2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 202 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Hm, Miss Daisy, you have a pretty good knack for bringing me back down to earth. :unsure: But she has so many wonderful qualities! And this could be the year that she brings it all together. It's kind of looking like it. Fingers crossed. I'm looking forward to a lot of skaters highlighting diverse, personal skating qualities at Nationals.

Mariah is really good and definitely had the second strongest season. I just wouldn't assume the two skaters who had the best seasons will necessarily have the strongest Nationals performance. Karen made the last two World teams despite having bad GP seasons.

sheetz

Record Breaker
To be fair Mariah really didn't skate that badly at last Nationals but was buried by very low PCS. All the top 4 received PCS in the high 60s for the LP but she only got 62.74. With the same type of PCS she would have been right there with Karen and Ashley.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
She didn't. She Sasha'd and messed up her last jump, but she skated fairly well at last year's Nationals considering the depth of the field. She has not always skated so well at Nationals though. This year, she's had a very nice solid-looking season relative to the field, both national and international. Considering some of her outings over time, though, it's fair for us to withhold expectations and just wait & see. It didn't do her any favors when people were throwing her name around as a "favorite" during her breakout season. Now she has done enough to actually merit the predictions, but more people are familiar with her as a competitor and wise enough to avoid unbridled expectations.

frida80

Record Breaker
I love think it helps she no longer has that WS FS. She just couldn't show her personality like she could with her 2016-2017 or this years FS. Now her PCS score is rising appropriately.

ice coverage

Record Breaker
2019 Nats athlete list from official website:

Heidi Munger and Emmy Ma both are on the list for Championship Ladies. :)
(Although they placed fifth and sixth, respectively, at Eastern Sectionals.)

So in hindsight: Is it possible that Ting Cui and Megan Wessenberg did have byes to Nats -- and voluntarily competed at sectionals?

ETA (on May 25, 2019):
I decided that for posterity, it is worth adding the quote below from p. 14 of the USFS 2018-19 Combined Report of Action (published after 2019 Governing Council):
46. ACCEPTED the recommendation to grant two additional byes to the 2019 Geico U.S. Figure Skating Championships with the understanding that, going forward with the new qualifying structure, specific guidelines regarding byes will be written and disseminated.
The date for Item 46 seems to be Dec 11, 2018. It must be a reference to byes to Nats for Ting and Megan, with the decision to grant their byes not being made until after sectionals in Nov.​

And now it is clear:
Mirai is not on the list. Nor is Ashley.
(Gracie is on the list.)​

(Sorry if I am late to the party. I don't know whether the list already was posted in a competition thread.)

tothepointe

On the Ice

So in hindsight: Is it possible that Ting Cui and Megan Wessenberg did have byes to Nats -- and voluntarily competed at sectionals?

And now it is clear:

(Sorry if I am late to the party. I don't know whether the list already was posted in a competition thread.)

Interesting 3 skaters from a "club" I'ver never heard of before competiting in the Senior Ladies. The Mitchell Johansson Method. Seems like an interesting setup https://www.mjmskating.com/

frida80

Record Breaker

And now it is clear:

It is odd that both Heidi and Emmy are going to nationals. Everyone from their sectionals is still going to nationals. I wonder if they have them spots because Mirai and Ashley aren’t going this year?

oly2018

Final Flight
Can this list be updated again? Of the 2, Mirai seems the most likely to surprise us because she has been training in some capacity, but Ashley seems done. I am very excited for Emmy! I think she is the most natural performer of the recent seniors, but her jumps are not consistent :(

ice coverage

Record Breaker
It is odd that both Heidi and Emmy are going to nationals. Everyone from their sectionals is still going to nationals. …

Thus my theory/speculation that Ting and Megan already had byes, and are not "using up" slots from Eastern Sectionals.

Can this list be updated again? Of the 2, Mirai seems the most likely to surprise us because she has been training in some capacity, but Ashley seems done. I am very excited for Emmy! I think she is the most natural performer of the recent seniors, but her jumps are not consistent :(

I too am excited for Emmy. :yay:

AFAIK, Mirai cannot make a "new" decision at this point that she wants to be added.
She would have had to register back in September if she wanted to keep the door open to using her bye to Nats.
(The only possible scenario that I can see for adding her to the list now is that someone at USFS made a human error and forgot that Mirai already had decided to use her bye.)
[All of the above applies to Ashley as well.]

frida80

Record Breaker
Thus my theory/speculation that Ting and Megan already had byes, and are not "using up" slots from Eastern Sectionals.

I too am excited for Emmy. :yay:

AFAIK, Mirai cannot make a "new" decision at this point that she wants to be added.
She would have had to register back in September if she wanted to keep the door open to using her bye to Nats.
(The only possible scenario that I can see for adding her to the list now is that someone at USFS made a human error and forgot that Mirai already had decided to use her bye.)
[All of the above applies to Ashley as well.]

Now that makes more sense. Both Megan and Ting has byes for skating again for their challengers. I’m super happy for Emmy. She looked so upset at sectionals.

Elana

On the Ice
Interesting 3 skaters from a "club" I'ver never heard of before competiting in the Senior Ladies. The Mitchell Johansson Method. Seems like an interesting setup https://www.mjmskating.com/

Yes as some others have said, they started their program a few years ago based in Boston, but still affilliated with SCOB, just over this past summer they started having their students represent their new club. They have a very strong team of people working with their students and have a lot of great skaters in their group. A few other common names from them are Milly Murdock, Gabbie Izzo, and Indi Cha.

Parsifal3363

On the Ice
That's welcome news about Heidi Munger, ice coverage. Her free skate at the Eastern Sectionals was quite lovely and easily the most artistic of the competition. However, she either hit her jumps cleanly or popped them, and it made all the difference in the scoring. Her program, presence, and skills are such that she could certainly place in the top 10 at nationals, and perhaps better. I'm glad that she'll have the opportunity to try.

champs

Final Flight
I have a wish Courtney and Amber will make a trip to Worlds at least once in their competitive careers. The way they have been skating I know it's not happening, and Bradie and Mariah seem to be sure shots for the World berths this season, but I could wish.
In the meantime, I'm excited to see how Alysa, as well as Ting Hanna Pooja Ashley and Emmy will do in the same competition. Can't wait!

tothepointe

On the Ice
Yes as some others have said, they started their program a few years ago based in Boston, but still affilliated with SCOB, just over this past summer they started having their students represent their new club. They have a very strong team of people working with their students and have a lot of great skaters in their group. A few other common names from them are Milly Murdock, Gabbie Izzo, and Indi Cha.

Ahhh I see. I found it interesting to see a training group having their own club. It seems like a step in the right direction.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Gracie Gold placed ahead of Ashley at the Olympics and won two U.S. championships. If she'd skated Firebird at Worlds the way she skated it at Nationals, she'd have won the Gold at Worlds in 2016--her short was the highest-scored short by an American woman at Worlds.

That short was AMAZING. I was lucky to see it in person and went back to the hotel and watched it again and again. My sister: "Are you watching that AGAIN?" Me: "Yes, it's just that good."

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I thought the Russian juniors ended up making the Nationals event very exciting, even though the medalists can't go to worlds. If Alysa can bring some spark to our championships, it would be great to see.