2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 113 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

Icey

Record Breaker
How in the world can "making the GPF" be the only goal of all the skaters in the GP?

I'm sure Megan Wessenberg was thrilled with her one and only GP slot, and a fine job she did with it.:agree: I'm not saying she wouldn't be more thrilled with two, but still .... plenty of skaters everywhere have no chance of making the final and are just happy to skate:)

I didn't say it was the only goal; I asked if it weren't the prime goal.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I didn't say it was the only goal; I asked if it weren't the prime goal.

It's the prime goal for top skaters. It's not the prime goal for the majority of skaters who compete on the GP circuit - for most skaters, it's more about getting SB scores, WS points, competitive experience and exposure. And in general doing their best and having a good competition.

tothepointe

On the Ice
It's the prime goal for top skaters. It's not the prime goal for the majority of skaters who compete on the GP circuit - for most skaters, it's more about getting SB scores, WS points, competitive experience and exposure. And in general doing their best and having a good competition.

There is also a small amount of prize money to be had for placing 5th or better. Which might not be much but better than a kick in the pants.

1st place US $ 18,000
2nd place US $ 13,000
3rd place US $ 9,000
4th place US $ 3,000
5th place US $ 2,000

SorrySkater

On the Ice
Nice outing by Starr in the short program at Skate Canada - 4th place, just ahead of Mariah Bell.

Last edited:

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
Yeah let’s not talk about Gracie dropping out

Waiting patiently to see Gracie skate again :)

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Gracie absolutely has to skate at Rostelecom or else her season is over before it even started. I suppose she could travel over there, bomb the SP and withdraw and then she'd still be eligible for USN, but why?

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
What happened to livvy shilling, Leah Keiser and Rebecca Peng? Are they still competing? I’m asking because sectionals is coming soon.

bennorii

On the Ice
According to the USFS international assignments page, Karen Chen and Ting Cui have been assigned to compete at Tallinn Trophy in late November.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Good chance for Ting to shake out her nerves and hopefully get a high SB. Hopefully Karen will be healed enough to go. When do the official Tallinn entries come out?

MarinHondas

Final Flight
According to the USFS international assignments page, Karen Chen and Ting Cui have been assigned to compete at Tallinn Trophy in late November.

This is great. Great opportunity for Ting and a nice way for Karen to get some more competition experience this season after being injured for so long and WS points.

stella luna

Final Flight
Gracie absolutely has to skate at Rostelecom or else her season is over before it even started. I suppose she could travel over there, bomb the SP and withdraw and then she'd still be eligible for USN, but why?

Wow, so much negativity. Give her a chance at least.

flipsydoodle

On the Ice
Samodurova is 16---I think she has probably gone through adolescence. There is such a thing as post-pubertal growth, which Sophia may not have gone through as yet (and which apparently Zagitova and Starr Andrews are going through now).

Puberty at 16 is not that rare in Europe and elsewhere. Plus, Eteri's skaters are kept artificially (and scarily) thin, when a certain percentage of body fat is necessary for menstruation. Worlds-level female gymnasts are also kept artificially thin and, like Eteri's skaters, go through a growth spurt after they seem to have peaked athletically (e.g. Radionova or the gymnasts moving on to NCAA). That degree of thinness delays puberty.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Mariah did well at SC. 4th place. Good effort in a deep field!!

-
Starr improved from SkAm but still struggled. Dropped from 4th to 7th :( ah well.