2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 163 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I like your comments, Skater Boy, just want to clarify, since I was the person who said that if she had landed her double axel at Rostelcom, the overall impression of the performance would have been different/better, and what I meant to say is that if she can land it at Nationals it will be a sign she is on her way back. Obviously she is not going to be in the top 10 at Nationals with a double axel and a couple of random triples. You need a full suite of triples to be in the mix. But when I went back and watched her program again a couple of days later without the burden of all of those expectations, it didn't seem as bad as it did initially. I was able to see the quality of her skating and performance much more than I had the first time. I think making it back to some level of competitiveness over time could be within her reach if she wants it badly enough, and agree with you that it's in her hands and hope she can tune out any external pressures and go after what she truly want.s

I agree that missing all of her jumps made her tentative skate that much worse. If Gracie actually has a double axel, I think she should do it first in her program, to set the tone. And maybe do a 3Lz-2T in the second half to make up some extra points. All of this assumes, of course, that Gracie is far enough along even to do an easier program without falling or popping.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Sport dominance is cyclical. Eventually, I think the US will have a dominant skater again.

It's going to be hard because there isn't anyone to inspire the next generation. Yuna Kim sort of came out of nowhere in South Korea, but in the US, Japan, and Russia, there were athletes to look back on in recent years. We're also starting to see that the training which produces successful skaters doesn't necessarily produce healthy women, and I'm not sure that the affluent parents who can afford skating in the US want to subject their children to that. I'm not saying it won't happen, but right now it's hard to imagine given how far ahead the Russian and Japanese women are.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
It's going to be hard because there isn't anyone to inspire the next generation. Yuna Kim sort of came out of nowhere in South Korea, but in the US, Japan, and Russia, there were athletes to look back on in recent years. We're also starting to see that the training which produces successful skaters doesn't necessarily produce healthy women, and I'm not sure that the affluent parents who can afford skating in the US want to subject their children to that. I'm not saying it won't happen, but right now it's hard to imagine given how far ahead the Russian and Japanese women are.

If Alysa Liu continues on the path she’s on now, which I know is a big IF, but she could be the change in U.S. ladies skating. Not saying she’ll win OGM or anything but she could put the U.S. back in the mix and inspire girls like Ting or Hanna to improve consistency thus improving the state significantly. It’s not like we have nobody coming up and the idea is incredibly far fetched.

hippomoomin

Record Breaker
It's too early to tell whether Alysa's jumps will survive growth but she appears to be a good competitor. I have a feeling she will do well under pressure similar to Trusova.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

MarinHondas

Final Flight
There was nothing "plateau-like" about Mirai's career. More like a series of mountain ranges. She has three major-international medals, four GP medals, and an Olympic gold that we all know she darned well helped earn (by placing over Kostner & Daleman). "Outstanding" is in the eye of the beholder.

And can I slip in an appreciation for Rachael Flatt? Junior World Champion, four Grand Prix medals, one U.S. National Championship (could have been three). She also made the Grand Prix Finals once and represented the U.S. at Worlds three times and at the Olympics once (should have got fifth), though she didn't win a medal -- a distinction that she shares with Mirai and Gracie, not counting Mirai's team medal.

As for mental health and eating disorders, she did not suffer from these maladies herself, but she is pursuing a PhD in this area of medical research in the hope of helping others. :rock:

I can see why Mariah is susceptible to edge calls by stingy panels but I think her Lutz looks great and the only flaw I see in a jump like this is the way it’s potentially judged :dev2:

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bqa9J7Lns99/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=r36xxqfqkk7l

It’s Tuesday....make your feelings known :devil:

PS: Mariah looks stunning in slow motion.

PPS: Those floating nets look scary :scard7:

Oh, gosh. I don't know. To me, she established the outside edge early, but rocked over a little onto the flat for the actual moment of take-off.

(I totally agree with the rest of the post. :) )

It's tough to compare Kwan with the US ladies of the IJS era. If she had to do 3-3s and difficult transitions and IJS spins and footwork to compete, her legacy might be very different.

I think the spins were the hardest. When the first version of the CoP came out, all the flexibility moves and changes of position hurt her back. She calculated that she would come out ahead by doing lower base-value spins, but making up the difference by quality (GOE). The equation did not work out in her favor.

