2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 220 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

louisa05

Final Flight
Alysa hasn't skated in a senior event or with a huge crowd, hype and television cameras, either.

Who knows how she will respond to all of that.

Elana

On the Ice
Did anyone else watch juv girls? 68 is an insane score!!! The girl’s name was Kanon, kind of reminded me of Hanna Harrell when she was that level, Hope she follows a similar path as I see some potential in her. Also believe her coach is Tammy, but I might be wrong, very impressive for a juvenile skater.

Sam-Skwantch

“I solemnly swear I’m up to no good”
Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Did anyone else watch juv girls? 68 is an insane score!!! The girl’s name was Kanon, kind of reminded me of Hanna Harrell when she was that level, Hope she follows a similar path as I see some potential in her. Also believe her coach is Tammy, but I might be wrong, very impressive for a juvenile skater.

There is no video from this event is there?

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Yes, I saw Juvenile Girls, and Kanon was quite impressive. I am now watching the Boys, and I have to say Luc Broussard was even more amazing---not only does he have technical skills, but his presentation is mature beyond his years. He scored 66.01, in an event where the average score is in the low 40s. (The Girls' average score is in the low 50s---juvie girls tend to score quite a bit higher than boys as girls mature earlier.)

In the US, you can watch live or on demand on https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/

SnowWhite

Record Breaker
Country
Canada
I have to wonder if they're shading the senior ladies by predicting that. Like they think Bradie, Mariah, or Ting are THAT inconsistent/terrible that they'd be beaten by a novice skater with a wonky 3a? Maybe they just didn't think it through.

I mean, lots on people on here and on other forums have predicted that will or at least could, win. They aren't the only ones saying that.

MarinHondas

Final Flight

That is a monsterous score for a juvenile lady. Looks like she did a triple toe and two double axels. I didn't watch, does she have potential in the artisic/musicality department? Hows her ss? (bearing in mind she's a juvenile lady ofc:))

mrrice

Record Breaker
Alysa hasn't skated against really good seniors before, so I'm very interested to see how she is judged when compared to skaters like Bradie and Mariah. Her jumps don't have a lot of height and she isn't especially fast across the ice, which is understandable since she's 13. However, she also has a lot of great performance qualities, and her SP is especially cute, so she could still get solid marks.

This is why skate order will be important for her. I think if she performs right before Bradie, or right after, her lack of speed and maturity will be a big problem for her. However, if she's in a weaker flight she could get a big number if she goes clean. I'm excited to see how things go.

Elana

On the Ice
That is a monsterous score for a juvenile lady. Looks like she did a triple toe and two double axels. I didn't watch, does she have potential in the artisic/musicality department? Hows her ss? (bearing in mind she's a juvenile lady ofc:))

Yeah her technical content was impressive, idk how I feel about the juvs doing triples/ 2+2+2, I feel like it gives less separation through the levels. Similar to how girls in intermediate are doing 3lz+3t, yet some girls in junior don’t even do 3+3, at that point just throw them all together. Anyways, I’d have to watch again for SS, she was a very smooth and pretty skater and did score higher components then the rest, but I do think she shows a lot of potential!

sheetz

Record Breaker

Do you happen to know her age? My understanding is that juvenile competitors can be of a pretty wide range of ages. So a 12 year old with that score would be a lot less impressive than a 9 year old.

Elana

On the Ice
Do you happen to know her age? My understanding is that juvenile competitors can be of a pretty wide range of ages. So a 12 year old with that score would be a lot less impressive than a 9 year old.

I don’t know her age, this is the first I have heard of her, she was pretty tiny, but you never know. Icenetwork always did articles for all the level and usually said ages, maybe they’ll do that on fanzone too?

gkelly

Record Breaker
This is the first year since around the turn of the century that triples (only one) have been allowed at Juvenile level in the US.

My understanding was that at the time, almost 20 years ago, the thinking was that the rare young skater who had a competition-ready triple (or more) should test up to Intermediate.

