2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 219 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

Elana

On the Ice
Just to confirm, Alysa (born 8 Aug 2005) will be age eligible for the Senior GP in the 2020-21 season and for Worlds/Olympics in 2021-22. Is this correct?

Alysa is eligible for the JGP this coming season 2019/20, then she will stay junior in 2020/21 because of her age. In the fall of 2021 she can compete on the GP and be eligible for the 2022 Olympics in her first year senior.

Sjs5572

Final Flight
I was just about to ask how old Alysa was. We only have 2 spots for world's, right? I think that if Bradie and Mariah go clean, it will be difficult for Alysa to match them in components.

Cui is the biggest threat to a Tennell/Bell Worlds team. Alysa is not even age eligible for Junior Worlds.

natsulian

Final Flight
Let’s all have a prayer circle so that Bradie, Mariah, Alysa, Ting, and many others have clean performances and really put the gauntlet down.

Technically speaking, Bradie seems to have peaked unless she wants to go for a 3A which is highly unlikely. She simply has to refine her jumps and really hone her artistic capabilities.

Mariah, on the other hand, might start adding 3-3’s next season and as her technical components increase, so will her PCs, she’s a naturally gifted performer.

Ting... she’s always had trouble with consistency... if her Short Program goes poorly, her Long will go smoothly, but if her Short turns out to be great, her Long is disasterous. Hopefully she can start to really put out consistent performances because judges LOVE to reward her, but she jeapordizes her chances because of her inconsistency.

Alysa is a blooming talent and honestly, I don’t think much can be said about her until next season when she’ll finally enter the international scene as a junior. Best of luck to her. She seems to be a strong athlete and is likey to handle the pressure well given her outlook on her aspirations from the interviews she’s given.

Best of luck to them! I for one think Nationals will be very exciting with so much fresh blood. We can’t ALWAYS be doom and gloom. ;D

SimplyAFan

On the Ice
I’m rooting for everyone to skate their best. That said, I’m curious to see how Ting does. I would love to see her go to 4cc if she is in the top 3 of age-eligible ladies to get more senior experience but I also think she is the best potential at junior worlds and we need the most potential for JGP spots.

tosca

On the Ice
Cui is the biggest threat to a Tennell/Bell Worlds team. Alysa is not even age eligible for Junior Worlds.
!!!!

I know I am echoing what most people said but I firmly believe that Nationals is an important competition to set up each nation's ISU championship teams. At the end of the day, I feel like it is Bradie's competition to lose. I will admit that her skating style is not my preference but I applaud the strides she has made to improve not only her strong technical arsenal but her artistry and packaging as well (although I personally ABHOR that SP costume). Even if she has a few shakey landings, as long as she skates *clean* I believe she will be on top of the podium.

Although Mariah has had a strong season, has a little bit more of a challenge with her current tech. Judges are willing to reward Mariah with well deserved PCS over Bradie (Golden Spin), but even with a cleaner performance, Mariah's BV is significantly lower than a Bradie and most certainly a clean Alyssa. Mariah will not only need a two clean skates but an added PCS nationals PCS boost.

Ting is my hope for the future of US ladies figure skating. To me, she has the technical ability, the skating skills, and the innate artistry to be a full package skater. She has shown in her JGP as well as Tallinn that the judges are willing to not only reward her on PCS but on GOE. She has a slightly similar tech arsenal as Bradie. Like many people have mentioned, Ting has a history of either bombing her SP or the LP. That being said, after her last JGP and Tallinn, I believe that she will be less startled seeing high scores.

Alyssa is so young! I applaud her talent and excited to see her senior debut but this is a young girl who has a LOT of actual PHYSICAL growth. Who knows how puberty will treat her? That being said, it doesn't take away from the amazing things she already has accomplished. I just can't imagine the USFed would be so haphazard to place her above a somewhat clean age-eligible senior.