Although she did not have a difficult triple-triple, she did successfully land her triple toe - triple toe 14 times in competition. Having begun her career as a jumping bean, she probably could have mastered more jump content if the scoring had been different in her era. Same with footwork and transitions. In those days the emphasis was on edging and gliding and not so much on busy steps and turns.

Even in the IJS era, she would win on the sixth component score -- Kwanliness. :biggrin:

By the way, if anyone missed the announcement on the Michelle Fan Fest page, I think she is coming back this year in pairs, with John Coughlin. :yes:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BprqKU-Fgt2/

Last edited:

Sugar Coated

Final Flight
My thoughts from working in the mental health field is that Gracie is not ready yet emotionally for a return. Its not about how anxious she looks on the ice or how she performed, its how she reacted to the score she got. She was not resilient enough yet to handle a negative performance and score. That's something she's going to need if she wants to continue to compete, even if her general performance improves, she needs to have the coping ability to handle setbacks and disappointment. Because from my understanding, that is what contributed significantly to a lot of her worsening mental health symptoms - difficulty handling and interpreting setbacks and the ability to not let it influence her next skate.

In many ways, her ability to handle the Rostlecom skate is not that different than emotional wellness needed to handle "4th place at Worlds" disappointment. She does not yet have the skills or emotional resilience for competition yet. Even if she had performed exceptionally, she would just be delaying the inevitable if she's not able to handle setbacks. Look at how Kaori and Zhenya were able to bounce back, at some point Gracie would have a similar skate and she needs to be emotionally ready for that.

Honestly, my sense is that Gracie isn't skating for herself but rather because of some expectation she has (or family or perceived social pressure) for herself. To me, it doesn't look like she put in the necessary hours of training needed for someone who really "wants it" and is competing because of her love of skating. If she really wanted to come back in a healthy way, she would need to start by getting off social media completely and continuing to surround herself with an appropriate mental health team (e.g., therapy at least 1-2 times per week, dietician who can help her adhere to a healthy eating plan, and a sports psychologist/performance coach).

But more importantly, she'd need to really decide that she was doing this for HERSELF. Not for fans,or family or because she has talent or because she thinks she's supposed to or because she's trying to chase what she almost had. A comeback for Gracie has to start with a true love for skating. She enjoys the experience of skating, values the work that goes into it, and her only reason to compete should be because she wants to prove to HERSELF what she is capable of. If that's her mentality, that she goes into the gym to train everyday to show herself what she's capable of and what potential she has, then she can never fail. Because she can't be disappointed in herself if she's doing it only for her and knows she put in the work. Yes, she can be disappointed in a competition or a skate or the results, but if she knows she put in 110% to training and did her best at the moment then she didn't let anyone down. Each competition should be about enjoying that moment and having a chance to show herself the hard work she has put in. Outcome shouldn't matter (for her to get back to a healthy mentality), but what should matter is every day of practice at the rink, every training session at the gym, and every healthy decision she makes for her mind/body in between. But honestly, I don't get the sense that she loves it that much to prover to herself what she is capable of. Instead, I think she doesn't know who she is without skating and there is so much more to her and so much more to life if she is ready to move on.

brightphoton

Medalist
And can I slip in an appreciation for Rachael Flatt? Junior World Champion, four Grand Prix medals, one U.S. National Championship (could have been three). She also made the Grand Prix Finals once and represented the U.S. at Worlds three times and at the Olympics once (should have got fifth), though she didn't win a medal -- a distinction that she shares with Mirai and Gracie, not counting Mirai's team medal.

Since we're differentiating between team and individual Olympic medals, don't forget that Gracie also has a bronze Olympic team medal :agree:

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
I like your comments, Skater Boy, just want to clarify, since I was the person who said that if she had landed her double axel at Rostelcom, the overall impression of the performance would have been different/better, and what I meant to say is that if she can land it at Nationals it will be a sign she is on her way back. Obviously she is not going to be in the top 10 at Nationals with a double axel and a couple of random triples. You need a full suite of triples to be in the mix. But when I went back and watched her program again a couple of days later without the burden of all of those expectations, it didn't seem as bad as it did initially. I was able to see the quality of her skating and performance much more than I had the first time. I think making it back to some level of competitiveness over time could be within her reach if she wants it badly enough, and agree with you that it's in her hands and hope she can tune out any external pressures and go after what she truly want.s

