2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 161 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It’s not impossible for Bradie (or someone else) to be 2nd & Evgenia 3rd, putting Evgenia into a tiebreak at 24 points with Kaori & others. Bradie’s placement will be key to the 5th & 6th qualifiers in the Final.

Yes, Bradie could be second. Evgenia could also be first and Rika could be third. I am assuming Rika and Evgenia will be on the podium but even that is not a sure thing. Because the field is so deep at GP France, I think it will be tough for Bradie to get a medal.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
I want Bradie to skate well. Her season's best is better than Evgenia, so it is not impossible for her to beat Evgenaia, though I also want Evgenia to be in the final. I don't really have a favorite here. I just want them to skate to their fullest potential and be scored properly.

brightphoton

Medalist
In the fall of 2006, Caroline Zhang and Ashley Wagner went to the JGP. Each won their two events and they finished 1-2 at the JGPF. After 2007 Nationals, Caroline Zhang, Mirai Nagasu and Ashley Wagner went to Junior Worlds and swept the podium there. In the fall of 2007, Mirai Nagasu went to the JGP and won both of her events and the JGPF. All three girls were established stars at the junior level and clearly on the fast track when they moved up to senior for 2008 Nationals. It is definitely not the same situation that we have with Alysa Liu now, who has no international record other than a limited one at the Advanced Novice level.

When Nagasu, Flatt and Wagner finished 1-2-3 at 2008 Worlds, the first two weren't old enough to go. Flatt, Zhang and Nagasu were sent to JW and they swept the podium again, in that order.

At Senior Worlds 2008, Ashley Wagner, Kimmie Meissner and Beatrisa Liang represented the US. But 2008 was the heyday of Mao Asada, YuNa Kim and Carolina Kostner, at a time when Michelle Kwan and Sasha Cohen had left a huge vacancy at the top in US figureskating.

Kimmie Meissner had won Worlds in 2006, but was 4th in 2007 and faded to 7th in 2008 as late growth scuttled her skating career. Beatrisa Liang was 10th, and Ashley Wagner 17th at their first Worlds.

Besides the 2 year age difference and junior success, the overall story is the same though. Young wunderkind is a comin' a marchin' to Nationals and you better watch out for when she's actually age eligible.

Sydney Rose

Final Flight
Gracie used the term "Disordered Eating" which is... well i am new to this, but it is a thing and its own thing to really laymanize it. But given that she used that term and I think more than once, I think we should go with that as what she is comfortable sharing.

Disordered eating is different than having an eating disorder. Disordered eating can sometimes lead to an actual eating disorder but that is by no means always the case. An example of disordered eating that many of us here probably suffer from occasionally is stress eating. Just google the two terms if you want to know more about this.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Besides the 2 year age difference and junior success, the overall story is the same though. Young wunderkind is a comin' a marchin' to Nationals and you better watch out for when she's actually age eligible.

None of Caroline Zhang, Mirai Nagasu or Rachael Flatt went on to become an outstanding success as a senior skater. They had initial success, then plateaued out. None of them ever made it to a world podium.
For that matter, there is no guarantee that Alysa Liu will even be able to beat the Russian supersquad when she hits the JGP.

tothepointe

On the Ice
It would be weird to see a skater win a Grand Prix event then two days later have her help me find a blouse at Old Navy.

Wagner used to work at American Eagle its how she saved up enough money to move to California. Plenty of Olympic level atheletes have to have real mundane jobs.

bennorii

On the Ice
I'm interested in seeing Ashley Lin at Nationals this year. She has nice musical qualities and relatively strong jumps. She also has an SB that could actually warrant a GP spot next year. She could potentially make the JW team, but she's gonna have to battle it out with Pooja, Ting, and Hanna for the two spots.

ETA: I'm especially interested in how she'll be scored domestically because it'll reveal whatever priorities that USFS has I guess... She could make the top 10, but it really comes down to how her PCS is scored.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
Disordered eating is different than having an eating disorder. Disordered eating can sometimes lead to an actual eating disorder but that is by no means always the case. An example of disordered eating that many of us here probably suffer from occasionally is stress eating. Just google the two terms if you want to know more about this.

Googleing is the extent of what I know and really did not want to overstate myself. That is pretty much what I had read, but again, i know no more than google on this.

That being said... she used in a rather deliberate way, so I do think it might not be bad to refer back to it.

jgordon

Spectator
I want Bradie to skate well. Her season's best is better than Evgenia, so it is not impossible for her to beat Evgenaia, though I also want Evgenia to be in the final. I don't really have a favorite here. I just want them to skate to their fullest potential and be scored properly.

Yes. I am really hoping to see Bradie go out there and just nail both programs like we’re used to seeing, no silly mistakes. And I have my fingers crossed that her performance quality has taken another step up.

Ambivalent

On the Ice
Ugh, it was so distressing to see Gracie like that. I do not blame her at all for this. She needed more time to be ready, and the authorities that be fed her to the wolves. Where was her coaching staff to tell her that she needed more training time, that it would be OK not to do this GP, that it would be OK not to do Nationals, that it's perfectly normal and healthy to require an extensive period of re-training to get it all back? Honestly, she could never, ever, skate again and she will have been still a supremely gifted, accomplished young woman with the world at her feet.

