high difficult, Kihira said “I would like to match up [my abilities] with them at the Beijing (Olympics)”. With the grand stage of 2022 in mind, she is progressing in her long term challenge.

Additionally, Coach Hamada indicated this season’s lesson - “For this season, I have said [to her] ‘Do not make excuses’. No matter the circumstance, a capable person will be able to do [their task]. It is not the good skater, but rather, the strong skater who will win so, I hope [you] become strong”, she said, expressing her expectations for [Kihira’s] mentality as she matures.

https://rika-kihira.tumblr.com/post/177835312415/kihira-rika-on-the-3a-and-quads

skatenewbie

Medalist
So is there a possibility for a Japanese skater to go to JGPF this year?
so far only Shiika Yoshioka that medaled, she got bronze but her total score is only 169... she need atleast silver. Nana have a chance too, let's see how she does in Ostrava

Amef

Final Flight
so far only Shiika Yoshioka that medaled, she got bronze but her total score is only 169... she need atleast silver. Nana have a chance too, let's see how she does in Ostrava
Cool. So when will the entries for the last JGP be announced? It was empty this morning on the ISU website.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
So is there a possibility for a Japanese skater to go to JGPF this year?

Not really. Like i previously said, this season Japaneses can hardly compete with Russians and Koreans.
Last hope can be Nana Araki as her potential scoring is not bad. But it will depend of who will be against her and their performances.
Yuna Aoki maybe too, since she has a 3lz-3lo. She can score well in SP at least.