2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 206 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

mrrice

Record Breaker
I believe it. Nationals is the only event that can end your season and affect what kind of assignments you get the following year. Dick Button had also mentioned that Nationals was the most nerve-wracking event.

I agree. This is why I think Bradie will retain her title. Just reviewed her results from the season and she really did well. Certainly better than last season and the clear US#1.

Oh haha, I thought it was the first time, and everyone at MK forums would have a heart attack from the excitement and shock :p now I know it's a normal occurrence. Still, it's a happy event for the Kween's shout-out :)

OT -- By the way, here is Michelle skating in Santa Monica on Christmas day. The MK Forumers say she is involved in filming a documentary about Randy Gardner.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br3xxZhH1dd/

(And thre videographer is not bad, too.)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I believe it. Nationals is the only event that can end your season and affect what kind of assignments you get the following year. Dick Button had also mentioned that Nationals was the most nerve-wracking event.

But if she doesn't skate in it, she either won't get any assignments next year or at least not any good ones. If she doesn't skate in it her season is over already.

skatenewbie

Medalist
But if she doesn't skate in it, she either won't get any assignments next year or at least not any good ones. If she doesn't skate in it her season is over already.
she can try getting the SA host pick with competing in summer competition. there is not much of competition to get host pick right now. Look at this year, Megan is good but she's not top skater caliber. Maybe Amber Glenn if she finally get it together or Mirai/Ashley if they want to comeback. Bradie, Ting and Mariah already guaranteed a GP based on top 24 SB so yeah...

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
I do think that mabye she will be ending her competitive career. If you read the interview she gave about her future, she said that when she looks at the competition this season she is thinking if it would not be better to take a step back and let woman's skating progress. She is doing ice shows and is now also training kids, so I don't know if she will even skate next season on a competitive level at all anymore. Not because she couldn't but because she decides not to

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
IFS Mag Article: Ashley Wager on the Road to Recovery

Interesting that it says Ashley original registered for Nationals, although it sounds like she's now planning to go as a spectator.

That's my girl! Being in charge of her own happiness !:hap93::hap10:

Some of the interesting things here, to me, are her assessment of her dark places ... and her long, difficult journey toward happiness. Also, a cute description of what goes on in the Retired Skaters' Gallery at Nationals. :)

moonvine

All Hail Queen Gracie
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I do think that mabye she will be ending her competitive career. If you read the interview she gave about her future, she said that when she looks at the competition this season she is thinking if it would not be better to take a step back and let woman's skating progress. She is doing ice shows and is now also training kids, so I don't know if she will even skate next season on a competitive level at all anymore. Not because she couldn't but because she decides not to

Could you link me that article?

fabienne1996

Medalist
Country
Germany
That is an interview with Ashley. Nothing in there about Gracie. I just checked all the sources I know (which admittedly aren't many) and Gracie still says she intends to retire after the next Olympics.
werent most of us talking about Ashley the last few posts?In my post I was not talking about Gracie but Ashley so sorry for the misunderstanding

ice coverage

Record Breaker
OT -- By the way, here is Michelle skating in Santa Monica on Christmas day. The MK Forumers say she is involved in filming a documentary about Randy Gardner.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Br3xxZhH1dd/

(And thre videographer is not bad, too.)

Sample of the lovely video of MK that Jordan Cowan :bow: was seen shooting:

Must say that the advent of @oniceperspectives :luv17: in 2018 has been a major addition to my enjoyment of skating. :thank:

Or maybe you were referring to the fan-cam videographer, whose contribution I also appreciate. :)
Cool to get a "making of" video of Jordan's work.

p.s. Jordan also shot video of MK skating indoors on Christmas Day:

Its interesting that Heidi munger was the double for Margot Robbie in I Tonya , and now she’s going to nationals! I’ll bet they mention that tidbit on the live broadcast.

Yes, a distinctive factoid that Heidi (who previously competed at 2016 Nats in Senior Ladies) was a double in the movie. :agree:

IIRC(?) from the old IN article, it was a lemons-into-lemonade situation: because Heidi did not qualify again for 2017 Nats, she became available for the shooting demands of the movie.

Hope she does well at 2019 Nats.

For skaters that go through the Regionals/Sectionals qualifying process, alternates are told they can be called in up to 24-hours in advance of the skate. Since Marai got a bye, that does not apply but I think it is still relevant to this conversation.

The real question is are her programs ready to go.

My two cents:

If Mirai is not competing (as I believe, based on her absence from the list), it does not matter to me whether her programs are ready to go.

I doubt that the scenario was that she originally had set her sights on competing, and then unexpectedly feeling unprepared (in spite of diligent training) is what caused her to opt out. YMMV.​

werent most of us talking about Ashley the last few posts?In my post I was not talking about Gracie but Ashley so sorry for the misunderstanding

Some people were talking about Gracie; others about Ashley.

Too many mentions of "she" and "her" (without reference to a name) were getting jumbled together.

Happy New Year to all.

Ice Dance

Record Breaker
Both Mirai & Ashley already competed for a quadrennium longer than I would have initially anticipated. If either is still driven to compete and elects to return to competition, then they certainly can. But I don't think either would just "pop" back into the competitive picture. They know how hard it is to be at the top of the game in skating. They would likely make a very clear statement about returning to competitive skating. (Not a vague one, implying "possibility" or "hope." Those are for marketing purposes). They would announce their music. We would see them compete somewhere. The regular drill. Same with any top athlete that has announced a break.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Both Mirai & Ashley already competed for a quadrennium longer than I would have initially anticipated. If either is still driven to compete and elects to return to competition, then they certainly can. But I don't think either would just "pop" back into the competitive picture. They know how hard it is to be at the top of the game in skating. They would likely make a very clear statement about returning to competitive skating. (Not a vague one, implying "possibility" or "hope." Those are for marketing purposes). They would announce their music. We would see them compete somewhere. The regular drill. Same with any top athlete that has announced a break.

It's good that both remained active in the years after Sochi, because they each achieved a big accomplishment: Ashley a World medal, Mirai an Olympic one. I also think achieving those goals lets them move on to other endeavors with a greater feeling of satisfaction. It doesn't seem like what they'd be able to achieve in the future makes it worth the trouble to train and be at risk for long-term injuries.

bytheriver

On the Ice
Ashely, Gracie and Polina also have an Olympic medal.

Gracie and Ashley do - Polina does not, as she didn’t compete in the team event in 2014. But I think @drivingmissdaisy’s comment was moreso related to the successes Ashley and Mirai have had since 2014 specifically, as either could have retired then and still had a successful career.

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's good that both remained active in the years after Sochi, because they each achieved a big accomplishment: Ashley a World medal, Mirai an Olympic one. I also think achieving those goals lets them move on to other endeavors with a greater feeling of satisfaction. .

I agree. This is one thing I like about the ability of skaters to keep their competitive careers going longer than used to be the case earlier.

It's great for figure skating fans, to see skaters really develop in various directions, and to have some skaters with longevity, to watch their careers over time. I'd hate to think most skaters would be 15-year-old meteorites that are gone in a flash (although if that's what they prefer, okay). I like my stars to glow longer, and I like to appreciate their glowing for awhile.