2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating | Page 66 | Golden Skate

2018-19 Japanese Ladies' figure skating

xeyra

Constant state
Record Breaker
Congrats on the WR Free Skate score, Rika! Plus those amazing 3As and your first international senior gold (one of hopefully more to come).

gsk8

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Here is a short video we were able to get from Rika, but we didn't have a translator at the time so it's only in Japanese. :)

leoleo

Medalist
Is it too wishful to see Rika as a possibility for GPF, 4C, and Worlds gold right now?! Because if she keeps skating like that it’s possible :)

if she keeps skating like this is the important point. I think we're all getting excited cause most strong competitors had a hard debut in the challengers so far and she skated the cleanest but things could go very differently later in the season. I am praying she stays focused, confident, healthy and she could ver much shake the major competitions podiums this season :hap10:

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Is it too wishful to see Rika as a possibility for GPF, 4C, and Worlds gold right now?! Because if she keeps skating like that it’s possible :)

Yes if she keeps skating like that. The key events of December will a good test for her nerves or shape. I'm a little worried when a skater start the season so strongly. We've seen Wakaba being the strongest Japanese in challengers and GPs (the girl made just one mistake before GPF) but make costly mistakes when she shouldn't have.

rikaquegira

On the Ice
I rewatched Rika’s performance and I have to say, she can do much better!
Not only for her technical mistakes, but also her performance. They changed the choreography and I felt like she wasn’t as sure in her steps as usual because of that + some nerves. It was a very strong performance, no doubt! But it can be improved and I’m sure she and her team are thinking the same.
I also have to say, she was underscored!
Is it coincidence judges 1 and 2 gave her the lowest GOEs and PCS? Highly doubt it! 🤦*♀️

yume

🍉
Record Breaker
Speaking of Wakaba, i hope that she will FINALLY ditch the 3F in SP. I said that she would get an "e" in Canada and she did. She will get a "e" again at Skate Canada if she has the flip.
I hope she will go to regionals (if she's healthy) to get comfortable with her programs before GPs.
Honestly i'm disappointed by energia. I thought the choreo would be more creative. Or maybe it was the performance that gave me a bad impression. And i hope that she will change the dress because it reminds me Wakabond. But her FS has a lot of potential.

Honestly i'm disappointed by energia. I thought the choreo would be more creative. Or maybe it was the performance that gave me a bad impression.

The choreo is just OK (needing more creativity is right), but I think she needs more pop, and, well, energy. She could sell it on performance at least.

ArenaWings

On the Ice
I love Wakaba's SP costume! It's so special and avant-garde. and works with the program too!
I just hope that she moves a little faster across the ice :luv17:

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Apologies in advance because I'm sure this has been answered many times before, but is Rika old enough to attend Senior Worlds in 2019?

leoleo

Medalist
Apologies in advance because I'm sure this has been answered many times before, but is Rika old enough to attend Senior Worlds in 2019?

yes. She turned 16 in july :agree: she will go if she qualifies.

@Rikaquegira i agree with you. Her performance was already fantastic but she can do even better than this. Looking at how much the program improved since The Ice (i'm seriously mind blown by the improvements), if she keeps working hard she could seriously blow our minds by the time she competes at NHK & IDF. OMG i'm seeing her at IDF in november, i'm so excited. I need to think of what plushie to buy her :drama:

rikaquegira

On the Ice
yes. She turned 16 in july :agree: she will go if she qualifies.

@Rikaquegira i agree with you. Her performance was already fantastic but she can do even better than this. Looking at how much the program improved since The Ice (i'm seriously mind blown by the improvements), if she keeps working hard she could seriously blow our minds by the time she competes at NHK & IDF. OMG i'm seeing her at IDF in november, i'm so excited. I need to think of what plushie to buy her :drama:

OMG I’m so jealous of you! [emoji23]
I am currently planning a trip to Beijing 2022. I’m calculating if it is actually possible for me, financially speaking... [emoji23]
I hope she’s still performing on this level when the next Olympics comes. It’s difficult to predict into the far future like that, anything could happen, but she could be a top contender! [emoji120]

She’s improving so much! I cannot believe! Did you notice the new entry and exit to the 3F??? And the exit of the 3A?? And the 3S??? She’s adding some complicated transitions! And you can see she’s struggling with it a little bit, trying to keep the jumps perfect. There’s still basically no transitions between the first and second jumping pass. I’m not expecting her to have a super busy program right away but after seeing how much she improved and how much they worked on her FS I’m confident next season the level of difficulty of her programs will be even higher.
Honestly I don’t see how her PCS will not rise to the skies if she skates clean and win some GPs along the way. By the time of Worlds she could really be a favorite for Gold!

TryMeLater

On the Ice

I'm waiting for someone in the skating world to decide that her PCS should be terrible, just like they did to Midori Ito.
Hopefully, that won't happen again.

cohen-esque

Final Flight
I'm waiting for someone in the skating world to decide that her PCS should be terrible, just like they did to Midori Ito.
Hopefully, that won't happen again.
Lol, Midori got some 6.0s for presentation back in the day. Plus the judges love the big jumps these days more than they did back then.

DenissVFan

Medalist
Rika did great! I have a soft spot for the ladies with the triple axel.

I hope that Wakaba's next outing is more successful. She's an amazing skater and her new programmes are both promising.