2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating | Page 223 | Golden Skate

2018-19 U.S. Ladies' figure skating

andromache

Record Breaker
It's great to see younger girls attempting the difficult triple jumps. Fingers crossed that the tech panels are being strict on them though. The last thing the US ladies need is a crop of girls with UR problems because they were let go at a lower level.

LisaD

Spectator
Kate Wang may have attempted a triple triple combo but the judges still gave her extremely low PCS. Especially in the long program. Just wondering why that might be.

macy

Record Breaker
something worth noting-

Calista Choi had a 5+ point lead in PCS over the 2nd place skater in novice ladies. can't wait to watch her now :love:

chuckm

Record Breaker
Country
United-States
Calista was blazingly fast compared to the other girls, and her jumps were really high and landed securely. Many of the others did lots of jumps, but struggled with the landings.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
I noticed Calista also has really nice edges and soft knees. Her main coach is Bradie’s so I’m confident she should get a 3-3 for a possible jgp debut? She must have a great SS coach though..

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker
Is there a video of Calista? I'd love to watch her. How old is she? Maybe, if our JWC team gets back 2 spots in 7 events, she could make her JGP debut next year. I wonder who the JGP team will be - Ting will likely move up to seniors with such a high SB (ahead of Mariah!) but I could see Pooja and Hanna, especially, sticking around for one or two more JGP seasons. I'm not sure what Gabriella Izzo's plans are for next year, since didn't she get into Harvard? :)clap:) Alysa obviously will be on the JGP. So with 7 slots, it could be Alysa (x2), Hanna (x2), Pooja (x1/2) and Calista (x1/2) if Gabriella doesn't do the JGP again.

I hope Kate doesn't get too focused on the lower PCS but rather uses it as motivation to improve in those areas. It must hurt to be scored rather highly in TES and have your total score dragged down by PCS. She attempted a 3Lz-3T in the SP! That's great to see from a novice lady and I hope we see more and more difficult 3-3s like this from novices in the future. She's still rather young iirc so she has a little bit of time to clean up her rotations and PCS before making her JGP debut.

LenaRadiFan

On the Ice
Kate Wang may have attempted a triple triple combo but the judges still gave her extremely low PCS. Especially in the long program. Just wondering why that might be.
Actually I think that's great in theory, I haven't watched to performance so I can't really have an opinion if it was justified or not(maybe she gave the skate of her life) but difficult jumps should not result in better pcs bc it doesn't have correlation with each other

natsulian

Final Flight
Calista was so fast on the ice and her landings were so solid. She’s got the technique AND the artistic skills. Poor Kate though... she fell on her 3Lz-3Lo attempt, doubled the last 3S in her 3S-Euler-3S attempt (called under-rotated). However, she fought through and attempted another 3Lz combo by adding in a 2T.

I love how a lot of these young skaters don’t melt after a problem and think ahead. The two biggest examples I saw during these events were Kate and Linday. Lindsay fell on her 3Lz-3T attempt, went for it again and nailed it, then changed what was to be a single 3F into a combo to add in the missed 2T at the beginning.

MarinHondas

Final Flight
Is there a video of Calista? I'd love to watch her. How old is she? Maybe, if our JWC team gets back 2 spots in 7 events, she could make her JGP debut next year. I wonder who the JGP team will be - Ting will likely move up to seniors with such a high SB (ahead of Mariah!) but I could see Pooja and Hanna, especially, sticking around for one or two more JGP seasons. I'm not sure what Gabriella Izzo's plans are for next year, since didn't she get into Harvard? :)clap:) Alysa obviously will be on the JGP. So with 7 slots, it could be Alysa (x2), Hanna (x2), Pooja (x1/2) and Calista (x1/2) if Gabriella doesn't do the JGP again.

I hope Kate doesn't get too focused on the lower PCS but rather uses it as motivation to improve in those areas. It must hurt to be scored rather highly in TES and have your total score dragged down by PCS. She attempted a 3Lz-3T in the SP! That's great to see from a novice lady and I hope we see more and more difficult 3-3s like this from novices in the future. She's still rather young iirc so she has a little bit of time to clean up her rotations and PCS before making her JGP debut.

