2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 213 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
A few different ways. Place well at US Nationals. Normally the top 12 will be in the ISP. Score well in a qualifying round. I think the unsaid minimum is around 160. Finally, do very well at a major club competition: Glacier Falls, Broadmoor, Skate Detroit, and Philly Champs. For novices and juniors, placing well at US Novice and Junior Challenge. Any of these will get you a spot on Philly International or a spot at US International Classic. To get a International Challenger, you need to score higher than 170. To get the TBA spot at SA, you should be the highest scoring senior and do well at one of the four club competitions I named.

This I will be tricky for Gracie but doable. If she can kick off the season well like Bradie did with a score of 188, follow that up with a few more wins with the same score and score well at a on the major club competitions, she'll be placed at Philly International. If she does well there, she'll be given SA.

Thanks for posting this. I didn't realize the process for selecting the SA host pick was so specific, but I'm glad it is merit-based.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I don’t find Vincent’s ETA: Restencourt tone that bad?:scratch3: He has been working in the USA for at least five years now, with American students, and I have heard an interview with him; he is conversant in English.

I love that he is upfront, positive, and taking on those who criticize Gracie:agree:

Of course, Jason fans were accustomed to Coach Vincent postings back in the day :biggrin:

It's one thing for a foreign-born person to SPEAK English, but quite a different thing to WRITE in English. I have worked with people who spoke English with quite a degree of fluency, but that fluency wasn't there in their writing. Often it was because what is normal in conversation doesn't translate over to business writing.

mrrice

Record Breaker
It's one thing for a foreign-born person to SPEAK English, but quite a different thing to WRITE in English. I have worked with people who spoke English with quite a degree of fluency, but that fluency wasn't there in their writing. Often it was because what is normal in conversation doesn't translate over to business writing.

This is completely true. I can speak basic Russian and I can understand it as well. However, writing in Russian is very difficult which is why I never do it. I always give non native English writers the benefit of the doubt. As skating fans, I think we all have good intentions.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
This is completely true. I can speak basic Russian and I can understand it as well. However, writing in Russian is very difficult which is why I never do it. I always give non native English writers the benefit of the doubt. As skating fans, I think we all have good intentions.

I (sort of) speak Spanish. Got a BA in Spanish more years ago than I care to admit. It's much easier to read. Not very easy to write.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Vincent has been posting in English for at least five years now. (maybe longer I haven’t followed his entire career in the states) Since I was ETA: [almost fluent, personally I think it extraordinarily difficult to achieve fluency in non native languages ]in French back in the day (I certainly claim that no longer) I’m pretty impressed by his language skills. And maybe I’m just automatically translating in my head.:biggrin:

Since we now know Gracies’s plans, it’s probably less important. :)

Last edited:

rlopen

On the Ice
Just wanted to say that Mirai on her Instagram said that she didn’t do the Grand Prix or Nationals this season because of the surgery.

I thought it was because she was basically done with competitive skating. Glad to see that that isn’t the case and that she may not be done just yet!!!!

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I hope to see Mirai and Gracie skate in some shows. It would be fun to see such two accomplished champions! You have to admire their hardwork and Mirai's family story is so riveting. THe hard work. There are a few similarities to Michelle Kwan though obvious not the same medal success.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Just wanted to say that Mirai on her Instagram said that she didn’t do the Grand Prix or Nationals this season because of the surgery.

I thought it was because she was basically done with competitive skating. Glad to see that that isn’t the case and that she may not be done just yet!!!!

It's tricky to compete again after surgery for a torn labrum. Ask Alissa Czisny---she came back to compete, tore the labrum again and had to have a second surgery. After that, she could only skate in shows.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It was from an article I read that stated that most posters of negative comments or reviews expect a response within 2 hours but it takes 21 hours to recover. I'll try to find the original article. I'm sure it's not 100% scientific but it stuck in my mind and from my experience seems about right. I have a hard time dealing with customer complaints effectively because a negative review hits me personally.

