2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 63 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
I guess I have to be the detractor here; i think Satoko's FS is a little bizarre. Music cuts are strange, especially the ending. Not a fan. I think her SP is amazing though, almost as good as the memoirs of a geisha program. I really want to see her work more on her jumps. She's such a great skater to watch, so I really don't want to see this jewel of a skater get squeezed out by the other Japanese talent because of URs. Under-rotating 3 triples in one short program is disastrous.

Side note: Wakaba last minute decided to use Vivaldi: Winter even tho Satoko is using it? :slink:

leoleo

Medalist
On the contrary i found that Satoko's new SP was just ok compared to the amazing SPs she's had in the past. It's not bad, it just doesn't leave much impression.

Nika09

On the Ice
Want to add here as well, how I appreciate Satoko Miyahara and her skating. Both of her programs are stunning (surprised to see it's unpopular opinion here though), as she herself every time when she taking the ice. Beauty, elegance and passion! Congrats with the amazing debut and good luck for the rest of season! I wasn't Satoko's fan at all few seasons ago, and now i wouldn't want to now that me :handw:

Side note: Wakaba last minute decided to use Vivaldi: Winter even tho Satoko is using it? :slink:

It's just few seconds of Vivaldi in Satoko's program, and those are with different instrumental performance. I wouldn't call her FP standard "Four Seasons" program, like not at all. It's some other stuff, absolute gorgeous one! So don't think gonna be any controversy here :)

combinationspin

On the Ice
I thought that Yuna Shiraiwa was really very lovely. Love the music choice and I'm glad I watched her performance even though the score was so low. Really, I thought the tech calls were a bit harsh but this program is really nice, I think it has a lot of potential that we didn't get to see last season.

Obviously Satoko was amazing as well; congrats on the win! Indeed it was a rough start but she did get into the flow of things. This program is so sharp and mature, and I think the drama of it will really register well later on in the season. I think her 2A is really improved, at least the most noticeably. Her first 2A+3T was really quite high and nice, and the 3F has obviously improved to the point where she's confident to attach a combo to it.

I really came to appreciate Yuna S.’s Lp - beautiful choreo and music cuts. Her skating was wonderfully smooth and emotive. The tech calls (all triples UR except the final loop :unsure:) were totally unfair imo.

Satoko LP is so mature and complex - I think she’s the only female skater right now to pull off such a caliber of interpretation.

If I were in Mie Hamada’s shoes, I’d left this competition with many question marks regarding the inconsistent tech calls for Yuna and Satoko, though.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
Thank you for the information. I was checking her wiki and found under both US Classic and Nebelhorn, the mark was TBD, so I thought she was originally entered.

Marin was never assigned to US classic to begin with and she's been assigned to Nebelhorn for CS. I think it has to do with that since she's not invited to JO, there's no better way to void her from regional competition (Marin has made a change of her club to JAL and thus should compete in Tokyo regional), other than sending her to a CS competition near Tokyo regional. And the choices include either Nebelhorn or Finlandia.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
I know that Satoko planned a 3lz-3 T in the free but she should really go for two 2A-3T. She got more height on 2A, the 3T was already high, so well executed it's her highest jumping pass, with the most distance too. I can see her get at least +3 for that. But if she does the 3-3 combo it can be called UR at last half of the time. Maybe she count on the generosity of some TPs, as she didn't receive a single UR call in the free skate (while others got a shower of Ur calls). That free program deserve high components though. It will rightfully score 70-75 in GP i think. I prefer the dress of THE ICE though. That new dress is a bit weird and not enough WOW.

How hard Yuna get dinged sometimes surprise me. She is lovely and her jumps are not bad. If only she could rotate faster.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Well, I guess we've seen that Satoko still gets huge scores even with the new GOE range :laugh:
Good for her I guess :biggrin:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
If we include the points she lost on TES and assuming that for a clean skate she woukd have get 70 PCS at least, i think her free skate score would have been 142-144 if her program was clean. So my conclusion is that Satoko will always be in the 140-145 zone at least for a FS without UR calls. 150 is even possible if her PCS improve close to 75.
I had said that Satoko would be fine in the new system.

mikeko666

Final Flight
I know that Satoko planned a 3lz-3 T in the free but she should really go for two 2A-3T. She got more height on 2A, the 3T was already high, so well executed it's her highest jumping pass, with the most distance too. I can see her get at least +3 for that. But if she does the 3-3 combo it can be called UR at last half of the time. Maybe she count on the generosity of some TPs, as she didn't receive a single UR call in the free skate (while others got a shower of Ur calls). That free program deserve high components though. It will rightfully score 70-75 in GP i think. I prefer the dress of THE ICE though. That new dress is a bit weird and not enough WOW.

She can avoid 3Lz-3T in FS, but not in SP, though.