In the meantime the level of jump content at higher levels has risen around the world and USFS is trying to catch up by offering bonuses for higher level jumps at developmental competition levels. Which means that now the top intermediates might be attempting multiple triples. Which puts talented younger skaters who are just starting to land triples in a dilemma: better to test up and try the triple(s) but be less likely to qualify for Nationals (or, in some regions, even for Sectionals)? Or stay juvenile and rely on non-jump skills to try to stand out from the rest of the double axel kids, and then get thrown in the triple deep end next year?

Allowing one triple in juvenile allows them to split the difference.

Competing at Nationals will no longer be an option after this year, but medaling at Sectionals and getting invited to the national training camp would be the next best thing for young competitors aiming to get noticed at this point in their careers.

Elana

On the Ice
This is the first year since around the turn of the century that triples (only one) have been allowed at Juvenile level in the US.

My understanding was that at the time, almost 20 years ago, the thinking was that the rare young skater who had a competition-ready triple (or more) should test up to Intermediate.

In the meantime the level of jump content at higher levels has risen around the world and USFS is trying to catch up by offering bonuses for higher level jumps at developmental competition levels. Which means that now the top intermediates might be attempting multiple triples. Which puts talented younger skaters who are just starting to land triples in a dilemma: better to test up and try the triple(s) but be less likely to qualify for Nationals (or, in some regions, even for Sectionals)? Or stay juvenile and rely on non-jump skills to try to stand out from the rest of the double axel kids, and then get thrown in the triple deep end next year?

Allowing one triple in juvenile allows them to split the difference.

Competing at Nationals will no longer be an option after this year, but medaling at Sectionals and getting invited to the national training camp would be the next best thing for young competitors aiming to get noticed at this point in their careers.

I'm kind of glad they aren't having lower level nationals anymore, though I love watching it. I definitely see your points, I guess after reading them, I don't really have a problem with the juvs doing one triple. It's more how do you jump from one triple in juv to whatever triples you want in intermediate and above? The girls who were on the podium in juv are obviously both young and talented and will continue to top the podium, but to me they were almost "too good" for juv. Alysa Liu and Kassie Carpentier both won intermediate with just a triple sal 3 and 4 years ago, now it seems like girls are almost staying in a lower just to win. I'm not trying to unjustify anyone's wins, Kanon 100% deserved to win this morning and is very talented, but the only place to show that talent for her is in juvenile because she isn't quite good enough for intermediate nationals yet. However, I feel that some of the girls in intermediate could be succesful in novice, and some of the novices in junior because all the levels are so similar. If they weren't doing away with nationals next year, I would wish they would put more guidelines and rules in to dicrepensate between the levels. I'm not sure if that made any sense. I just wish there was a better system in place to gauge the growth and talent of these skaters, so the ones with exceptional skating at the right ages could really shine. I'm hoping this is what USFS is trying to achieve with the system they will be using in this coming year, the sport is moving forward and I think they are trying their best to stay on top of that. :)

truthbooth

On the Ice
The jump content in the Intermediate Ladies SP at Nationals was impressive and a notable step-up from previous years.

10/12 skaters attempted at least two triples with the current top two, Lindsay Thorngren and Isabeau Levito, attempting triple-triple combinations. Still waiting to see protocols for the rotation calls, but such an ambitious effort for these young skaters.

frida80

Record Breaker
The jump content in the Intermediate Ladies SP at Nationals was impressive and a notable step-up from previous years.

10/12 skaters attempted at least two triples with the current top two, Lindsay Thorngren and Isabeau Levito, attempting triple-triple combinations. Still waiting to see protocols for the rotation calls, but such an ambitious effort for these young skaters.

We come a long way since Alexia Paganini landed two clean triples as an intermediate and one was invalidated because only one triple was allowed at the time.

natsulian

Final Flight
Lindsay and Isabeau’s attempts at 3-3’s were great, although the former received an underrotation call for her Lutz-Toeloop. The novices next year will be amazing to watch as they develop because nearly all of the Intermediate girls going up have at least two solid triples and the top ones already have 3-3 combos. Their basic figure skating skills are also great too with fluid movements.