You are so well spoken. I agree. I did rewatch her program and her skating skills are pretty good still as are the spins - granted and please don't hit me they aren't quite as pretty or fast but still well done. And that double lutz double toe well you could see already the power, height and distant reminiscent of Gold's past 3lutz 3 toe. I just hope the skating federation, fans, coaches, family and herself gives her time to decide things for her self and go from there.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
My thoughts from working in the mental health field is that Gracie is not ready yet emotionally for a return. Its not about how anxious she looks on the ice or how she performed, its how she reacted to the score she got. She was not resilient enough yet to handle a negative performance and score. That's something she's going to need if she wants to continue to compete, even if her general performance improves, she needs to have the coping ability to handle setbacks and disappointment. Because from my understanding, that is what contributed significantly to a lot of her worsening mental health symptoms - difficulty handling and interpreting setbacks and the ability to not let it influence her next skate.

In many ways, her ability to handle the Rostlecom skate is not that different than emotional wellness needed to handle "4th place at Worlds" disappointment. She does not yet have the skills or emotional resilience for competition yet. Even if she had performed exceptionally, she would just be delaying the inevitable if she's not able to handle setbacks. Look at how Kaori and Zhenya were able to bounce back, at some point Gracie would have a similar skate and she needs to be emotionally ready for that.

Honestly, my sense is that Gracie isn't skating for herself but rather because of some expectation she has (or family or perceived social pressure) for herself. To me, it doesn't look like she put in the necessary hours of training needed for someone who really "wants it" and is competing because of her love of skating. If she really wanted to come back in a healthy way, she would need to start by getting off social media completely and continuing to surround herself with an appropriate mental health team (e.g., therapy at least 1-2 times per week, dietician who can help her adhere to a healthy eating plan, and a sports psychologist/performance coach).

But more importantly, she'd need to really decide that she was doing this for HERSELF. Not for fans,or family or because she has talent or because she thinks she's supposed to or because she's trying to chase what she almost had. A comeback for Gracie has to start with a true love for skating. She enjoys the experience of skating, values the work that goes into it, and her only reason to compete should be because she wants to prove to HERSELF what she is capable of. If that's her mentality, that she goes into the gym to train everyday to show herself what she's capable of and what potential she has, then she can never fail. Because she can't be disappointed in herself if she's doing it only for her and knows she put in the work. Yes, she can be disappointed in a competition or a skate or the results, but if she knows she put in 110% to training and did her best at the moment then she didn't let anyone down. Each competition should be about enjoying that moment and having a chance to show herself the hard work she has put in. Outcome shouldn't matter (for her to get back to a healthy mentality), but what should matter is every day of practice at the rink, every training session at the gym, and every healthy decision she makes for her mind/body in between. But honestly, I don't get the sense that she loves it that much to prover to herself what she is capable of. Instead, I think she doesn't know who she is without skating and there is so much more to her and so much more to life if she is ready to move on.

Preach it Sugar Coated. I think a lot of us have been saying that in our own words. Though some of us might give her some credence that maybe she has a dietician, trainin ghard etc. Who knows.

Skater Boy

Record Breaker
So as we come towards the end of the Grand Prix Final who are the American ladies really contending to go to worlds?

I would say at this point Mariah Bell, Bradie Tennell look like the front runners. I am worried about Karen Chen if she will even skate at a B event before Nats. Starr Andrews has had major setbacks, Courtney Hicks has been less than impressive. Megan is hohum.

oly2018

Final Flight
So as we come towards the end of the Grand Prix Final who are the American ladies really contending to go to worlds?

I would say at this point Mariah Bell, Bradie Tennell look like the front runners. I am worried about Karen Chen if she will even skate at a B event before Nats. Starr Andrews has had major setbacks, Courtney Hicks has been less than impressive. Megan is hohum.

I agree. Bradie and Mariah seem to be the top contenders and then there is a steep drop off. Karen may come back and make a splash, but she hasn't competed all season and for someone that is already not known for her consistency, that may mean nothing.

frida80

Record Breaker

Bradie is a lock. Mariah is the most likely for the second spot. Ting could play spoiler if she nails two clean programs. But historically, they'll go with Bradie and Mariah because they have the experience.

katymay

Medalist

I think it will be Bradie and Ting Cui. Next year I believe Starr will be back, it is an adjustment year for her. I love love love Mariah, but she needs to increase her BV

jenaj

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I have been impressed by Mariah Bell this season. I hope she continues to do well and is on the World team. My early predictions for the US Nationals (not in any order): Bell, Tennell and Alysa Liu.