:drama:

I can't believe the competition is so soon.

tokoyami

On the Ice
3As =/= always winning

Look at the JP Nats - Rika is a much better 3A jumper than Alysa but wasn't able to nab the gold. I think everyone who thinks she has a shot to actually win is forgetting that the 3A is a BEAST and IMO it would be one heck of a stretch to think that a novice skater who doesn't have a consistent record of landing it cleanly would be able to withstand the pressure to land everything in her program with positive GOE. That's just crazy

That being said, and I apologize if this has been touched on prior to me opening this thread today, does Mariah have a chance in hell in beating Bradie? If they're both clean who wins out? IMO, Mariah has nicer landings and extensions but I understand that Bradie will probably get the PCS boost plus she has the more difficult layout.

oatmella

陈巍
Record Breaker
TSL Dave and Doug Haw both predicted Alysa will win Nationals - which is kinda crazy - but some definitely do think it’s a possibility.

Clean Bradie would certainly score higher than clean Mariah.

truthbooth

On the Ice
I’m rooting for everyone to skate their best. That said, I’m curious to see how Ting does. I would love to see her go to 4cc if she is in the top 3 of age-eligible ladies to get more senior experience but I also think she is the best potential at junior worlds and we need the most potential for JGP spots.

I do wonder what would happen if Ting were to place first or second ahead of Bradie and/or Mariah. It’s within the realm of possibilities. Given her presence, and fortunately success, at Tallinn Trophy, it seems that her team could be positioning her as “ready” for the senior ranks. So presumably, she’d get the 4CC nod, and I’d expect her to attend (especially because it’s very conveniently located this year.)

I wonder if she’d be in the mix for senior Worlds. I’m sure the committee would at least have a discussion about it. In particular, if she were to finish ahead of Mariah, that could give her priority for the spot. She has a slightly higher season’s best total score than Mariah. Plus, she has a silver from Tallinn as opposed to Mariah’s bronze from Zagreb.

If she were to place ahead of Bradie, but behind Mariah, that becomes a stickler situation. Bradie has a higher total season’s best than Ting, by which she earned a gold medal at Autumn Classic. She also has her gold from Zagreb and her bronze from IDF. Therefore, I’d imagine Bradie would get the nod based on body of work, assuming she doesn’t completely bomb at Nationals and finish out of the top 4. FWIW, I’d also assume Bradie’s body of work would give her priority over Mariah, if we’re dealing with a Ting-Mariah-Bradie finish at Nationals.

The question is, if Ting did get a senior Worlds nod, would she go, or would she decline the spot in favor of other competitions? If she declines the spot, would this happen “behind the scenes” or would she officially cede the spot post team announcements to focus on junior Worlds (and probably 4CC)? There’s very little likelihood she’d do all three.

Getting three spots for the US ladies at senior Worlds will be an uphill battle with or without Ting. To your point, Ting could likely benefit the US ladies more at junior Worlds by securing 14 slots on the JGP as opposed to 7. This would require beating the top Japanese and/or Korean lady, which is possible (beating the top Russian lady is most likely not in the cards.) Though she’s likely to benefit the US more at junior Worlds, this may not be aligned with her personal priorities and goals.

It will be interesting to see what happens. The ladies short program at US Nationals is a mere week away!

crazydreamer

On the Ice
Where did Alysa Liu come from? I don't remember any talk about her until this year? Was she a star in novice or whatever? Or did she just randomly learn a 3 axel and 3-3s this year? Wonder if there could be other wunderkinds like her emerging in coming years.

rachno2

Record Breaker
Getting three spots for the US ladies at senior Worlds will be an uphill battle with or without Ting. To your point, Ting could likely benefit the US ladies more at junior Worlds by securing 14 slots on the JGP as opposed to 7.

Agree, I think Ting should go to Junior Worlds, even if she were to beat Mariah or win the whole thing (which I wouldn’t mind! In Karen’s absence, she is my favorite US lady). She may have a high scoring potential, but she is very inconsistent, and has never competed at a major senior international competition before—not something you want to risk when you only have 2 spots. Anything can happen, of course, but it's hard to see a World team that doesn't consist of Bradie and Mariah.

Can a skater do 4CCs and Junior Worlds? Has the US done that before?

tokoyami

On the Ice
TSL Dave and Doug Haw both predicted Alysa will win Nationals - which is kinda crazy - but some definitely do think it’s a possibility.

Clean Bradie would certainly score higher than clean Mariah.

