2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 205 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Not sure how most of us would know whether or not Mirai registered in August unless she said something one way or the other. Mirai could have and if so, she still has a couple of weeks to decide what she wants to do. ...

Agree that it is very possible that Mirai registered at the beginning of the qualifying season -- to keep her options open.

But … I would venture to guess that USFS had a later deadline by which Mirai (if she wants to compete) would have needed to officially confirm to USFS that she intends to go forward with competing at Nats.
Are you saying that you know the date of that later deadline for confirmation? What is the date?

I would find it strange for USFS to publish the athletes list if the deadline for confirmation had not already passed.

In other words: Mirai's absence from the list signals to me that she already has opted out (whether at the beginning of the season or more recently).

concorde

Medalist
Agree that it is very possible that Mirai registered at the beginning of the qualifying season -- to keep her options open.

But … I would venture to guess that USFS had a later deadline by which Mirai (if she wants to compete) would have needed to officially confirm to USFS that she intends to go forward with competing at Nats.
Are you saying that you know the date of that later deadline for confirmation? What is the date?

I would find it strange for USFS to publish the athletes list if the deadline for confirmation had not already passed.

For skaters that go through the Regionals/Sectionals qualifying process, alternates are told they can be called in up to 24-hours in advance of the skate. Since Marai got a bye, that does not apply but I think it is still relevant to this conversation.

The real question is are her programs ready to go.

carriecmu0503

On the Ice
For skaters that go through the Regionals/Sectionals qualifying process, alternates are told they can be called in up to 24-hours in advance of the skate. Since Marai got a bye, that does not apply but I think it is still relevant to this conversation.

The real question is are her programs ready to go.

mIrai.

- - - Updated - - -

Is this the first time Michelle has acknowledged the existence of the MK forums?

https://twitter.com/MichelleWKwan/status/1078354657582301189

No. She used to post a Christmas message there every year back when she was still competing.

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Not sure how most of us would know whether or not Mirai registered in August unless she said something one way or the other. Mirai could have and if so, she still has a couple of weeks to decide what she wants to do.

Ashley said she did not register so that one is easy.

If Mirai had registered, wouldn’t she be on the list of competitors that was recently published? See below; senior ladies start at bottom of page 6. Or is it possible she registered but is still not on the list for some reason (ie she withdrew or is still undecided)? I don’t really know how this works.

http://2019uschampionships.com/content/uploads/sites/7/2018/12/Athletes.pdf

She used to post a Christmas message there every year back when she was still competing.

And for almost a decade afterward.

Now that Michelle is not so much in the public eye, the Forum has diminished to a handful of us old die-hards.

Anyway, thanks to brightphoton for the link. :love:

By the way, I went to the USFSA site to see if their Nationals promotion mentioned Mirai specifically. The past winners mentioned were:

Past champions include 2018 Olympians Nathan Chen, Maia Shibutani and Alex Shibutani and Mirai Nagasu and skating legends Meryl Davis & Charlie White, Michelle Kwan, Kristi Yamaguchi and Scott Hamilton.

brightphoton

Medalist
Oh haha, I thought it was the first time, and everyone at MK forums would have a heart attack from the excitement and shock :p now I know it's a normal occurrence. Still, it's a happy event for the Kween's shout-out :)

concorde

Medalist
If Mirai had registered, wouldn’t she be on the list of competitors that was recently published? See below; senior ladies start at bottom of page 6. Or is it possible she registered but is still not on the list for some reason (ie she withdrew or is still undecided)? I don’t really know how this works.

http://2019uschampionships.com/content/uploads/sites/7/2018/12/Athletes.pdf

My guess is MN either did not register in August OR she did but has since decided not to compete. MN not competing at Nationals does not surprise me.

The snarky side of me decided to add the following comment directed at @cartiecmu0503. I chose to not attempt to spell MN's name because god forbid, I may get it wrong and you would have to scold me again.

Agaszka

Rinkside
I didn't see anything about her, unfortunately. After Cup of Russia second coming back will be very hard for her, I don't think we will see her at nationals - it;s impossible to get in shape, get jumps etc. at so short notice.

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I didn't see anything about her, unfortunately. After Cup of Russia second coming back will be very hard for her, I don't think we will see her at nationals - it;s impossible to get in shape, get jumps etc. at so short notice.

She is still on the list as far as I know. I'm travelling a decent distance to see her so selfishly I hope she competes. However, if it would hurt her physically or mentally I don't want her to compete *wraps Gracie in bubble wrap*. She does have to continue competing if she wants to come back, and all her statements have indicated that is the case, and I wonder how big a deal Nationals is for someone who was 4th at Worlds (it may be a huge deal, I have not been on that level in any sport).

Bluediamonds09

Medalist
Its interesting that Heidi munger was the double for Margot Robbie in I Tonya , and now she’s going to nationals! I’ll bet they mention that tidbit on the live broadcast.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I've read comments from several ... up to numerous ... skaters, who had already done well at Worlds and other international events, saying that competing at U.S. nationals is, or was, a very big deal to them. Both in the sense of being a special thrill, an honor and privilege; and in the sense of wanting to prove themselves there.

The first I remember, though, is Katia Gordeeva writing that for her and Sergei, competing at Russian nationals was more stressful than skating at Europeans or Worlds. Of course it may differ from skater to skater.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
The first I remember, though, is Katia Gordeeva writing that for her and Sergei, competing at Russian nationals was more stressful than skating at Europeans or Worlds. Of course it may differ from skater to skater.

I believe it. Nationals is the only event that can end your season and affect what kind of assignments you get the following year. Dick Button had also mentioned that Nationals was the most nerve-wracking event.