2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 290 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

natsulian

Final Flight
Isabelle has started to jump the 4T off the harness, but only a few times though. Check out her Instagram Story. Calista said her first Pairs competition will not be for awhile because she and her partner do not want to rush things and possibly injure themselves. They are practicing everyday alongside their singles practices.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Isabelle has started to jump the 4T off the harness, but only a few times though. Check out her Instagram Story. Calista said her first Pairs competition will not be for awhile because she and her partner do not want to rush things and possibly injure themselves. They are practicing everyday alongside their singles practices.

What's her instagram?

tothepointe

On the Ice
Mirai had one clean, rotated 3A in competition. That's not consistent. And her other elements remained inconsistent, and her spins and PCS suffered as well.

Granted, that one clean, rotated 3A happened at the perfect moment - team event at the Olympics - with a clean program. It definitely paid off for her career and ability to make a name for herself outside of skating.

Mirai made the World and Olympic team, but she was never really able rise in the ranks internationally, in large part due to her inconsistency. Rising within your own country doesn't always mean rising internationally.

Should Bradie and Mariah focus on trying to beat Alysa at Nationals with quads and 3As? Or should they focus on putting out clean, solid performances on the GP to increase their credibility in front of international judges? They are extremely unlikely to be able to do both, since putting 3As and quads in their programs on the GP to prepare for Nationals means that those programs are likely to be messy.

It paid off because she walked away with an Olympic medal. Sometimes in life your never going to be incontention for the biggest prize. So you figure out what you CAN do to get something that is at least a little big meaningful to yourself.

andromache

Record Breaker
It paid off because she walked away with an Olympic medal. Sometimes in life your never going to be incontention for the biggest prize. So you figure out what you CAN do to get something that is at least a little big meaningful to yourself.

Good point! I forget about the team medals, honestly. So...are Bradie/Mariah going to be more focused on their international competition, or their competition with Alysa Liu at Nationals? (That is where this whole discourse started from.) Of course, they're going to focus on doing both - but is it more important for them to be able to beat the girls with consistent 3-3s, level 4s, etc. at the international level? Or to risk their consistency to beat the girl with a 3A and 4Lz at Nationals? High risk, high reward.

Well, then even inconsistent, upping her difficulty was totally worth it.

(Actually, the jump was pretty consistent. She landed a higher percentage in warm-ups & practices than possibly any lady I've seen. It's just that she has competition nerves, and they tend to creep into her performances no matter what content she is doing. Hence, when she upped her difficulty, the results were better.).

I agree that the jump was very impressive/consistent in practices. But that doesn't really matter when it comes to consistency in competition.

macy

Record Breaker
Hannah Miller shared today she has been taking a break from training and has taken on a few students. She still skates every week but has found she loves choreographing- I personally think she would be great at this. She is focusing on her remaining studies at MSU and is planning on going to grad school. She is unsure whether or not she will compete again but hasn't ruled out the possibility.

Whatever she decides to do she is the best figure skater to come out of mid Michigan and she has A LOT to be proud of!!

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
I agree that the jump was very impressive/consistent in practices. But that doesn't really matter when it comes to consistency in competition.

Nope. It matters that she rotated it, though, during the moments when she needed to. And that she got the tech points from doing so in order to outscore Ashley, Mariah, Karen, Gabby, and Carolina Kostner when she darn well needed to get those points. For the three seasons before that, Mirai did not have those points at Nationals.

tothepointe

On the Ice
Good point! I forget about the team medals, honestly. So...are Bradie/Mariah going to be more focused on their international competition, or their competition with Alysa Liu at Nationals? (That is where this whole discourse started from.) Of course, they're going to focus on doing both - but is it more important for them to be able to beat the girls with consistent 3-3s, level 4s, etc. at the international level? Or to risk their consistency to beat the girl with a 3A and 4Lz at Nationals? High risk, high reward.

I don't think there is much to be gained by trying to compete with Alysa on the domestic level. At least for this season they will only meet in competition for nationals only.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
I don't think there is much to be gained by trying to compete with Alysa on the domestic level. At least for this season they will only meet in competition for nationals only.