I completely agree. For so many years, the response has often been, "get a thick skin" or "don't take it personally" or even "Grow Up."

But I think the pendulum is swinging back. Human beings, being persons, take things personally to one degree or another, varying by the individual.

I'm interested that the article framed it as a brain thing, not the emotions. If you find it, I'd like a link. :thank:

:eek:topic: (sort of)

Casual

On the Ice

That depends though. Plenty of native English speakers can't write for (censored). Often it means they don't read enough.

Speaking skills come from listening and speaking practice (like for kids); writing skills start with reading. It's entirely possible to learn one but not the other.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Angela Wang has announced her withdrawal from Nats "due to illness and injury."

:(

Tweet re Mariah Bell's pre-Nats media call:

Includes a mention of possible off-season work on triple axel.

Really sad about Angela. Unsure about where she could go from here.

Headscratching a bit about triple axel talk from Mariah right now, although this feels like typical media call puffing. Consistent triple-triples should really be the priority.

apgold

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Headscratching a bit about triple axel talk from Mariah right now, although this feels like typical media call puffing. Consistent triple-triples should really be the priority.

Sad to hear about Angela - hope she can get healthy soon. Hope her new training environment is working out.

I wonder if we'll get any more withdrawal announcements over the next couple of weeks. I hope not!

georgia

On the Ice
mariah doesn’t need two triple triple combinations under her belt before she starts working on a triple axel. Mirai did it with many underotated jumps.

Icey

Record Breaker
I wish Gracie had gone and done a double jumps program, maybe with at least one triple.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Mariah has really struggled this season with her lutz. She's getting dinged on it for her takeoff edge even when it's around. I can see how her team could be discussing a triple axel considering that issue. Might be worth a try. I don't really get the point of talking about jumps that aren't ready, much less ones that aren't even past the "discussion" stage. But whatever. Media conferences are just fluff anyway, trying to get the press excited enough about you to write about you and the event.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I wish Gracie had gone and done a double jumps program, maybe with at least one triple.

At this point, it might be best to build herself up by skating in events for which her form would be competitive. A program of doubles would land her in last place, and that would be a tough pill to swallow for a former champion.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Well, all the time Mirai was working single-mindedly on the 3A, all sorts of people were constantly advising her to get something or other more consistent first. Now she gets nothing but accolades for it.

Good for Mariah for reaching for something. I recall Mirai saying a couple of years ago that she thought it was really valuable training the triple axel, even when she hadn't landed it in competition yet.

I like Mariah's attitude:

She believes that she has the best technical coach in the world, "There's no limit to what we can do."https://twitter.com/CenteredSpin/status/1083519025190100992

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Well, all the time Mirai was working single-mindedly on the 3A, all sorts of people were constantly advising her to get something or other more consistent first. Now she gets nothing but accolades for it.

Good for Mariah for reaching for something. I recall Mirai saying a couple of years ago that she thought it was really valuable training the triple axel, even when she hadn't landed it in competition yet.

I like Mariah's attitude:

She believes that she has the best technical coach in the world, "There's no limit to what we can do."https://twitter.com/CenteredSpin/status/1083519025190100992

I think Mariah is at a different stage than Mirai was. She's close to being competitive for the top U.S. lady spot this season and, especially after seeing her growth this year in performance and skating quality, she could be inside the top 8 at Worlds with stronger tech. Mirai has shown that a triple axel won't save a competition if the other triples aren't there and fully rotated. Moreover, Mariah's double axel as it stands doesn't necessarily have the height that would suggest she should train one. It's an odd prioritization for someone who is on the cusp like she is. Triple-triples are the bread and butter of the short program for senior ladies and medals are often won and lost by them. Triple axels are aces in the hole after that.

If I remember correctly, Mariah was talking about a triple axel a year or two ago as well fwiw