2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 160 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

andromache

Record Breaker
Can we please shift to Bradie and France!

The ladies field is so deep but I am super optimistic that she will medal. If she does not, then this will be the first season that the US ladies have not medaled at a GP event. I am hoping we can skip that "first."

I am also optimistic that she will medal. I expect to see a lot of improvement from her since Skate America. After not medaling there, I'm thinking she will want to really fight here to prove herself, especially on those jump rotations.

VenusHalley

Final Flight
I am bit worried about Gracie now. Maybe she wanted to compete, but she was clearly not fit... it has nothing to do with her body, but rather lack of strength, control, stamina... she struggled through her short and would probably not be do the long.
Can she get in competitive shape before nationals? And can she do it without spiral back into eating disorder? This is so tricky, because people with eating disorders often overexcercise... will the people around her be able to tell the difference? Will Gracie be able to distinguish the thin line between training hard and punishing her body?

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
With the American dollar worth so much more thanthe Canadian loonie Ravi Walia is not a bad choice. The privacy issues well Patrick and Kaetlyn did a lot of practice in private riks but the good ting about the mall is that there is osme accountabiliity withthe public openness. Gracie could maybe get a part time job at themall to pay for some of her expenses too. And when Kaetlyn comes back she wouuld have a formidable training mate.

It would be weird to see a skater win a Grand Prix event then two days later have her help me find a blouse at Old Navy.

DSQ

Record Breaker
Country
United-Kingdom
Re: Alysa at senior nationals. It's going to be fantastic experience for her in terms of learning how to compete under the pressure of a huge audience at a big event. That seems like the biggest benefit for her, long-term.

The biggest potential drawback is the hype she is going to get. Even if she doesn't medal, Tara and Johnny and the rest of the media are going to be hyping her (and it's not even their fault - she's a 13 year old girl doing 3As - you kind of have to hype that up). It could have a negative impact on her long-term. That said, I think her family and team are probably pretty aware of the hype they're going to be facing and will prepare her for it.

The pressure will be huge but if she can face it’ll be awesome. I hope that the American press can let her develop naturally because that 3A is awesome. Not just that but I really like choreography on her free.

As for Bradie I’m rooting for her in France but it’ll be tough, such a deep field.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
I am also optimistic that she will medal. I expect to see a lot of improvement from her since Skate America. After not medaling there, I'm thinking she will want to really fight here to prove herself, especially on those jump rotations.

I feel like her performances at IdF are really going to tell the story on her rotation issues. It's happened quite frequently at her past competitions and, against this field, she can't afford to give away too many points if she is hoping to land on the podium. This is a really deep field with several hard hitters and a lot of potential hitters too.

Obviously you've got Medvedeva who is expected to fight for that top spot or at least a podium finish. Then you've got Kihira who is coming off of a major win and is a gold favorite. There's Mihara who has been steady this season and can put up big numbers. You've also got Konstantinova who shocked everyone with a silver medal at her first event and is likely a podium contender if she's clean. Then you've got the maybes (Honda and Sotskova) who haven't been great so far but can pull down strong scores if they have a good night.

With Kihira and Med's scoring potential, I'd put Bradie on par with Mihara and Sotskova: capable of big numbers but not quite enough to beat the bigger names. Then again if Kihira and/or Med struggle the door opens.

I'm excited for this event. I feel like it's going to be a good one mostly b/c I'm not exactly sure who will be on the podium. My early prediction is Kihira, Medvedeva and Mihara...but I could be totally wrong.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm excited for this event. I feel like it's going to be a good one mostly b/c I'm not exactly sure who will be on the podium. My early prediction is Kihira, Medvedeva and Mihara...but I could be totally wrong.

I also think this is the likely podium, although I'd give Mihara around a 60% chance of beating Tennell just because the former is more consistently steady. Being one of the few women who has beaten Medvedeva in competition, Bradie can obviously end up on the podium if she skates her best.

musicfan80

Medalist
It would be weird to see a skater win a Grand Prix event then two days later have her help me find a blouse at Old Navy.

I’m pretty sure that, unless they are successful and then lucky enough to get adequate sponsorship deal(s), the overwhelmingly majority of Olympic level athletes have side jobs to support themselves.

Jaana

Record Breaker
Country
Finland
Can she get in competitive shape before nationals? And can she do it without spiral back into eating disorder? This is so tricky, because people with eating disorders often overexcercise... will the people around her be able to tell the difference? Will Gracie be able to distinguish the thin line between training hard and punishing her body?

Gold´s sp did not look promising for a success at Nationals or 4CC, but maybe her goal was just participate in a GP, never mind the results? What eating disorder does she have (eating too much or eating too little)?

I don´t think that any of her coaches have been a problem, the problem is in herself and only a good sports psychologist might be able to help. That is something that some skating fans have suggested to her years.

Seren

Wakabond Forever
Record Breaker
Gold´s sp did not look promising for a success at Nationals or 4CC, but maybe her goal was just participate in a GP, never mind the results? What eating disorder does she have (eating too much or eating too little)?

I don´t think that any of her coaches have been a problem, the problem is in herself and only a good sports psychologist might be able to help. That is something that some skating fans have suggested to her years.

What type of ED she has is no one's business and speculating about it isn't appropriate.