And I don't want to be a pessimist, but I worry about Alysa when she starts to grow. I think it's okay to say her axel technique will likely not hold up once she grows. I'd actually like her to work on her axel starting at a single to double, to get UP in the air. She might be able to hold onto that technique at 15 and eke it out for Olympics, but I'm not very optimistic about it. She has everything else going for her, and I am a huge fan (I couldn't say this in FF because I'd probably get an infraction for being negative...) I WANT her to succeed, she's adorable, determined, musical, great spins. But really, I am scared of her axel technique. And the quads? I think once she grows her quads might still be there. It's just I've followed skating for nearly forty years, I appreciate her accomplishments at 12/13 and if that's where they end, well, she was best in the country. It's not a 'dis', who can say they ever were best in their country at something. I don't know, I'm just enjoying her performances today and enjoying her success. If she grows too much, it's not a failure, she will always be national champion.

andromache

Record Breaker
And I don't want to be a pessimist, but I worry about Alysa when she starts to grow. I think it's okay to say her axel technique will likely not hold up once she grows. I'd actually like her to work on her axel starting at a single to double, to get UP in the air. She might be able to hold onto that technique at 15 and eke it out for Olympics, but I'm not very optimistic about it. She has everything else going for her, and I am a huge fan (I couldn't say this in FF because I'd probably get an infraction for being negative...) I WANT her to succeed, she's adorable, determined, musical, great spins. But really, I am scared of her axel technique. And the quads? I think once she grows her quads might still be there. It's just I've followed skating for forty plus years, I appreciate her accomplishments at 12/13 and if that's where they end, well, she was best in the country. It's not a 'dis', who can say they ever were best in their country at something. I don't know, I'm just enjoying her performances today and enjoying her success.

I think she might be able to do a 2A after she grows, just because her 3A means she has really worked on that technique. But her other triples are very small and seem eked out to me. I doubt she will survive puberty. But she could be perfectly timed for 2022 if she stays healthy.

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Questions about the US ladies as the season is about to begin:

*Will Alysa make the jgp Final? Who will her competition be at her two events? What if she ends up with a bronze and a silver and barely misses out?

*Will Bradie be adding the tano and rippon features to her jumps? Or find another way to up her technical content?

*Will Hanna Harrell turn senior? With the lack of many stars in the US seniors this year, she could get the Skate America host pick.

*Can Mariah learn to do a reliable 3-3 combination? Will she attempt a 3A?

*Can top-10-at-nationals finishers Amber and Meagan step it up?

*Will Starr revert back to the 3sal-3toe with rippon arms that she used to do in her junior days, in order to up her technical content?

Hannah Miller shared today she has been taking a break from training and has taken on a few students. She still skates every week but has found she loves choreographing- I personally think she would be great at this. She is focusing on her remaining studies at MSU and is planning on going to grad school. She is unsure whether or not she will compete again but hasn't ruled out the possibility.

Whatever she decides to do she is the best figure skater to come out of mid Michigan and she has A LOT to be proud of!!

:rock:

Another good skater from Lansing is Madison Hubbel (and her brother, Keifer).

andromache

Record Breaker
Questions about the US ladies as the season is about to begin:

*Will Alysa make the jgp Final? Who will her competition be at her two events? What if she ends up with a bronze and a silver and barely misses out?

*Will Bradie be adding the tano and rippon features to her jumps? Or find another way to up her technical content?

*Will Hanna Harrell turn senior? With the lack of many stars in the US seniors this year, she could get the Skate America host pick.

*Can Mariah learn to do a reliable 3-3 combination? Will she attempt a 3A?

*Can top-10-at-nationals finishers Amber and Meagan step it up?

*Will Starr revert back to the 3sal-3toe with rippon arms that she used to do in her junior days, in order to up her technical content?

I think Alysa has a decent shot at making JGP final, though her competition at each event will be steep, I'm sure. I'm betting she will be at the US JGP event, and may even be likely to win - Russia/Japan might choose to send their weaker girls there.

Bradie could choose to add arm variations for her jumps, but since the GOE criteria have changed, that won't really up her content. Maybe we will see the return of the -3Lo combo? I think the best she can hope for is cleaning up her rotations.

Hanna could turn senior, but she would be better off at the junior level. There are enough JGP spots that she should be able to get two of them, and she just doesn't skate like a senior. The flaws of her skating will be much more evident at the senior level. Another year in juniors would be good for her.

Mariah is not going to do a 3A. Her 3-3 will continue to be unreliable, but maybe slightly less unreliable?

nataliebunard12

Rinkside
Agree, I think all the girls deserve atleat one grand prix spot. And they all have their flaws they need to work on but they will improve. My favortie skated is sarah so ihope they assign her something.

nataliebunard12

Rinkside
I agree. I think she is likely to get a second assignment if she does reasonably well (~top 5) at her first. She has among the most potential of the current US junior ladies.

Lindsay Thorngren scored an impressive 110.63 in her junior debut. If she keeps skating like this, she is very likely to get at least one assignment despite only competing in Intermediate last year. Has a skater ever gone straight from Intermediate to a JGP assignment before?

i think she had an overscore alittle cause her skating isnt really nice to watch and her jumps were alittle cheated but the judges still gave them clean to her. IF she goes internationally it ill not look as good as it does domestically