2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 210 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
She landed a 3A in the team event, but in the individual Olympic event, there were no 3a attempts.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think they should move it back to being earlier in January. It gives the skaters who are chosen to the 4CC and worlds team more time to practice.

Or during Christmas Break when people are more likley to watch it and even attend :think:

Gullygirl84

On the Ice
She landed a 3A in the team event, but in the individual Olympic event, there were no 3a attempts.

Well technically, she did attempt a 3A in the short program, but she fell on it (can't remember if it was rotated or not). My guess would be that USFS generally knew it was an injury that was being "maintained" through the PRP since 2016, but who knows for sure...just seems like it would be hard to keep a secret like that for two years given that she skates at the world arena. If I recall correctly, Rachel's injury happened before worlds. Mirai does not seem concerned given that she tagged USFS in her twitter entry about this (plus she has to recall the details from what happened with Rachel, since Frank made such a big thing about it at the time) , but if USFS feels that this was kept a secret and wants to fine her/make an example of her for consistency purposes, then by all means they should do that and see how that goes. Mirai also talked about this injury at her Northwestern event in the beginning of November.

Then, too, maybe Mirai was so mad at the USFSA over the 2014 incident that she didn't care what they knew or didn't know. Don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing -- take it from somebody who knows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8ga9gU7rGk

As for Rachael -- meh. The USFSA looked like stooges and Rachael went on with her life.

georgia

On the Ice
Why was she mad? She was not good that year. One competition doesn’t send you to the Olympics. But enough on the subject.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Subject change. Have there been any new videos of Gracie jumping? I saw her land a Sal and hope she has her toe and double axel for Nationals. I just hope she a positive experience.

concorde

Medalist
Sierra has been to Nationals before. She got 10th as an Intermediate and 5th as a Novice. She then got 5th in Sectionals as a Juniors so did not make it to Nationals. Last year she then moved to Seniors and again made it to Sectionals but did not finish in the top 4. This will be her first time as a Senior at Nationals.

BTW. She skated in the Michael Weiss show several times.

frida80

Record Breaker
Does anyone know anything about Sierra Venetta and Rena Ikenishi

I watched Rena at sectionals and she really got my attention. She was really determined to make it to nationals this year.

Sierra has been to Nationals before. She got 10th as an Intermediate and 5th as a Novice. She then got 5th in Sectionals as a Juniors so did not make it to Nationals. Last year she then moved to Seniors and again made it to Sectionals but did not finish in the top 4. This will be her first time as a Senior at Nationals.

BTW. She skated in the Michael Weiss show several times.

She actually was 3rd in Novice.

CanadianSkaterGuy

Record Breaker

She did attempt it but in the SP she fell and in the FS she popped it. If she weren't attempting it I'm pretty sure she could have done an easy 2A. Regardless she still reeled off a 3-3. It was ridiculous people coming for her after she delivered the first ratified 8-triple program at the Olympics. And using the lack of a 3A as a slight against her (because you know, everyone was attempting one, right?!) is unfair and trivializes her amazing achievement.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Mirai's individual Olympic FS was nowhere near as good as her FS in the team event. She finished behind both Bradie and Karen in the FS (9, 11, 12).

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Does anyone know anything about Sierra Venetta and Rena Ikenishi

Rena Ikenishi impressed me when I saw her live at the holiday show at Chelsea Piers. (Before then, I knew basically nothing about her, except that her name rang a faint bell.)
She gave a confident and pleasing performance (although my feeble memory :hopelessness: does not remember details).
Totally subjective opinion, but my overall reaction was, "Yup, she is worthy of competing at Nats. :agree:"

BTW, her SP from sectionals is on YouTube: https://youtu.be/0XebmYcZ1jg

I look forward to cheering for her at Nats.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Rena Ikenishi impressed me when I saw her live at the holiday show at Chelsea Piers. (Before then, I knew basically nothing about her, except that her name rang a faint bell.)
She gave a confident and pleasing performance (although my feeble memory :hopelessness: does not remember details).
Totally subjective opinion, but my overall reaction was, "Yup, she is worthy of competing at Nats. :agree:"

BTW, her SP from sectionals is on YouTube: https://youtu.be/0XebmYcZ1jg

I look forward to cheering for her at Nats.

Good for her. That was a great skate and she's adorable.

bubblecherry

Final Flight
Mirai's individual Olympic FS was nowhere near as good as her FS in the team event. She finished behind both Bradie and Karen in the FS (9, 11, 12).

Mirai's team event FS was the ONLY remarkable thing about anything the American girls at the Olympics. She's the only reason the US ladies got any positive attention. It was absolutely deserved and a remarkable achievement. It's unfortunate that the other US ladies couldn't deliver a moment like that because they're also talented, but we're so lucky that Mirai not only put together an amazing performance but did something that no other woman in the world had done up to that moment. She deserves all the credit for that.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
You're comparing Mirai, a veteran of US skating, to Bradie, a newbie in her first major international event.

As the senior member of the US team, Mirai should have been a standout in all phases of the Olympics, but she turned in her best performance right off the bat at the team event and then phoned it in her performances in the individual segments.

As the most junior member of the team, Bradie skated well in the team event, and did better than Mirai and Karen in the individual FS event.

frida80

Record Breaker
You're comparing Mirai, a veteran of US skating, to Bradie, a newbie in her first major international event.

As the senior member of the US team, Mirai should have been a standout in all phases of the Olympics, but she turned in her best performance right off the bat at the team event and then phoned it in her performances in the individual segments.

As the most junior member of the team, Bradie skated well in the team event, and did better than Mirai and Karen in the individual FS event.

Actually, Mirai has been an underdog for several years by then. She spent the last quad getting her confidence back after having it demolished by bad coaching, a string of bad nationals and lots of federation politics. The truth is, it took everything inside of her just to make it to the Olympics. It took her 10 attempts to finally land a clean triple axel. And she landed it when it counted. After the Team event she was the one that got a massive amount of pressure and scrutiny. Even her coach foolishly thought she could win a bronze medal. When she hadn’t even been to Worlds the prior year or won nationals that year? It was completely unfair for everyone to come down on her for not being able to land a triple axel every time, just after she landed it for the first time. You know It took Yuzuru five more attempts to land a clean 4Lo after landing his first one? And he's a two time Olympic champ!

The truth is the pressure was off Bradie and Karen, and completely on Mirai. They could've both done better, but I think they did just fine considering the state of Karen's boots and Bradie's inexperience. I think everyone is way to hard of these girls. There was a lot of pressure on them and the competition was the stiffest its ever been in history. I was expecting an 8th place finish at best for any one of them. This need to win or else, is very counter productive.

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
Mirai skated the program of her life to help the US win team bronze. Based on how the medalists performed, Mirai had no possibility of winning an individual medal even at full health. Her performances also did not affect future world or Olympic spots. I'm not sure why it matters whether or not she was injured.