Moving on.

Back to Bradie- I'm not sure what to expect from her. I could see her anywhere from 2nd to 6th depending on how the cards fall. I am curious as to her improvement since SA.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

Ashley Wagner worked at I think it was Lucky Jeans at the mall for a while to help support herself.

... anyone remember the truck driver and the waitress?

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker

What type of ED she has is no one's business and speculating about it isn't appropriate.

Gracie used the term "Disordered Eating" which is... well i am new to this, but it is a thing and its own thing to really laymanize it. But given that she used that term and I think more than once, I think we should go with that as what she is comfortable sharing.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Can we please shift to Bradie and France!

The ladies field is so deep but I am super optimistic that she will medal. If she does not, then this will be the first season that the US ladies have not medaled at a GP event. I am hoping we can skip that "first."

The field at GP France is very deep indeed. If we assume that Rika and Evgenia will be on the podium, that makes it hard for Bradie, with Mai Mihara, Stanislava Konstantinova, Marin Honda, Maria Sotskova and even Alexia Paganini in the mix.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker

She will be motivated seeing Mariah Bell doing so well. Isn't France stacked as to competitors despite no current world medallists? Rika, Bradie, Evgenia, Stasyia, Maria, the Swiss girl plus one more top japanese lady? Anyone could win in this field with Evgenia no longer so confident.

Moxiejan

Medalist
Country
United-States
The field at GP France is very deep indeed. If we assume that Rika and Evgenia will be on the podium, that makes it hard for Bradie, with Mai Mihara, Stanislava Konstantinova, Marin Honda, Maria Sotskova and even Alexia Paganini in the mix.

It’s not impossible for Bradie (or someone else) to be 2nd & Evgenia 3rd, putting Evgenia into a tiebreak at 24 points with Kaori & others. Bradie’s placement will be key to the 5th & 6th qualifiers in the Final.

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
It’s not impossible for Bradie (or someone else) to be 2nd & Evgenia 3rd, putting Evgenia into a tiebreak at 24 points with Kaori & others. Bradie’s placement will be key to the 5th & 6th qualifiers in the Final.

No, Evgenia needs 2nd to get 24 points.

princessalica

Final Flight
Re: Alysa at senior nationals. It's going to be fantastic experience for her in terms of learning how to compete under the pressure of a huge audience at a big event. That seems like the biggest benefit for her, long-term.

The biggest potential drawback is the hype she is going to get. Even if she doesn't medal, Tara and Johnny and the rest of the media are going to be hyping her (and it's not even their fault - she's a 13 year old girl doing 3As - you kind of have to hype that up). It could have a negative impact on her long-term. That said, I think her family and team are probably pretty aware of the hype they're going to be facing and will prepare her for it.

But some can withstand the hype - they started hyping Nathan when he was pretty little, and despite his meltdown (and subsequent redemption) at the Olympics, Nathan has done an admirable job being hyped younger than Alysa. If the clips from 10 y/o Nathan saying that he would be eligible for the 2018 Olympics aren't evidence enough. It took him a little to fully get his footing, but he definitely is holding his own.

But I would love to see Alysa to continue to improve and do wonderfully on the Junior International circut - And am I correct in thinking that there are others her age that are showing exceptional promise as well? Not that Junior success automatically equates to Senior success.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Female I cant think of any,male skaters yes. In terms of physical injuries. Plushenko has gone thru dunno how many surgeries, on his knees and back.
A more recent example, Sota Yamamoto, Japanese male skater. He was touted the big up & comer along with Shoma Uno.
Then in 2016, he broke his RIGHT ankle during practice. Went thru 3 surgeries, long rehab. Then, couple of months later, he re- injured his ankle again doing a double jump.

Came back 2017, he was doing 2A and triples at sectionals. Only this season, 2018, he got his 3A back. He participated in NHK GP, no quads, finished a respectable 6th.
He has youth on his side, he's only 18 now.

Though I dont know where he had the mental strength to endure thru the surgeries, pain,long rehab.

I watched the group interview after NHK with the two other guys. He is so very Japanese in a good way - stoic and modest. But he said he wanted to be "involved with skating" 40 years from now, "because I'm no good at anything else." I imagine his sheer love of skating has carried him through. What a champion. Even if he never wins a medal again, I will always root for him.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States

Alexia doesn't have the difficulty in her FS to beat out the top skaters in this field. That's why she didn't medal at Rostelecom even though she was 3rd after the SP and had the cleanest FS (just one <). She placed 5th in the FS because she had one lutz, two loops and two 3 toes

If everyone is concerned about Bradie's URs, note that at Rostelecom, every skater got URs
Zagitova: 3z<+3lo, 3f<+2t+2lo
Samodurova: 3f+3t<
Lim: 3f<
Shiraiwa: 2a<, 3s<, 3lo<↓
Paganini: 3t+eu+3s<
Tursynbaeva: 3z<
Yamashita: 3z<+3t<+2t, 3z+3t<<, 3lo<, 3s+2t<
Tsurskaya: 3z+3t<, 3f!, 2a<, 2a<+3t<↓
Matsuda: 3t<↓, 3t<+rep

URs are so common now in ladies skating, even among the very top skaters, that it makes no sense to call out Bradie in particular for that fault.