In the end, the new GOE system doesn't matter for her if TP is super generous only for her, like at Nat last year. She may even receive comparable GOEs as Kaori or Wakaba on jumps.

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
If we include the points she lost on TES and assuming that for a clean skate she woukd have get 70 PCS at least, i think her free skate score would have been 142-144 if her program was clean. So my conclusion is that Satoko will always be in the 140-145 zone at least for a FS without UR calls. 150 is even possible if her PCS improve close to 75.
I had said that Satoko would be fine in the new system.

But what does 140-145 zone mean in the new system? Even Tuktamysheva was in that zone at Lombardia, and she's hardly the target.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
But what does 140-145 zone mean in the new system? Even Tuktamysheva was in that zone at Lombardia, and she's hardly the target.

The thing is, i don't think dozen of girls will get a score in that zone, at least not consistently and since the start of the season.
Lombardia's scoring history shows that we should not trust his scores. I doubt that Tukt will get that score for the same performance in Finlandia trophy.
Anyway, Satoko's scores in the previous system didn't allow her to beat skaters with top scores when those are clean, and her scores in the new system won't allow her to win either. But she can still win against those whoe receive medium PCS and GOEs, so most of the girls, and so other Japanese girls.

charlotte14

Medalist
Satoko will never get away with the UR. They will call her jumps when the skaters they prefer are in danger and ignore her jumps when it’s convenient for them. Nothing will change.

leoleo

Medalist
Satoko will never get away with the UR. They will call her jumps when the skaters they prefer are in danger and ignore her jumps when it’s convenient for them. Nothing will change.

yeah, the new judging system hasn't changed exactly as i expected. I guess we'll also see flutzes & lips ignored later in the season as usual. Honestly i'd rather see her get UR calls but receive adequate PCS scores than see URs ignored and pcs score stagnate. Her getting under 70 in pcs is quite shocking honestly seeing how many others who aren't particularly doing more can easily get 70+ :drama: But then some others get both poor jumping technique ignored + pcs boosted anyway so this is where figure skating is now :confused2:

skatenewbie

Medalist
im kind of disappointed with how flutz is ignored as usual. But i think they are kind of stricter in lip calls or at least giving ! to a flip jump. Example Kaori flutz got 1.53 GOE in Lombardia, last season she got called e twice...

leoleo

Medalist
im kind of disappointed with how flutz is ignored as usual. But i think they are kind of stricter in lip calls or at least giving ! to a flip jump. Example Kaori flutz got 1.53 GOE in Lombardia, last season she got called e twice...

Yeah, i have no idea what kind of drugs the isu judges are taking, it's just ridiculous. They're so inconsistent with the way they score. if you want to be strict with edge calls, be strict for real and punish every skater instead of doing this "oh if i'm in a good mood everybody gets a positive goe but if not i'll call whoever i don't like" mess they usually do! it's so frustrating.
I hope wakaba isn't going to use her flip in the SP cause that would not favor her at all. She can't get away with a ! call in the SP. That would cost her too many points. She could get really good GOE if the had the loop instead.

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
That stubborn child still has a flip in her SP this season.

TPs call things when it convenient for them. Last season you couldn't know that Kaori has a flutz if you didn't look close, as the girl almost never got calls all the season. Then at olympics she got a call, to finish behind Kostner.

mikeko666

Final Flight

TPs call things when it convenient for them. Last season you couldn't know that Kaori has a flutz if you didn't look close, as the girl almost never got calls all the season. Then at olympics she got a call, to finish behind Kostner.

Kostner receives 9+ TR for her empty transitions anyway.

ioanna

Record Breaker
I wouldn't call Wakaba a stubborn child for deciding to keep the flip in the SP. For whatever reason, ISU has decided to devaluate the loop this season; so if the base value was closer to the flip before (5.10), now it's lower (4.90). This is why Satoko put it back in the SP. They just want to maximize their scoring potential.

skatenewbie

Medalist

she did get called an e in CoR beside Oly's and ! in challenger or Jpn nats i forgot , and she actually flutzed so its not like she was only get called so she can place below Kostner... her's was obvious though? she go from outside to CLEAR inside, even clearer than Yuna Kim Flip.

I wouldn't call Wakaba a stubborn child for deciding to keep the flip in the SP. For whatever reason, ISU has decided to devaluate the loop this season; so if the base value was closer to the flip before (5.10), now it's lower (4.90). This is why Satoko put it back in the SP. They just want to maximize their scoring potential.
the thing is.. Wakaba got negative GOE because of ! call or only like 0/+1 at most... while with loop she can have +3 and taking more than 1 point extra. so imagine with 3F! she got 0.10 GOE so total is 5.40 while with 3Lo she got 1.00 so total is 5.90.