How to watch:
Click this link : https://usfigureskatingfanzone.com/watch/?Live=104&type=Live
click "On demand"
click "Novice ladies FS"
scroll to time 53:10 and this is when Calista is introducted/starts.

Also- looks like Calista is 14.

Spirals for Miles

Anna Shcherbakova is my World Champion
Record Breaker

MarinHondas

Final Flight
None of the links on there work for me :( just a black screen. Oh well.
So I wouldn't be surprised if she makes her JGP debut next season! especially if Pooja does indeed move up to the senior GP.

So sorry, it seems they just took the videos down(worked about an hour ago) as they are not streaming any more live parts of nationals on fanzone... here's a small clip of her SP I found: https://www.instagram.com/p/Bs6HrFjBSk7/

Elana

On the Ice

And Milly hopefully x2, she's my favorite! What's the age on JGP, Gabbie will be 18 this year so is she too old next year? Also would they give a spot to a novice over some of the juniors?

MarinHondas

Final Flight
And Milly hopefully x2, she's my favorite! What's the age on JGP, Gabbie will be 18 this year so is she too old next year? Also would they give a spot to a novice over some of the juniors?

she's not too old, you can be 19 on the JGP as a lady.
Although, she did get into Harvard so I could see her taking a step back from skating a bit and going for that amazing opportunity.

natsulian

Final Flight
Congrats to the US Junior Ladies.

Some notes:
- Gabriella Izzo landed a 3Lz-3Lo, but it was called under-rotated
- Lots of 3Lz-3T attempts, but many were under-rotated or doubled
- PCS’s were not very high

truthbooth

On the Ice
Speaking of Gabriella Izzo, she excitingly attempted a 3ltz-3loop in her short! called under, not downgraded though!! Great job! Hoping for a video, as I don't have NBC gold.
https://www.usfigureskating.org/leaderboard/results/2019/27958/CAT013SEG025.html

Yes. A good step forward for Gabriella to attempt the 3-3. I also enjoyed Emilia Murdock. She has a lot of nice qualities including solid 3Lz (with “e”) and 3F from which she can hopefully work on 3-3s. I would anticipate seeing her on the JGP next fall. Does anyone know more about her training situation? It seems that she’s now skating out of San Francisco, but she’s still coached by Peter and Mark?

I also really enjoyed Emily Zhang, currently in 5th and coached by Priscilla Hill. She fell on a 3S+3Lo<<, but she has lovely extension and musicality for which she deservedly received the highest PCS of the event. It looks like Audrey Shin has moved from Rafael over to Tom and Tammy in Colorado Springs. She has promise, but unfortunately, recurring under-rotation issues plagued her here again, as her triple jumping passes were called 3Lz<+3T< and 3F<.

Overall, it’s pretty tight among the top skaters. Best wishes for the free skating!

Elana

On the Ice
Yes. A good step forward for Gabriella to attempt the 3-3. I also enjoyed Emilia Murdock. She has a lot of nice qualities including solid 3Lz (with “e”) and 3F from which she can hopefully work on 3-3s. I would anticipate seeing her on the JGP next fall. Does anyone know more about her training situation? It seems that she’s now skating out of San Francisco, but she’s still coached by Peter and Mark?

I also really enjoyed Emily Zhang, currently in 5th and coached by Priscilla Hill. She fell on a 3S+3Lo<<, but she has lovely extension and musicality for which she deservedly received the highest PCS of the event. It looks like Audrey Shin has moved from Rafael over to Tom and Tammy in Colorado Springs. She has promise, but unfortunately, recurring under-rotation issues plagued her here again, as her triple jumping passes were called 3Lz<+3T< and 3F<.

Overall, it’s pretty tight among the top skaters. Best wishes for the free skating!

Milly is representing San Fran so she could compete in that region and section I believe. She still lives and trains in Boston with MJM. I wish she would do a 3+3 too, she needs it to really be competitive on the JGP next season.

Overall as a group I thought the pcs were a little low too.

truthbooth

On the Ice
Milly is representing San Fran so she could compete in that region and section I believe. She still lives and trains in Boston with MJM. I wish she would do a 3+3 too, she needs it to really be competitive on the JGP next season.

Thanks for the information!