2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 117 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Mariah looks a lot stronger than she has in the past. I think both of her programs are gorgeous and she's a better performer than Bradie. I could see Mariah turning it on and wowing everyone at nationals.

Bradie is still slightly ahead but Mariah is right there with her so far for the US women...

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mariah looks a lot stronger than she has in the past. I think both of her programs are gorgeous and she's a better performer than Bradie. I could see Mariah turning it on and wowing everyone at nationals.

Bradie is still slightly ahead but Mariah is right there with her so far for the US women...

I’ve been saying this for years!! She’s always had something special and the charisma to be the face of US Skating.

It’s those :curse: Triple Triple jumps :furious: :curse:

She looked extra amazing in her SP at Skate Canada. I would have given her all the PCS on my scoresheet :luv17::love:

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
That SP choreography had a very Michelle Kwan vibe about it. I liked it a lot.

Carrying music without it running over you... Michelle was a pro at it and Mariah has that gift as well. Celine's voice is SO big if the performance energy can't match her voice then the music overtakes the skater and the performance falls flat. Mariah has always been a great performer and she's able to keep up her energy and performance to match the music which can create really amazing moments especially when she skates well. .

Mariah's issue has always been the consistency with the jumps. She has lovely jumps when she lands them, good content, fast spins and that sparkle/IT quality that Bradie doesn't have. Ever since she turned it on at SA two years ago I've been waiting for her to have that breakout moment again.

This was a very good start!

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I am not sure I am thrilled with Bradie working on the 3Z+3L with back issues. She already lost two season (two arguably very critical season) due to her back did she not learn? Does she think 2022 is far enough away she can afford an injury season?

I respect the drive and desire, but really I wish she would take care of herself. I would much rather see a happy healthy Bradie at worlds with only 3T combos than her miss worlds due to pain.

ssminnow

Rinkside
I assumed (and hoped) that ssminnow was referring to beautiful skating rather than beautiful in physical appearance. Top US ladies have tended to be more athletic or powerful or sexy in terms of skating/performance style, at least in recent years. I think both Alissa and Mariah have more of a sense of lightness and delicacy to their skating, unlike Gracie, Ashley, Mirai, and Bradie. I'd probably class Karen Chen as a "beautiful" skater as well, based on her "On Golden Pond" SP, though her programs have generally tended to be more theatrical/dramatic.

yes, 100%

concorde

Medalist
I am not sure I am thrilled with Bradie working on the 3Z+3L with back issues. She already lost two season (two arguably very critical season) due to her back did she not learn? Does she think 2022 is far enough away she can afford an injury season?

I respect the drive and desire, but really I wish she would take care of herself. I would much rather see a happy healthy Bradie at worlds with only 3T combos than her miss worlds due to pain.

You are confused.
Yes she had back injuries but she did not miss 2 seasons due to them. Timing has worked in her favor so she has not missed a Nationals since 2010 (when she went as a Juv).

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
You are confused.
Yes she had back injuries but she did not miss 2 seasons due to them. Timing has worked in her favor so she has not missed a Nationals since 2010 (when she went as a Juv).

I should have said she missed the chance to be competitive on the junior grand prix. You are of course right that she was able to hit nationals each year. Her results on the JGP were not what they could have been had she been healthy.

mrrice

Record Breaker
I think she’s planning on coming back next season.

Good for her. I know that she was very busy with College. I don't know how Nathan does it but, I know Polina joined a Sorority and had the full experience. I know that, along with studying must have taken time away from her training. I'd love to see her skate well regardless of how she places. Like Gracie, I just want to see her happy.

lurkz2

On the Ice
Good for her. I know that she was very busy with College. I don't know how Nathan does it but, I know Polina joined a Sorority and had the full experience. I know that, along with studying must have taken time away from her training. I'd love to see her skate well regardless of how she places. Like Gracie, I just want to see her happy.

Based on this article it's not that she's busy with college, but more that she's giving her body time to recover from injury.

https://olympics.nbcsports.com/2018/09/27/polina-edmunds-figure-skating/

chanchan

On the Ice
oh, I always like Polina's performance. And she is still young(same age with Bradie). Hope to see her next season.

andromache

Record Breaker
I look forward to seeing Polina skate again, but I'm not convinced we'll see her near the top of US skating. She's been off ice for a long time, and I assume that getting all her triples back, let alone a 3-3, will be tough, especially since she's so tall.

It's really unfortunate that she had to rest her foot entirely for such a long period of time. It's one thing not to be able to train jumps - at least you can work on other elements and refining your skating. I'm excited for her comeback though and to see what she brings to the table, as I hope I am underestimating her.

RobinA

On the Ice
I think that when it comes to lack of artistic ability/charisma it's how the choreography handles it. When Brian Boitano arrived on the scene the rap on him, correctly, said he was all technique and wasn't going anywhere until he developed some artistic skills. He was up against Brian Orser, who was style +. So they gave him a SP that highlighted old skating moves and style. One of the all-time great SPs, to my mind. 6.0s all the way. And a LP where he was a soldier...soldiers do not have to be artistes and are SUPPOSED to be stiff. They didn't try to have him do what he was not good at and went with his strengths. Gold Medal. Later, Brian became a VERY developed and complete skater, with some fantastically artistic programs in the, unfortunately now nonexistent, pro world.

I am convinced that Bradie, with the right choregrapher, could get some programs that use her abilities to up the artistic presentation. It will just take some thinking outside the box.