2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 204 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

Charlotte 71

On the Ice
Phil has been pushing for Mariah for national champ on his twitter for a while now (and tooting the "Bradie better watch her back" horn too) so yeah...he meant he sees Mariah as the favorite despite Bradie being the defending champ. He hasn't been subtle about it. His stance on that has been pretty straightforward.

Exhibit A: https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1066042223261872128

But then when Bradie won GS, he tweeted this: https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1071437585980030976

So he's a bit back and forth, but it's obvious he's pulling for Mariah.

I just don't understand this thinking at all. Mariah is a lovely, gorgeous, charismatic skater, but she hasn't proven a consistent triple-triple in competition, and Bradie certainly has. Meanwhile, Bradie has made great - I'd even say spectacular - strides in her artistry and PCS this year. To say that Mariah has a chance of taking the title over Bradie... sure, she has a chance, along with a small handful of other ladies. Mariah probably has the best chance. But to say that Bradie is not a solid, even overwhelming, favorite just seems so disrespectful to Bradie and all of the good qualities she has worked so hard on. I admire both of them and wish both the best of luck.

I know she is not on the entry list but this interview says Mirai is one of the participants...
https://youtu.be/M2Nz0zfRjRk

I don't know. The interviewer said that Mirai was one of the "oarticipating skaters" and Mirai didn't jump in to say, "No, no." Still, Mirai might be playing it coy, "participating" in the event in some other capacity than as a competitor.

frida80

Record Breaker
I don't know. The interviewer said that Mirai was one of the "oarticipating skaters" and Mirai didn't jump in to say, "No, no." Still, Mirai might be playing it coy, "participating" in the event in some other capacity than as a competitor.

USFS clearly has hired Mirai to promote nationals. She's been all over the place. When she was describing nationals, she sounded like she wouldn't be competing. I'm sure they want her to play it coy, to get more ticket sales. They don't have a huge star in ladies this year to promote. Bradie and everyone else is just starting to gain recognition.

tothepointe

On the Ice
USFS clearly has hired Mirai to promote nationals. She's been all over the place. When she was describing nationals, she sounded like she wouldn't be competing. I'm sure they want her to play it coy, to get more ticket sales. They don't have a huge star in ladies this year to promote. Bradie and everyone else is just starting to gain recognition.

They have 3 national champions. Bradie is the defending champion, Karen the perpetual dark horse and Gracie with her comeback. Being that skating fans are the ones that buy tickets then I think that will be enough of a draw for them.

theharleyquinn

Medalist
They have 3 national champions. Bradie is the defending champion, Karen the perpetual dark horse and Gracie with her comeback. Being that skating fans are the ones that buy tickets then I think that will be enough of a draw for them.

Mirai is the only one of the three coming off of momentum from the Olympics and is active on social media. They may be hoping to draw in some casual people who followed Mirai post-Olympics and DWTS.

frida80

Record Breaker

Neither Gracie or Karen are in good enough shape to challenge this year. So they aren't good candidates to promote at nationals. Bradie is still new and USFS would probably prefer she focuses on nationals and beyond.

Mirai is the only one of the three coming off of momentum from the Olympics and is active on social media. They may be hoping to draw in some casual people who followed Mirai post-Olympics and DWTS.

Pretty much. Mirai gained a lot of post Olympic fame for her triple axel. She also
most likely isn't competing, so she's can be deployed without risking precious practice time.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States

I imagine they're trying to expand their ticket sales beyond the regular skating fans, to folks with more of a casual interest. I noticed that Mirai slanted her remarks toward the ladies' event, just a bit.

I loved her answer when the interviewer asked if the categories were by age, or something else. (I'm paraphrasing.) Mirai: I guess I wish it was by age, since I'm one of the oldest ....

She's very good in interviews like this. I've always liked her light, whimsical quality, when she's being herself. When she piggy-backed Adam's comments for a while there, her interviews worked less well.

Well done, Mirai!:hap10:

andromache

Record Breaker
I wish USFS and Mirai would stop playing the "will she/won't she" game regarding Mirai potentially competing at Nationals. We have an entry list. She's not on it. Deciding to add Mirai at the last moment (which I am 95% sure won't happen) feels a little too reality television.

^ I hope no one buys a ticket just to see Mirai, and then ends up feeling like the USFSA tricked them.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I wish USFS and Mirai would stop playing the "will she/won't she" game regarding Mirai potentially competing at Nationals. We have an entry list. She's not on it. Deciding to add Mirai at the last moment (which I am 95% sure won't happen) feels a little too reality television.

