2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 214 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

skylark

Gazing at a Glorious Great Lakes sunset
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
I think Mariah is at a different stage than Mirai was. She's close to being competitive for the top U.S. lady spot this season and, especially after seeing her growth this year in performance and skating quality, she could be inside the top 8 at Worlds with stronger tech. Mirai has shown that a triple axel won't save a competition if the other triples aren't there and fully rotated.

Excellent points! Actually I agree with you completely. I don't want to see Mariah sacrifice any of her expressive, artistic qualities, or sacrifice working to get a more consistent triple triple. I just couldn't help remembering ... it's still very fresh, what people said about Mirai before the Olympics.

Ahem. You may notice that one of my talents (ETA: or sometimes it's a curse) is to be able to see the other side. I'm like Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof. It can be a bit inconvenient, especially on a forum like GS where many people will hardly even post if it isn't to argue with someone. Still, I like being this way. :)

theharleyquinn

Medalist
Excellent points! Actually I agree with you completely. I don't want to see Mariah sacrifice any of her expressive, artistic qualities, or sacrifice working to get a more consistent triple triple. I just couldn't help remembering ... it's still very fresh, what people said about Mirai before the Olympics.

Ahem. You may notice that one of my talents is to be able to see the other side. I'm like Tevye in Fiddler on the Roof. It can be a bit inconvenient, especially on a forum like GS where many people will hardly even post if it isn't to argue with someone. Still, I like being this way. :)

Yes, it's a difficult situation. In the long run, Mirai getting the triple axel cemented her being on the Olympic team and getting her historic moment. It was bittersweet though, seeing her expression and performance quality falter in the process. Different people with different tastes see different things in that, but it didn't warrant the vitriol she got.

U.S. Figure Skating is interesting. As a community the skaters, officials, and coaches can be quite blunt, especially when talking about international competition, but it doesn't often feel like there's a lot of healthy self-awareness of what could be done to make the overall program better from a developmental standpoint (I find Raf to be a pleasant exception). It breeds a lot of nastiness among fans and an adversarial dynamic between them/media and the skaters. Olympic year U.S. Nationals are my least favorite thing. In non-Olympic years you get to at least see what people's long-term goals are, so there can be more interesting, meaningful discussions for those that are interested in the big picture.

tothepointe

On the Ice
I completely agree. For so many years, the response has often been, "get a thick skin" or "don't take it personally" or even "Grow Up."

But I think the pendulum is swinging back. Human beings, being persons, take things personally to one degree or another, varying by the individual.

I'm interested that the article framed it as a brain thing, not the emotions. If you find it, I'd like a link. :thank:

:eek:topic: (sort of)

I'll PM you when I find it. The problem is remembering what rabbit hole I was going down when I came across it in the first place.

From what I can understand the reason it was described as a brain thing is because our brains response to negative feedback in the same way it would a death threat unless you've specifically and systematically trained yourself to deal with it. And that "training" may not protect you from every negative comment. I think we've all had that one unexpected thing get to us in a way that has our heart thumping in our chest. Social media is triggering our reptile brains.

concorde

Medalist
I It's an odd prioritization for someone who is on the cusp like she is.

Mariah seems to have been on the cusp for years. Whatever she is doing doesn't seem to be working quite right that so mixing it up seems to be a good decision. Bit I also question if working on a 3A is the best use of time if she does not have consistent fully rotated multiple 3-3.

I personally thought that Mirai's focus on the 3A was to the detriment of her other jumps.

Sai Bon

Final Flight
Country
New-Zealand
I'll PM you when I find it. The problem is remembering what rabbit hole I was going down when I came across it in the first place.

From what I can understand the reason it was described as a brain thing is because our brains response to negative feedback in the same way it would a death threat unless you've specifically and systematically trained yourself to deal with it. And that "training" may not protect you from every negative comment. I think we've all had that one unexpected thing get to us in a way that has our heart thumping in our chest. Social media is triggering our reptile brains.

That sounds really interesting, tothepointe! Would love to read the article if you ever find it.

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Ashley Lin's name is absent from the updated Nats list. :(

Eighteen skaters now in the field of senior ladies.

Ashley withdrew from Nationals last year, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Ashley Lin's name is absent from the updated Nats list. :(

Eighteen skaters now in the field of senior ladies.

Ashley withdrew from Nationals last year, too.

mrrice

Record Breaker
Does anyone think Alysa Liu could sneak in for the Bronze assuming Bradie and Mariah go 1 and 2?

ice coverage

Record Breaker
Ashley withdrew from Nationals last year, too. …

At 2018 Nats, Ashley Lin withdrew after the SP, so this year's withdrawal unfortunately is different. :(

Does anyone think Alysa Liu could sneak in for the Bronze assuming Bradie and Mariah go 1 and 2?

FWIW, some (including me) would not be shocked if Alysa placed higher than third.

lusterfan

Final Flight

I wouldn't even be surprised if she placed 1st or 2nd. Bradie/Mariah may be kept in 1st for their reputation's sake going into Worlds, but if Alysa skates cleanly with all her triple axels, it will be close!

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
I'm secretly hoping that, with this weak field, Courtney Hicks can sneak in and grab silver. Usually she has a decent season until Nationals, so perhaps since she had a disappointing GP/Senior B she can flip the script and do well here.

rachno2

Record Breaker
I don't think we should count Ting out either.

I would love to see Ting on the podium, and I think the judges might help her out given her Tallinn scores. She seems to have trouble skating clean, though, which could be fatal with Bradie and Alysa being fierce competitors.