2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 208 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Karen's injury has obviously not healed, considering her subpar SP performance and ultimate withdrawal from Golden Spin just a month ago.
It's probably better for her not to compete at Nationals under the circumstances.

frida80

Record Breaker
Oh Karen.... :cry:

In 2013, Karen had a successful season in the JGP but soon after got a stress fracture in her foot. She was determined to skate at nationals, and reinjured herself. It's been a common problem with her and why she's been struggling with her skates. She never let that injury heal properly, so her boots always fit poorly with the how the bones healed. It was frustrating seeing her skate at 4CC in 2016, when she was injured from nationals. It's good she's learned not to skate while healing, but I fear for why she got the new injury in the first place.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
It's not good for the sport and it's not good for the athletes.

One-time wonders are not memorable and may seem like a fluke.

Tara Lipinski was no one-time wonder. During her 3 Senior seasons, she won the Champions Series (the GP of that era) twice, and was the 1997 World Champion before becoming the 1998 Olympic champion.

Tara Lipinski was no one-time wonder. During her 3 Senior seasons, she won the Champions Series (the GP of that era) twice, and was the 1997 World Champion before becoming the 1998 Olympic champion.

Oksana Baiul had a short but spectacular amateur career, too. Sometimes you just have to play the cards that life deals you. It's not like the young athletes get to sit down and say, "Let's see, shall I go all out and try to win now or should I play it cool and aim for a longer career?"

fzztsimmons

On the Ice
Yay go Gracie!! I was really worried that her grand prix may have destroyed any of the confidence she may have been slowly beginning to gain, but it sounds as if things are positive, and I am really excited for next season where I feel she may reach top form again!

bobbob

Medalist

This is true, but no one ever said in this thread that she was...why does everyone constantly feel the need to justify Tara's career when we are just having a discussion of longevity, with no mention of her at all? That in itself is quite telling...

I personally think it's the skaters choice. Obviously longevity is better than no longevity but each skater and each human is different; some are better younger but cannot sustain for a long time, others develop as they get older. Both types of skaters are good and healthy to the sport--trying to encourage one type only against the individual's will is detrimental to the sport.

Graciegold2018

Rinkside
Good for Gracie! In the caption it mentions next season, does anyone else think that may mean she will WD from nationals to focus on her preparation for next season?

I am hoping she does not go to nationals, as it is possible that it may destroy her confidence competing against her teammates, not in her peak form yet.

Shani

On the Ice
If she went to Nationals with 100 per cent perspective of just enjoying the experience it will be best to compete now as she will not have returning athlete excemptions next year If she's serious about coming back in a year properly she needs to compete now to get rid of the stress. She just needs to enjoy herself regardless of placement. And her technique is so good she will not be last.

figurefan0726

Final Flight
Good for Gracie! In the caption it mentions next season, does anyone else think that may mean she will WD from nationals to focus on her preparation for next season?

but the thing is, if she doesn’t compete at nationals, she may not get any assignments and will need to go through qualifiers.

Casual

On the Ice
I am hoping she does not go to nationals, as it is possible that it may destroy her confidence competing against her teammates, not in her peak form yet.

It can also give her motivation. If she looks at them and tells herself - I can be better than that, if I work hard, I'll have a fighting chance next year - then even being last will not destroy her confidence.

What she's trying to do is incredibly hard, but there is more than one way to go about it.

figurefan0726

Final Flight

i mean, i read the caption and it said she has been working hard the past few weeks and i think that means she’s preparing for nationals.

irriya

On the Ice
I just realize how late this US national compared to previous year. Why? It would be really close to 4CC.

sheetz

Record Breaker
but the thing is, if she doesn’t compete at nationals, she may not get any assignments and will need to go through qualifiers.

I don't see the point in worrying about that. If Gracie regains her form she will have plenty of opportunities to prove herself. Last season Bradie started from practically zero but by skating well she worked her way up to being National Champion and Olympic team member. Gracie can do the same.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
Not surprised to see Karen withdraw. It's been very obvious this season that she is not ready to compete. I'm glad she's taking the time to let herself heal properly. Hopefully she'll recover 100%, get back to competitive form, find some good skates, and be ready to put forth a strong effort next season.

Good to see Gracie doing a triple. I think that's the first one I've seen since she started her comeback. As for the message her coach left her...it appears as though people in the comments really didn't like what he had to say. I did think the whole "trust" comment was a bit odd but overall I thought it was a nice sentiment.

kwanatic

Check out my YT channel, Bare Ice!
Record Breaker
US nats is later this year due to the fact that there is no olympics.

I think they should move it back to being earlier in January. It gives the skaters who are chosen to the 4CC and worlds team more time to practice.