... USFS might think this is a good thing and clever marketing.

mrrice

Record Breaker
As one of her fans, my expectations for Gracie are quite low. Unfortunately, I think her team took the wrong approach by keeping her pre national events to a minimum. I would have sent her to every senior B and sectional that would take her. She has always a been a nervous competitor and I just don't think she's got her legs back yet. I hope I'm wrong but, it would take some serious bombing by our top 3 for Gracie to make it back to Worlds. We only have 2 spots, right?

andromache

Record Breaker
As one of her fans, my expectations for Gracie are quite low. Unfortunately, I think her team took the wrong approach by keeping her pre national events to a minimum. I would have sent her to every senior B and sectional that would take her. She has always a been a nervous competitor and I just don't think she's got her legs back yet. I hope I'm wrong but, it would take some serious bombing by our top 3 for Gracie to make it back to Worlds. We only have 2 spots, right?

I do not think podium is a realistic goal for Gracie this season at all. Top 10, given how we last saw her, would be an admirable accomplishment for her.

ice coverage

Record Breaker

Unless USFS or Mirai within the last couple of days has been encouraging fans to think that she could be a possible Nats competitor, I don't see any mixed signals.

For some inexplicable reason, some people in this thread are reacting to the local Detroit TV station interview as if it were hot off the press, although it is not.
The reality is that it was posted on YouTube on Dec 14.
And as far as I can tell, the interview took place before USFS published its list of athletes on the Nats website.

I first happened to notice the list there on Dec 18.
Hadn't seen the list mentioned any earlier than that on GS or FSU.

(The list is marked, "as of Dec 13," but it would not surprise me if USFS did not publish the list until after Dec 13.)

tosca

On the Ice
Unless USFS or Mirai within the last couple of days has been encouraging fans to think that she could be a possible Nats competitor, I don't see any mixed signals.

For some inexplicable reason, some people in this thread are reacting to the local Detroit TV station interview as if it were hot off the press, although it is not.
The reality is that it was posted on YouTube on Dec 14.
And as far as I can tell, the interview took place before USFS published its list of athletes on the Nats website.

I first happened to notice the list there on Dec 18.
Hadn't seen the list mentioned any earlier than that on GS or FSU.

(The list is marked, "as of Dec 13," but it would not surprise me if USFS did not publish the list until after Dec 13.)

In my original post I did mention that she was not on the entry list.

I brought up the interview because selfishly as a fan I was hoping that we’d get to see her skate again (this time without the high stakes pressure) and it had not been mentioned in this thread. From a marketing standpoint, I do feel like it is quite misleading.

Anyways, I feel like it is safe to say she is not competing.

I know there is a lot of focus on Alysa Liu, as well as Bradie, Mariah, and Gracie, but personally I am very excited to see Ting Cui’s senior debut. Like most of our US ladies, she has a lot of potential with such a strong foundation but has not been able to put out two clean performances. Tallinn might have been the competition to help give her the right competitive mindset but we will see!

ice coverage

Record Breaker
In my original post I did mention that she was not on the entry list.

I brought up the interview because selfishly as a fan I was hoping that we’d get to see her skate again (this time without the high stakes pressure) and it had not been mentioned in this thread. From a marketing standpoint, I do feel like it is quite misleading.

Anyways, I feel like it is safe to say she is not competing. ...

Sorry that I was not clear. I did *not* have you in mind when I referred to some who are reacting to the interview as if it were hot off the press.

And yes, I know that you mentioned in your first post that Mirai was not on the entry list. :agree:

As I said above: Given the timeline of the Dec 14 interview and the entry list, I don't see mixed signals -- unless there is a newer interview that would give the impression that the door still is open for Mirai to compete at 2019 Nats.

YMMV.

concorde

Medalist
Phil has been pushing for Mariah for national champ on his twitter for a while now (and tooting the "Bradie better watch her back" horn too) so yeah...he meant he sees Mariah as the favorite despite Bradie being the defending champ. He hasn't been subtle about it. His stance on that has been pretty straightforward.

Exhibit A: https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1066042223261872128

But then when Bradie won GS, he tweeted this: https://twitter.com/olyphil/status/1071437585980030976

So he's a bit back and forth, but it's obvious he's pulling for Mariah.

It is well known amoung the skaters themselves that defending as National champion is much harder than winning the national championship. I think that is why Phil wrote about Bradie watching her back.

StitchMonkey

Record Breaker
I do not think podium is a realistic goal for Gracie this season at all. Top 10, given how we last saw her, would be an admirable accomplishment for her.

At this point completing a free skate would be an admirable accomplishment for her to celebrate.

LiamForeman

William/Uilyam
Medalist
Deciding to add Mirai at the last moment (which I am 95% sure won't happen) feels a little too reality television.
Unless I am not understanding the rules completely, she has 100% chance of not competing. Paperwork needs to be filled out by what, August? She didn't submit the paperwork as far as I remember. So she cannot just show up at Nationals.

concorde

Medalist
Not sure how most of us would know whether or not Mirai registered in August unless she said something one way or the other. Mirai could have and if so, she still has a couple of weeks to decide what she wants to do.

Ashley said she did not register so that one is easy.