2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 61 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

Reddi

Rinkside
Wakaba Higuchi, most of the times they competed together. Lombardia, CoC and Worlds. And most of the times, she was still held back in pcs.

Wakaba's tech content is considerably easier so her tes was generally lower but her pcs most of the time were higher than Alina's. Despite the big difference in program comlexity - Wakaba had A TON of crossovers.
Including the competition that you've mentioned. I guess in your mind she had to recieve pcs big (for what exactly?)enough to overpower Alina's technique which is ridiculous.

So... absoluety not better, not stronger with her content and program composition. Definitely no more "artristry" with her amount of choreography. Cleaner? Huh, I'll call a it tie.

Reddi

Rinkside
A tie of course. Falls are no big deal.
Ok. There is no reputation game going on in figure skating, the russians are never overscored and Alina was always better than Wakaba with her junior free program that used to score lower pcs than Wakaba's in the beggining of last season and ended up scoring Kostner's like pcs in the end, with almost a 10 points increase.
Sotnikova deserved to win Socchi with higher pcs than Kostner and same as Yuna Kim.
Medvedeva had a beautiful lutz last season, deserved her +2s and +3s
Alina's junior programs deserved at least 9 for every component.
The judges don't play the reputation game.
Everything is right with figure skating scoring. Favorites are not held up.
Delusion: convince yourself.

Delusion indeed.
So you've made a bold statement that even if japanese girls are better, stronger, and "more artistic" they will always be held back
I asked you for an example for a japanese girl who stood a chance against Alina last season.
That all I saked for: a detailed ANALYSIS why do you think that Wakaba or enyone else HAD to have a better score. What's her claim for much higher PCS? Where is this grand "superiority" lies? In what particular criterion?
And what I got in return?
1. Zero reasonable arguments related to initial question.
2. Grand statements about things I never even said to begin with (everything being right with the judjement, some urelated Zhenya/Yuna/Adelina garbage)
3. Some ridiculuous complaints about PCS being rised since juniors? First: junior PCS are almost always actually held back. Second: the differense between senior DQ and junior DQ is HUGE. Hell, even the difference between autumn and winter DQ was big. Why do junior pcs is even an argument???? God...

Ok I'll put it simpe enough for you: don't you dare to blindly and hatefully devalue russian girls achievements on the base of them being russian. Your precious girl Wakaba rightfully got her silver when she was better at the Worlds. Other times? Eh sorry but she just wasn't all that great.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Name one japanese girl who was cleaner, better, stronger and had "much more artistry" than Alina last season?

I think Wakaba is equal to Alina last season. I would call COC a draw between them- an arguement can be made for either winning. The GPF goes to Alina and Worlds to Wakaba.

Basically they are both excellent skaters with very different styles. I would not call one significantly superior to the other.

Reddi

Rinkside
I think Wakaba is equal to Alina last season. I would call COC a draw between them- an arguement can be made for either winning. The GPF goes to Alina and Worlds to Wakaba.

Basically they are both excellent skaters with very different styles. I would not call one significantly superior to the other.

There's one simple way to answer this question: swap their content. Jumps, layout, footwork. How do you think this experiment will end?

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
There's one simple way to answer this question: swap their content. Jumps, layout, footwork. How do you think this experiment will end?

If it was always just base value then one skater would always win. You have to consistently skate that content to it's potential. Alina's content is impressive, and she deserves a lot of praise for her talent, but it isn't the only thing. Sometimes, as seen at World's, that strategy backfires.

As this is the Japanese ladies thread we should probably take discussing the Russian ladies elsewhere.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
i really think the Japanese ladies re going to be a threat - led by Satoko and Wakaba but really they are deep in talent and generally are more artisitc. Japan has distinguished itself at this time as one of the two power countries - I won't include the US right now. It will be interesting to see who the JSF deems as the no. 1 lady

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
i really think the Japanese ladies re going to be a threat - led by Satoko and Wakaba but really they are deep in talent and generally are more artisitc. Japan has distinguished itself at this time as one of the two power countries - I won't include the US right now. It will be interesting to see who the JSF deems as the no. 1 lady

I'm curious to see how Satoko's jumps will be graded with the new GOE range. She could really be held back compared to her countrywomen with stronger jumps.

leoleo

Medalist
/I'll just avoid the russian vs japanese girls conversation and stay on topic/

I find that Kaori's new fs looks a lot like her last season's FS :think: I don't know how to feel about that.

I hope Wakaba's FS will be ready for next week (even tho i don't expect anybody to be perfect there, it's so early). I'm pretty curious to see what her SP will look like since it's such an unusual music choice.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Congrats to Mako. Good season debut so far, as she medaled at her 3 first competitions.
The strength of this girl is that she never has total meldtowns.

gossipcow

Rinkside
Congratulations to Mako on the medal and glad Kaori was able to bounce back from the rough SP. I am not sure if I like this year's FS more or last year's - even with the awkward robot arms, I thought her Amelie program really captured her bright energy and highlighted her speed and power.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
I am not entirely sold on Kaori’s programs this year- I think I need to see them again.

kalee

On the Ice
Seems a pity if Rion has to go into Yerevan with Nana... which would deprive both Tomoe and Yuhana of a 2nd JGP.
Since Moa and Yuna only scored 153 and 154 respectively, wonder if Tomoe and Rion could replace them in Ljubljana, leaving a spot in Yerevan for Yuhana?

leoleo

Medalist
i don't think we're allowed to talk about it here yet! 100% sure they'll delete everything soon :rolleye: men fs and ice dance isn't over yet!

I really really hope JSF is gonna send Tomoe & Yuhana to compete again. The final is obviously going to be all russian anyway so they have nothing to lose! i just want to see my favorite japanese juniors compete again this season :pray:

cohkaix

FS data keeper
Medalist
Sora MAENO is also on the list...Not sure if JSF will send her...

So far it is for sure that:
-Nana will take a spot from the remaining 6, and her 2nd spot will depend on her results from JGP Ostrava
-Shiika and Rion will each take a sport from the remaining 6 (So Shiika to JGP Ostrava probably won't get changed, and thus she'll be exempted from Kanto Regional; Rion's assignment to Yerevan is most likely fixed also)
- We're not sure about JGP Ljubljana then, yes, there's a possibility that Sora Maeno could be assigned to one of them (but I don't think she's been to any of the summer competitions, as she WD-ed from Gen-san ST earlier)