Gracie, we love and support you no matter what you do! We just want you to do things for you, at your own pace, with your health and happiness as number one priority.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
Gracie, we love and support you no matter what you do! We just want you to do things for you, at your own pace, with your health and happiness as number one priority.

Totally agree. And if Gracie the person needs to resurrect Gracie the skater to feel completely fulfilled, she should go about it like Dai Takahashi. Start again at the bottom. His comeback hasn't exactly been easy, but he's made it to Nationals so far after injury and what he described as the worst performance of his career. He's kept a relatively low profile and just kept on working. Dai said he was nervous at his first competition and says he still needs to build more stamina. It's not going to happen for Gracie in a few months. I wish her all the best whatever she decides to do.

Globetrotter

Medalist
None of Caroline Zhang, Mirai Nagasu or Rachael Flatt went on to become an outstanding success as a senior skater. They had initial success, then plateaued out. None of them ever made it to a world podium.
For that matter, there is no guarantee that Alysa Liu will even be able to beat the Russian supersquad when she hits the JGP.

Those were the early days of CoP scoring. US skaters having benefited so well under 6.0 via Kwan were not exactly roaring to go with the CoP system. Strong technical skaters like Irina Slutskaya were only competitive with Kwan under 6.0 by doing difficult jumps, difficult entries and spins with greater difficult variations to try to beat the presentation score via the tech mark. As such, they were the ones who thrived under CoP. Besides, neither Zhang nor the young Mirai had great basics to survive through well into seniors. After Kwan, the slew of US ladies who came along all had noticeably weak basic SS which made it hard for them to attack the big elements. Which was why Gracie came as a breath of freshness, having the SS and also the technical goods. Right now, I see only Karen Chen and Courtney Hicks having the firepower to eek things out but pity they are either injured (Chen) or ignored (Hicks). Courtney just needs to learn how to control her power and speed and I think she will be competitive.

lanceupper1114

On the Ice
It’s not impossible for Bradie (or someone else) to be 2nd & Evgenia 3rd, putting Evgenia into a tiebreak at 24 points with Kaori & others. Bradie’s placement will be key to the 5th & 6th qualifiers in the Final.

Evgenia needs to be 2nd to acquire 24 points. Bradie will enter the final if she wins because she would acquire 24 points, winning the 24 pt tie breaker because of 1st place placement, so she herself could become the 5th qualifier.

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Those were the early days of CoP scoring. US skaters having benefited so well under 6.0 via Kwan were not exactly roaring to go with the CoP system. Strong technical skaters like Irina Slutskaya were only competitive with Kwan under 6.0 by doing difficult jumps, difficult entries and spins with greater difficult variations to try to beat the presentation score via the tech mark. As such, they were the ones who thrived under CoP. Besides, neither Zhang nor the young Mirai had great basics to survive through well into seniors. After Kwan, the slew of US ladies who came along all had noticeably weak basic SS which made it hard for them to attack the big elements. Which was why Gracie came as a breath of freshness, having the SS and also the technical goods. Right now, I see only Karen Chen and Courtney Hicks having the firepower to eek things out but pity they are either injured (Chen) or ignored (Hicks). Courtney just needs to learn how to control her power and speed and I think she will be competitive.

Gracie didn’t achieve much more than her predecessors. She had the talent but wasn’t able to convert it to a World or Olympic championship(or medal). And Mirai never reached the highest level but I wouldn’t put her in the same category as Caroline Zhang or Rachael Flatt. Her career was a lot longer and she qualified for 2 (actually 3) Olympic teams. She made improvements in the later part of her career and became a member of the 3A club.

eaglehelang

Final Flight
Totally agree. And if Gracie the person needs to resurrect Gracie the skater to feel completely fulfilled, she should go about it like Dai Takahashi. Start again at the bottom. His comeback hasn't exactly been easy, but he's made it to Nationals so far after injury and what he described as the worst performance of his career. He's kept a relatively low profile and just kept on working. Dai said he was nervous at his first competition and says he still needs to build more stamina. It's not going to happen for Gracie in a few months. I wish her all the best whatever she decides to do.

Takshashi won sectionals in Nov, with a SP score of 83 & LP score of 161=244.
https://www.rockerskating.com/rocke...isuke-takahashi-2018-japan-western-sectionals

This score is higher than what some of the men scored at GP events. Perhaps you meant his performance at Kinki regionals, where his total score was 195 only

theharleyquinn

Medalist

I don't want to get too deep into this or necessarily project it onto Gracie's situation, but sometimes the thing that may seemingly make you feel the most fulfilled has a lot of tradeoffs for physical/mental health buried within it and that should be taken into account. Honestly, sometimes people shouldn't return to competition. That feels like a radical thing to say in some sports, but I think it's true, and people surrounding elite athletes should work to try to make that option feel more like a valid, honorable path when it makes sense for that person's well-being.