2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 252 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

concorde

Medalist
I asked MW's mom about it awhile back.

The show was alot of work and it was put on by volunteers, mainly his family. Not only that, most of his contemporaries were getting older so it was just getting harder and harder. Basically the family decided it was a good run and all good things come to an end.

natsulian

Final Flight
An insightful article about Mariah Bell two days after 4CC: http://figureskatersonline.com/news/2019/02/18/mariah-bell-skating-is-just-my-passion/

Some key things to note:
- Plans to skate for another four years at a MINIMUM
- Raf told her that after this season, they may start adding new jumps/combos
- Very disappointed in herself with her Long at 4CC, but says that after resting for a bit and going back to training, she’s ready for Worlds
- She’s indifferent about the “age factor” in figure skating and thinks that as long as you keep your body and mind healthy, you can skate for as long as you want
- Looks up to Carolina Kostner
- Thinks Raf is a “big teddy bear” on the inside

Maybe we should start calling Mariah the “young soul” because that truly describes her and regardless of her placement, the strides she’s made this year are amazing. Her performances are captivating and it’s only a matter of time before the PCS start to fly in. I truly hope for a Top 6 placement at Worlds for her. Good luck Mariah.

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
Thank you so much for this, Natsulian.

Mariah does have a delightful personality, and, I should think, an open and giving heart, for she gives so much of herself to her performances. There is no impediment between her, the music, and the movement, for they become one with her.

As for her "young soul," perhaps that is another way of referring to an essential innocence and a willingness to believe.

May it always be so for her.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Mariah seems so lovely - inside and out!

Hoping for many more years of skating for her!

First you cannot choose which sport you child will be interested in. I always thought mine would choose swimming but my child chose ice skating. So we do that. Swimming is not a "cheap" activity because you need a facility and those are expensive to maintain. Yes it cheaper than ice skating but everything is relative. Have you ever noticed that for the most part, swimmers come from more affluent families? That should be a good indicator about the expenses involved.

My husband when to college on 4-year scholarship to a Division I school. He once commented that his senior year he spent the night in 26 different hotel rooms (that is ALOT of missed classes). He is very proud he graduated in 4 years without taking summer school - not a lot of 4-year Division I scholarship athletes can say that. He also said that unless we were desperate, he would rather we pay than send our kids on college on one of those scholarships. He was a swimmer - All American and met the Olympic cuts. After he graduated, he did go in a pool for about 10+ years. We met year later at a pool - he was lap swimming and I was teaching swim lessons.

While ice skating may not offer college scholarships, I think ice skating does offer more opportunities to make money than alot of other sports - Disney on Ice and cruise ships want skaters. Long-term skaters have a realistic shot of getting one of those positions (we have known several). Some kids go to college and then the Peace Corps - I see another option as college then Disney on Ice which allows to the skater to travel while earning some money.

Also, you make alot more giving private lessons in ice skating than in swimming. I taught private lesson through the county and I know how much the swimming parents pay compared to how much I pay for ice skating private lessons. Coaching can be made into an income stream during the college years.

Well said. Thank you.

macy

Record Breaker
Gracie will be on the today show tomorrow speaking on mental health and her future in skating. Very excited to see!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I think Gracie likes the limelight. She can't seem to stay away from the camera or media. She is kind of like the cat that came back she claws her way back into the media centre somehow and some way. I kind of hope she finds what she is l ooking for and can smile.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I think Gracie likes the limelight. She can't seem to stay away from the camera or media. She is kind of like the cat that came back she claws her way back into the media centre somehow and some way. I kind of hope she finds what she is l ooking for and can smile.

To be fair, in this day and age the only way to earn endorsement deals is to stay in the limelight. To me, she seems naturally introverted so I don't feel like she especially likes having a lot of attention focused on her.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I remember it differently.

'After last year's Nationals, I suppose we were all ready to crown "I never fall" Bradie the savior of American skating. ' sums it up nicely for me, thought I think the enthusiasm actually started after Skate America.

Not all. :noshake: I was never on the "I Never Fall" Bradie bandwagon. This year she's had a target on her back, though, and that's a whole new ballgame. She still doesn't thrill me as a skater, but I love and extremely admire her SP. At least it fits her.

I do cross my fingers and hope for both her and my girl Mariah to put together great skates for Worlds.

I'm all in, on the Alysa Liu bandwagon, though. We'll see how that will pan out. :)

Casual

On the Ice
I didn't like Bradie last season, at all. But she is much improved. (Also, a good choice in music helps. :thumbsup:)

I don't see her as ever being able to grow into an artist. Something is missing for that, IMO. But she can certainly continue to teach herself to become a better performer, and keep on improving technically.

So, while I was not on her bandwagon, I root for her - as I would for anyone who's obviously trying and working very hard.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Bradie’s choreographer Benoit Richaud said that she doesn’t have artistic talent, but she is a very hard worker.

natsulian

Final Flight
Challenge Cup Ladies Short Program:
1. Amber Glenn, 70.25 with a 3F-3T, 2A, and 3Lo layout and all Level Fours
3. Starr Andrews, 64.76 with a 3T-3T, 3Lo, and 2A layout and three Level Fours and one Level Three

mrrice

Record Breaker
Challenge Cup Ladies Short Program:
1. Amber Glenn, 70.25 with a 3F-3T, 2A, and 3Lo layout and all Level Fours
3. Starr Andrews, 64.76 with a 3T-3T, 3Lo, and 2A layout and three Level Fours and one Level Three

Nice job ladies....2 sets of triple triples.