I have to wonder if they're shading the senior ladies by predicting that. Like they think Bradie, Mariah, or Ting are THAT inconsistent/terrible that they'd be beaten by a novice skater with a wonky 3a? Maybe they just didn't think it through.

natsulian

Final Flight
Alysa’s recently just started to be apart of the conversation. However, I remember her father and a few commentators hyping her up back when she was 11-12 because she was backloading and adding 3-3’s already. A few upcoming skaters who are at the Novice level are interesting too. I also remember seeing one or two Junior skaters attempting more difficult 3-3’s and Quads. Changing the topic a little bit, it’s also a little frustrating that the competitive regions have like 7 skaters who score well into the 140s and 150s at Sectionals, but did not make it to Nationals because of the rule while less competitive regions have top skaters who score 110’s and 120’s who make it to Nationals. Hopefully the USFS addresses this.

el henry

Go have some cake. And come back with jollity.
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Bradie, Mariah, Alysa, Ting....

I have another question. I am completely out of it. Julia Biechler is skating singles? As in the dance team Biechler/Dodge out of IceWorks in Aston, Pa?

Where have I been?:confused:

ETA: I know Julia and Damian no longer skate together. I just didn't know she was skating singles:shocked:

ice coverage

Record Breaker
… I have another question. I am completely out of it. Julia Biechler is skating singles? As in the dance team Biechler/Dodge out of IceWorks in Aston, Pa?

Where have I been?:confused:

ETA: I know Julia and Damian no longer skate together. I just didn't know she was skating singles:shocked:

Julia Biechler was competing in singles at the same time that Damian and she were competing in ice dance.

[ETA: In other words, she is continuing her career in singles. :cool:]​

Going back to an older topic:

The event program for Nats gives confirmation in writing that Ting and Megan had/have byes to Nats.

And that the four qualifiers from Easterns are Julia, Rena, Emmy, Heidi.​

Tavi...

Record Breaker
Well, you may turn out to be a prophet! :rock:

But I think that there is another way to look at it. If Alysa Liu skates clean, by which we mean she delivers her full intended technical content including three triple Axels, and with no under-rotations, edge calls or negative GOE, then of course she will lead in TES. That's just arithmetic.

And the higher the TES, the higher the PCS automatically go. (Except for a few outliers like Jason Brown or Adam Rippon who have excellent blade skills but lower tech.) If this happens at U.S. Nationals it is not necessary to wonder if the USFSA prefers the new kid on the block, or if the judges are unduly influenced by audience reaction. That's just figure skating.

Aren’t you forgetting about GOE? Just because someone skates clean and has high base value doesn’t automatically mean she’ll have the highest TES. At least theoretically it depends on the quality of the elements. Also, levels.

Jammers

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
All this talk that the judges won't put Alysa 1st if she outskates everyone else just because she's so young and can't go to Worlds or hasn't even competed on the JGP is nonsense. Russia put a 12 year old on the top of their podium in 2008 and she wasn't even eligible for the JGP for two more seasons. Yes Russia was at a low point with having no good Senior ladies skaters which would explain a 12 year old winning their Nationals but this was really the beginning of the Russian domination in Juniors and then in Seniors a few years later. Lets face it the US is not exactly stacked with world beating contenders at the moment either. Beyond Bradie, Mariah,Ting and Alysa the field is rather lukewarm. It really does feel a bit like 2008 again.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
I have to wonder if they're shading the senior ladies by predicting that. Like they think Bradie, Mariah, or Ting are THAT inconsistent/terrible that they'd be beaten by a novice skater with a wonky 3a? Maybe they just didn't think it through.

It's not that wonky - and her 3As have gotten stronger with each outing.
I know we can't compare sectionals to nationals, but if she got the same score at nationals for her SP as at Pacific Coast Sectionals, she'd have a new national record. (She earned 74.94).

drivingmissdaisy

Record Breaker
It's not that wonky - and her 3As have gotten stronger with each outing.
I know we can't compare sectionals to nationals, but if she got the same score at nationals for her SP as at Pacific Coast Sectionals, she'd have a new national record. (She earned 74.94).

Alysa hasn't skated against really good seniors before, so I'm very interested to see how she is judged when compared to skaters like Bradie and Mariah. Her jumps don't have a lot of height and she isn't especially fast across the ice, which is understandable since she's 13. However, she also has a lot of great performance qualities, and her SP is especially cute, so she could still get solid marks.